Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Supercharger would be nice for the old redneck rocket, but I am thinking about an e-rod LT1. Not so sure the LT4 would fit without using saws and hammers. Funniest part is that its history basically adds up to 235,000 miles of being used as a daily commuter by... my Mom :laugh:
She couldn't get in and out of it anymore and ended up in a BMW 435.
I was not about to let it get sold off to some rando...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Supercharged v8 brings me back. She’s the one that got away. :(

View attachment 825714

Now I drive boring stuff with utility.

View attachment 825716

giphy.gif

Do it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
My one that got away was a 1976 BMW 2002. I still miss it.

I always wanted a 2003 BMW M3. I thought that was a beautiful car.

What is love to do after I buy a house with some land (hopefully I can move back to Texas soon) is rebuild a classic and retrofit it with a hybrid engine or even a full on EV. I love the idea of taking an old defender, Bronco or something like that and making it into a 4x4 that gets 60mpg while looking top notch.

1966-1977 Ford Bronco EV System - Electric GT

https://www.twistedautomotive.com/en-US/electric/
Electric Land Rover Defender Conversion | Twisted Automotive

Reactions: Austrianwing

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Nah, while I miss it people are asking crazy prices. Rather have a C7 Vette or a nice Porsche Boxter in than money range.
Nothing rational, but I like the C6 era better. My neighbor just sold his Porsche 914, would have loved to grab that, but a Boxster would be awesome. If I was to get back into the BMW world, I think I would want an M2. I don't need a track car, I want something that is fun on the road. Fun leads to better driving. It was only the good drivers that could keep up in the twisties with me behind the wheel of that '76 BMW. There are a lot of faster cars than that old box, but when you can reliably steer with the throttle....
Had my moment of glory when a guy in a Carerra 4 911 got out of sorts behind me going through a decreasing radius turn with bumps. He almost went off into the canyon. My piece of shit car was so predictable that I could actually feel comfortable with all four tires singing.
In all fairness that canyon road was my daily commute. I would make folks uncomfortable trying to keep up with the 83 Buick wagon

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Today marks the 30th anniversary of John Candy's death. I did not learn he passed away until the next day when it was discussed on Channel One (the news show we watched in school). Information moved slower in those days.
Channel One! Now there's a blast from the past.

As for John Candy, he was quite the underrated actor. Love me some Great Outdoors.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Today marks the 30th anniversary of John Candy's death. I did not learn he passed away until the next day when it was discussed on Channel One (the news show we watched in school). Information moved slower in those days.

Dating in your late 30s be like...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Get what you pay for. Mail delivery is mandated by the constitution but for some reason people think it needs to make money and subsequently squeezed to death (so it can be privatized, and then good luck living in the boonies and getting anything delivered). The military doesn't have to make money, why should the post office?

And I say this fighting with my post office currently, have been trying to get a mail key for the mailbox cluster on our cul-de-sac for 6 months now. Every week when I'm waiting in line to pick up my mail and check on key progress I hear people bitching about the USPS and shitty service. It needs to be properly funded and the bullshit they did with their pension rules certainly didn't help and is going to take some time to undo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Get what you pay for. Mail delivery is mandated by the constitution but for some reason people think it needs to make money and subsequently squeezed to death (so it can be privatized, and then good luck living in the boonies and getting anything delivered). The military doesn't have to make money, why should the post office?

There's a reason companies like FedEx and UPS have historically used USPS to deliver packages to expensive areas. I remember people saying they hated USPS and used FedEx only to have their expensive FedEx package show up from their usual mail carrier. Think about that, it is cheaper for those companies to pay USPS to deliver than to do it themselves.

Anyway, agreed completely about your points. Treat it like a public service and we'll be in good shape. Of course instead it's going to be like everything and slowly bled to death until private companies can swoop in and start charging more for less.

Reactions: Ricelund and jaster

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There's a reason companies like FedEx and UPS have historically used USPS to deliver packages to expensive areas. I remember people saying they hated USPS and used FedEx only to have their expensive FedEx package show up from their usual mail carrier. Think about that, it is cheaper for those companies to pay USPS to deliver than to do it themselves.

Anyway, agreed completely about your points. Treat it like a public service and we'll be in good shape. Of course instead it's going to be like everything and slowly bled to death until private companies can swoop in and start charging more for less.
Mhm. Gonna be a lot of shocked Pikachu faces when old folks living in empty areas that like to vote against their best interests suddenly not being able to get the shit they ordered online without monumental delivery fees. Private companies aren't going to maintain delivery routes to super rural areas.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Has anybody ever performed or hired out home soundproofing?

When the time comes to finish our basement, I want a music room. I've been reading up on all the sound mitigation techniques to properly isolate the area from the rest of the house (adding mass, decoupling, room within a room, etc.) and I understand the concepts and the overall process. But when it comes to actual execution, I'm more Tim Taylor than Bob Villa in the home improvement department. So hearing from somebody who has gone through it would be helpful.

I'm torn between the much higher cost of at least partially hiring it out, and how much time and concentrated effort (for a guy who isn't exactly handy) to try to do it right.

Any home recording gurus with any feedback? (This would be the works, with dual drywall layers, green glue, mineral wool insulation, hat channel, double stud walls, etc. Roughly a 10x16 footprint, and the existing unfinished 9 ft ceiling includes two lengths of ductwork and some water lines that will need to be addressed, but with that amount of headroom, I might just put a round of treatments in the rafters and then use a drop ceiling with another round of treatments, to avoid having to reroute existing duct/water lines.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad