Marlies Discussion: AND Prospects Thread: 2014/15 Season V.7 - Marlies Pushing for the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I don't see much upside in CV at all to be honest. Outside from 1 good training camp I just don't see a quality nhler. Seems like at very best he's like Matt stajan. I don't have a sample size to go off of like yourself but that's just what I've seen. Would you say he's just a product of perlini or that he's a promising prospect in his own right?

If he could even become another Matt Stajan that would be terrific. Stajan was much more accomplished at the same age, has had a solid 11 year career as a 2nd/3rd line type and might end up playing 1000+ games in the NHL.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
If he could even become another Matt Stajan that would be terrific. Stajan was much more accomplished at the same age, has had a solid 11 year career as a 2nd/3rd line type and might end up playing 1000+ games in the NHL.

Everyone wants a Lidstrom, however, Stajan is a good comparable. Just has to keep his head up is all

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Todd crocker tweeted he was banged up and Finn was itching to get in

How did he do?

Considering they got smoked, I doubt he was the reason as they were playing GR one of the better teams.

But how much did he play and how did he look?

He was on the ice with Mikkelson for his 2 minuses. Mikkelson was -3.

How are Mikkelson's wheels?

mikebel111*

How did he do?

Considering they got smoked, I doubt he was the reason as they were playing GR one of the better teams.

Good job with the subtle shots:laugh:

Finn as expected was rusty. However nowhere near the worst player yesterday. When only 2 d man finished a plus rating, that should tell you the night the team had.
Finn was playing great hockey before getting injured after the call up. He will be fine but man the Marlies PP is terribad

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
How did he do?

I didn't watch it just answering the question from a tweet I read. Mikkelson is pretty junk tho from the games I've seen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good job with the subtle shots:laugh:

Finn as expected was rusty. However nowhere near the worst player yesterday. When only 2 d man finished a plus rating, that should tell you the night the team had.
Finn was playing great hockey before getting injured after the call up. He will be fine but man the Marlies PP is terribad

Your defense of Finn is wonderful.

But it isn't like I'm attacking Finn, just questioning how his development is going.

You can be honest, and acknowledge he was demoted this year, and he's just another prospect. We aren't discussing a Nylander, or top 10 player here. Not every player is going to be a star, or a top pairing defender, and although he was ranked in the 1st. round he's a 2nd. round pick with footspeed issues.

What are the odds of 2nd. round picks actually becoming more than a depth player in the NHL? And all NHL teams need depth players, that isn't a bad thing.

EDIT: I wondered if Mikkelson was someone to shelter Finn, or if it was a bad choice. Mikkelson a journeyman hockey player with 131 NHL games under his belt. Coaches sometimes like to put rookies with vets, even if it isn't that best choice.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

I didn't watch it just answering the question from a tweet I read. Mikkelson is pretty junk tho from the games I've seen

I agree with this. Not exactly a good player to pair Finn with

The D corps should be
Percy
Granberg
Nilsson
Loov
Finn
Brennan

Pairings something like (not sure about LHD and RHD)
Percy-Granberg
Nilsson-Loov
Finn-Brennan

This way 3 PMD on each pairings like(though I could consider Finn as one but not in traditional sense), and 3 positional players)

PP pairings
Percy-Brennan
Finn-Loov
Could change if Gord prefers 4 forwards on 1st PP

PK pairings
Percy-Granberg
Nilsson-Loov
Though Finn could here as well

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
How has Finn looked overall this year in the AHL?

Where do you see him playing next year, and what is his realistic NHL future looking like?

mikebel111*

Your defense of Finn is wonderful.

But it isn't like I'm attacking Finn, just questioning how his development is going.

You can be honest, and acknowledge he was demoted this year, and he's just another prospect. We aren't discussing a Nylander, or top 10 player here. Not every player is going to be a star, or a top pairing defender, and although he was ranked in the 1st. round he's a 2nd. round pick with footspeed issues.

What are the odds of 2nd. round picks actually becoming more than a depth player in the NHL? And all NHL teams need depth players, that isn't a bad thing.

Thanks but I am not going to resort to making judgements and downgrading players after 1 year. I guess we should forget about last year in OHL(what you have done for me lately only applies:sarcasm:

I already did say he wasnt good early on and hence he was dropped to ECHL. Than his play improved and got called back up and was playing close to his level in junior after than got hurt at a bad time. If you wont discuss about his improved play after than I see where this is going

mikebel111*

How has Finn looked overall this year in the AHL?

Where do you see him playing next year, and what is his realistic NHL future looking like?

Its been very up and down
Injury filled bad early on, sent down to ECHL, than got back up here and played really well before getting hurt again.
He should get prime minutes in the AHL next season and potential is still there to be work horse 2 way top 4 d man.
But hey we know guaranteed bust because he didnt tear it up rookie season:sarcasm: and potential isnt good anymore.
He will be fine but needs to stay healthy.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the Finn update.

Another guy I'm curious about and haven't heard anything about this year is Rinat Valiev. He's a darkhorse D-man prospect for us IMO. We took him in the 3rd round last year, and this year he put up 46 points in 52 games for Kootenay in the WHL.

Anyone seen him play or have a good projection for him?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I am a homer but whenever I see Nylander play, I see Giroux. Nylander has that uncanny ability to strip pucks...I bet he'll have the most takeaways on the Leafs by a fair margin.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
How has Finn's skating progressed? Is he still having trouble pivoting and getting a good first step? Skating is such a big part of the game and if he's still struggling... what will that say to his offensive capabilities and even daily defensive maneuvers like establishing good gap control?

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I agree with this. Not exactly a good player to pair Finn with

The D corps should be
Percy
Granberg
Nilsson
Loov
Finn
Brennan

Pairings something like (not sure about LHD and RHD)
Percy-Granberg
Nilsson-Loov
Finn-Brennan

This way 3 PMD on each pairings like(though I could consider Finn as one but not in traditional sense), and 3 positional players)

PP pairings
Percy-Brennan
Finn-Loov
Could change if Gord prefers 4 forwards on 1st PP

PK pairings
Percy-Granberg
Nilsson-Loov
Though Finn could here as well

Is Valiev gonna make the Leafs out of camp?? He will be in the top 4 for the marlies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Carter Verhaege with A really good game today for the ice dogs solid in the circle two assists and displayed great leadership in the third period to secure the win. He got Ho-Sangs attention on the bench after Williamson sat him for two shifts following the giveaway that resulted in the third 67's goal. Overall nice game by CV.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Carter Verhaege with A really good game today for the ice dogs solid in the circle two assists and displayed great leadership in the third period to secure the win. He got Ho-Sangs attention on the bench after Williamson sat him for two shifts following the giveaway that resulted in the third 67's goal. Overall nice game by CV.

Saw the 2nd and 3rd period of this game. Verhaeghe was again strong, one thing you notice is he has good vision for a Center. Get open and he will find you with accurate passes.

I see him as a potential top 9 fwd probable #3C if he continues to progress. He has more offensive potential that Gauthier IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad