And Then Everyone Dared Disturb the Sound of Silence (CBA & Lockout) XXIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanklite*

Yep.

LeBrun on RDS said the media knows where these talks are being held. Proskauer (sp?) office in NYC. He said he and other media types were heading down there tonight.

Interesting.

The Proskauer company's site says this about their company:

"firm is involved, representing multinational corporations, not-for-profit institutions and individuals in corporate, litigation, labor and employment, real estate, health care, personal planning, tax and intellectual property matters."

LadyKing17

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Clarita
The tweets could have been deleted simply because of all the people who freaked out over them. He usually seems like a level-headed guy who gets annoyed by exaggerated hysteria.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Interesting.

The Proskauer company's site says this about their company:

"firm is involved, representing multinational corporations, not-for-profit institutions and individuals in corporate, litigation, labor and employment, real estate, health care, personal planning, tax and intellectual property matters."
They're famous for union busting. Bettman and Stern are both alumni. They represent the NHL, the NBA, the NFL and MLB.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Still think this deal gets done shortly. In fact, I think the fact that there seem to be some leaks might be a good thing. Helps to build the excitement and anticipation of a deal being struck. Is it going to happen, no its not, well maybe, oh my god there has been a concession finally, Bettman did what? Fehr back down??

It's smoke and mirrors, a deal is close at hand.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
Has contraction ever happened before in the NHL?

While it does seem logical to place bleeding franchises in unestablished markets, it's no easy feat. There are negotiating costs with a new owner if the initial owner does not want to move the city, negotiation with the relocation's city government, hiring new arena/hockey operations/management staff, brand creation, etc etc etc. While it seems "easy." It's still the owners who will have to foot an immediate bill that goes way beyond the losses of a single season. If it were so simple, the Coyotes would have been long out of Phoenix.

And what I've briefly, and haphazardly outlined does not even take into account the huge risk that the new market fails too.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Still think this deal gets done shortly. In fact, I think the fact that there seem to be some leaks might be a good thing. Helps to build the excitement and anticipation of a deal being struck. Is it going to happen, no its not, well maybe, oh my god there has been a concession finally, Bettman did what? Fehr back down??

It's smoke and mirrors, a deal is close at hand.

Most likely some sort of offer was made, they decided to take a break, a bunch of people were all emotional and angry after the offer was made and texted all their friends and the news was leaked in the heat of the moment.

Doesn't necessarily reflect how things will continue.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Another TO team, Quebec, Seattle..there's 3 better markets.

The PA is just saying, if you wanna tough it out with these dogs, you've gotta nut up and pay for it...not only the players.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Im sorry Kansas City?

yup, there have been sustainability and viability studies done. it was actually a place rumored for the islander to move to, and they hosted a preseason game their last year which sold out and was a massive success. they didnt do that on accident. yahoo had an article about it last year as well

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
This was a rhetorical question...the answer is NO.
Relocation is contraction + expansion. If you relocate teams to viable markets, then you forego the chance to expand there. The NHL trying to keep the weaker teams where they are means more NHLPA members especially once you expand.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Why does my fav sport have to be a total cluster****? I'm sitting here at work, waiting for some new tweets to appear...good god.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
The NHL is so good at making things really difficult. It's the George Can'tstandsya of Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad