Analyzing Dubas's performance II - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I would like to see us get a real psychopath like Corey Perry on a Spezza type deal, maybe a Western Conference prototypical forechecking beast with size, could be a versatile guy like a Tomas Nosek, and take a flyer on a guy like Sam Bennett who enjoys that rambunctious higher energy play. And distribute them throughout the lineup as required.
Completely agree. I hadn't thought of Corey Perry but having a big body that pisses the other team off while chipping in a few goals here and there from the 3rd/4th line would be a good add. And he's from Peterborough so he just might want to come home and play.

I was thinking last week that Bennett would be a guy that could use a change of scenery and would inject some grit and energy to our bottom 6. I was thinking trade Johnsson for him. Would save us about 1M of cap as well. He's also from Holland Landing.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
For the cost, I'd take the 2nd rounder and a different player in UFA. Clifford was a nice add but let's not pretend he was some irreplaceable difference maker in that series.

No but the Clifford-type payers are becoming harder and harder to come by. Guys that can play the game, don't take a lot of stupid penalties and bring the physicality

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think most people are confused. He's doubling down on the core 4 guys but said his philosophy continues to change and is involving..
To each his own, but not much can change if half your cap goes to the aforementioned 4 guys. Sure he can change the supporting cast of fringe players, but I doubt he can do anything meaningful about the D without cap flexibility, oh wait, the GM stated there's no cap issues.............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Clifford is a pending UFA, so I assume that means you're expecting Dubas to resign him at a cost of 2nd round pick, instead of letting him walk at an expense of Leafs 3rd rounder in 2021.

What he does with Clifford will no doubt signal the direction he is taking the team and if more physicality is in the plans going forward.
This team needs players who can bring physicality throughout the line up, not a vet player who get 4 minutes a game..........

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I’m a little concerned Dubas and Shanny seem to be doubling down on their philosophy, instead of demonstrating pragmatism. Now that’s the public face, so I take it with some scepticism, but clearly our mix and focus need tweaks. Stubbornness is the great undoing for upper management. Not trading Barrie at the deadline was indicative of that mindset...admit you erred, maximize the return for an asset. He didn’t. Worrying sign.

I will grant that Dubas exhibited some pragmatism in acquiring Campbell and Clifford. Dubas clearly thought he'd get away with C Grade backup solutions and that low skill aggression was unnecessary. That trade signalled that he had backed away from that position. Now I'd like to see it on a higher level like (1) recognizing that the team's pay scale is top heavy, (2) that negotiations are competitive and will piss off agents, players and rival GMs, (3) only pay lip service to the current social climate, don't actually believe it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If he keeps Clifford at that ridiculous up charge of the second rounder, it will smell like desperation. If he goes out and manages to acquire a couple of gritty playoff performers in the Clifford mould at an affordable price while replenishing the system with some picks and youth, I would let him off the hook and say he’s reloaded and made some strides towards balancing the roster.
I think noted this before but this is a 2nd rounder in 2021 in a year where GM's are all planning in selling their 2021 1st rounders. A 2021 2nd rounder is in reality like a 5th/6th rounder in 2020. Every trade is done for a reason. And that is why it was done that way.

No one should be freakin out about any 2021 pick unless we are sitting with a lottery pick. This will likely be year with least number of NHLers EVER. Whereas 2020 should give league its biggest stock of players EVER. There is a MASSIVE difference in quality in Ontario between the 2 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This team needs players who can bring physicality throughout the line up, not a vet player who get 4 minutes a game..........

I agree all of Kapanen, AJ and Kerfoot should be gone and replaced with blue collar hard working players with grit and determination.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’d be looking at Josh Anderson depending on contract demand.
Start losing the same trick ponies.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think noted this before but this is a 2nd rounder in 2021 in a year where GM's are all planning in selling their 2021 1st rounders. A 2021 2nd rounder is in reality like a 5th/6th rounder in 2020. Every trade is done for a reason. And that is why it was done that way.

No one should be freakin out about any 2021 pick unless we are sitting with a lottery pick. This will likely be year with least number of NHLers EVER. Whereas 2020 should give league its biggest stock of players EVER. There is a MASSIVE difference in quality in Ontario between the 2 years.

People always downplay the loss of second rounders but it’s death by a thousand cuts. Often they don’t turn into anything but sometimes they do. And I rather have the mystery pick than Kyle Clifford, especially when you can get a Clifford anywhere for free as a UFA.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People always downplay the loss of second rounders but it’s death by a thousand cuts. Often they don’t turn into anything but sometimes they do. And I rather have the mystery pick than Kyle Clifford, especially when you can get a Clifford anywhere for free as a UFA.

But it's not the loss a pick, it's a change in slotting. Which in a particularly volatile draft might not even lead to the selection of a different player

Reactions: Dekes For Days

horner

May 22, 2007
I would like to see us get a real psychopath like Corey Perry on a Spezza type deal, maybe a Western Conference prototypical forechecking beast with size, could be a versatile guy like a Tomas Nosek, and take a flyer on a guy like Sam Bennett who enjoys that rambunctious higher energy play. And distribute them throughout the lineup as required.
You won't get Bennett signed for next yr .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But it's not the loss a pick, it's a change in slotting. Which in a particularly volatile draft might not even lead to the selection of a different player

Even if it’s a marginal downgrade in slotting, which I don’t agree with, its not worth the downgrade for a player as marginal and replaceable as Kyle Clifford.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Even if it’s a marginal downgrade in slotting, which I don’t agree with, its not worth the downgrade for a player as marginal and replaceable as Kyle Clifford.
How's next year's draft crop looking? Strong or weak draft overall?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No I luv my picks. I would not sign Clifford if I were losing a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder or even a 4th rounder in 2020. This upcoming draft is deep deep deep in Ontario. My point is 2021 is BRUTAL. We got 1 pick in 2020 in 2nd round and 2 in 4th. After that is 7 garbage picks in later rounds. We have to pick up a couple NHLers out of our 3 picks. And try to trade up for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder in 2020. Trade all 7 garbage picks in 2020 for 2 decent ones in 2020.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
if the Leaf think they need a seldom used 4th line tough guy why didn't Dubas just keep Matt Martin? He was well liked on the team, apparently loved the city and was affordable. Now the Leafs could possibly lose more in said 2nd round pick if they intend to sign Clifford. I don't see the logic here?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
if the Leaf think they need a seldom used 4th line tough guy why didn't Dubas just keep Matt Martin? He was well liked on the team, apparently loved the city and was affordable. Now the Leafs could possibly lose more in said 2nd round pick if they intend to sign Clifford. I don't see the logic here?

$2.5 million for a 4th line winger/13th forward isn't really good value at all or a good use of cap space.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If we had a full stock of picks recently, I wouldn't care too much, even if I disagreed. But, considering all the picks traded the last 2 years, we need to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad