Analyzing Dubas's performance II - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Did you see the link from NHL.com that never credited Polak with a shot block at that time. The puck clearly hit Connor Sheary because that's why there is no credit for a blocked shot at that time.

You think the people who compile stats get everything right every game? You've obviously never heard of discrepancies from arena to arena for how shots or hits are counted. There's no consistency. So it's entirely possible the stat guys at the NHL got it wrong. I'm not even trying to argue whether or not it was a block, I'm just saying you shouldn't assume everything on nhl.com is 100% accurate.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Why did Joe Bowen not say shot blocked by Polak in the video I posted? So Jim Hughson was obviously wrong in that moment because like I said before, the stats for that game from NHL.com do not list Polak with a blocked shot at that exact moment.

So nhl.com stat guy is 100% accurate, play by play commentator "must be wrong". Got it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It was a play that could easily be seen incorrectly seeing Sheary jumped right into the picture at the last second and Polak was sprawling on the ground in the position to block the shot.

That's the problem with the "eye test". As usefull as it can be in alot of scenarios, many times the eye gets things wrong and other times see's what it wants to see.

Polak didnt block that shot. It hit Sheary.

And even if it did hit Sheary, Polak still played an awesome game (watch the whole game if you don't believe me) and was put out there with the SEASON ON THE LINE. You would expect your best D-men to be out in that situation. Future HoF coach Mike Babcock felt Polak should be out there, and Polak was ultimately successful in doing his job.

If Muzzin is out there with the season on the line in the 1st round against a tough opponent and he's clutch in the win I will be happy to sing his praises.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You think the people who compile stats get everything right every game? You've obviously never heard of discrepancies from arena to arena for how shots or hits are counted. There's no consistency. So it's entirely possible the stat guys at the NHL got it wrong. I'm not even trying to argue whether or not it was a block, I'm just saying you shouldn't assume everything on nhl.com is 100% accurate.
If they were wrong and in this case they were not, why didn't they add in the shot block you think Polak made later on? If they can change a goal from one player to another long after the game is finished, you think they could add a blocked shot from Polak.

Also right before the Matthews goal they have other stats listed like Boyle winning a faceoff against Crosby with 49 seconds left, Shultz with a snap shot that was saved by McElhinney with 17 seconds left and the next stat is Matthews 40th goal into the empty net. So there is no mention of Polak's block because the puck hit Connor Sheary.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So nhl.com stat guy is 100% accurate, play by play commentator "must be wrong". Got it.
It wouldn't be the first time Jim Hughson was wrong about anything Toronto Maple Leafs related.

I will also say again why didn't Joe Bowen say it was blocked by Polak, he just said it was blocked in general and didn't realize the puck hit Sheary.

And even if it did hit Sheary, Polak still played an awesome game (watch the whole game if you don't believe me) and was put out there with the SEASON ON THE LINE. You would expect your best D-men to be out in that situation. Future HoF coach Mike Babcock felt Polak should be out there, and Polak was ultimately successful in doing his job.

If Muzzin is out there with the season on the line in the 1st round against a tough opponent and he's clutch in the win I will be happy to sing his praises.
Now your trying to move the goal posts with this type of response because you know you were wrong and can not admit that.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
When they lose Games 1, 5, and 6 in overtime it's 50/50 for either team, so having or not having Polak didn't make a difference. Hell in Game 1 when Polak was not hurt they lost with him in the lineup, however when he got hurt in Game 2 they won in double overtime and won Game 3 in overtime which he did not end up playing due to his injury. So once again another one of your theories has been proven wrong.

You haven't proven anything.

You appear to think I'm saying with Polak we go 82-0 and win the Cup in 16 games. In reality what I'm saying is that he was an effective part of an underdog team that punched above their weight that whole year. With him in the lineup when the series got to the end, I feel he would have helped. No way to prove one way or the other, just my opinion.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Why did Joe Bowen not say shot blocked by Polak in the video I posted? So Jim Hughson was obviously wrong in that moment because like I said before, the stats for that game from NHL.com do not list Polak with a blocked shot at that exact moment.

You would have to ask Joe that question.

Again, you feel stats on nhl.com are always 100% correct? If so, I understand your point.

But, even if Polak didn't block the shot, he was still a beast that game. The block shot is a minor detail on his overall game that night.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You haven't proven anything.

You appear to think I'm saying with Polak we go 82-0 and win the Cup in 16 games. In reality what I'm saying is that he was an effective part of an underdog team that punched above their weight that whole year. With him in the lineup when the series got to the end, I feel he would have helped. No way to prove one way or the other, just my opinion.
What exactly have I not proven. When Polak played Game 1 they lost in overtime. In Game 2 when he got injured they won in double overtime and they won Game 3 in overtime. Game 4 ended in regulation and they only lost by one goal. Games 5 & 6 which they lost in overtime was 50/50 like it always is in those situations and they were unlucky not to have scored.

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It wouldn't be the first time Jim Hughson was wrong about anything Toronto Maple Leafs related.

I will also say again why didn't Joe Bowen say it was blocked by Polak, he just said it was blocked in general and didn't realize the puck hit Sheary.

Now your trying to move the goal posts with this type of response because you know you were wrong and can not admit that.

Can't admit I was wrong about what?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You would have to ask Joe that question.

Again, you feel stats on nhl.com are always 100% correct? If so, I understand your point.

But, even if Polak didn't block the shot, he was still a beast that game. The block shot is a minor detail on his overall game that night.
I never said the stats from nhl.com are 100% correct. I'm just saying they don't list Polak blocking that shot like you say he did. Plus there is the video evidence of the puck going off Connor Sheary, so in this case nhl.com was right all along.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If they were wrong and in this case they were not, why didn't they add in the shot block you think Polak made later on? If they can change a goal from one player to another long after the game is finished, you think they could add a blocked shot from Polak.

Also right before the Matthews goal they have other stats listed like Boyle winning a faceoff against Crosby with 49 seconds left, Shultz with a snap shot that was saved by McElhinney with 17 seconds left and the next stat is Matthews 40th goal into the empty net. So there is no mention of Polak's block because the puck hit Connor Sheary.

But again I don't care about the block shot.

It's a microcosm of the problems with people who live and die with stats on nhl.com. I've said many times that Polak was great the whole game. Some folks can't get past the shot block. He was in the lane like he should be, maybe that altered the shot, and resulted in it hitting Sheary (assuming that's what happened). He was also directly involved in a rush that led to a goal, he got an assist. He was a net front presence all game. He was hard on the wall. He was out there with the season on the line, which we ultimately won.

So even if I concede the shot block, he was still great. Now feel free to refute that he played really well throughout the game, especially the 3rd.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But again I don't care about the block shot.

It's a microcosm of the problems with people who live and die with stats on nhl.com. I've said many times that Polak was great the whole game. Some folks can't get past the shot block. He was in the lane like he should be, maybe that altered the shot, and resulted in it hitting Sheary (assuming that's what happened). He was also directly involved in a rush that led to a goal, he got an assist. He was a net front presence all game. He was hard on the wall. He was out there with the season on the line, which we ultimately won.

So even if I concede the shot block, he was still great. Now feel free to refute that he played really well throughout the game, especially the 3rd.
You don't care about the blocked shot, however on part 1 of this topic and on part 2 you kept insisting that Polak blocked it and even brought up how Jim Hughson said he did.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I never said the stats from nhl.com are 100% correct. I'm just saying they don't list Polak blocking that shot like you say he did. Plus there is the video evidence of the puck going off Connor Sheary, so in this case nhl.com was right all along.

I don't know if the video is clear or not. The professional PBP guy said emphatically it was a block by Roman Polak. The stat guy (who you admit isn't 100% perfect) said it was not a block by Polak. If you want to pull together a JFK style video to show definite proof, feel free. But keep in mind, even if it does show the puck hit Sheary, it doesn't change my argument. You guys are the ones laser focused on the block, not me.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You don't care about the blocked shot, however on part 1 of this topic and on part 2 you kept insisting that Polak blocked it and even brought up how Jim Hughson said he did.

I didn't keep insisting. I did mention it, because I watched the game recently and Hughson's call stuck out to me. But I also mentioned many more times that he was great throughout the game. It would be silly to make a case for Polak having a bigger impact on our team vs Muzzin based on just one play. I'm saying he had a bigger impact over many games and many plays. Although I do feel given the magnitude of that game, that him being out there vs Crosby season on the line 45 seconds to go shows his impact was much more than "just a 5-6 dman".

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So this non-shot block shot block is the sole reason Polak is better than Muzzin?

"Breaking news.....we now take you live to the thought process for those posts!"

homer.gif

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if the video is clear or not. The professional PBP guy said emphatically it was a block by Roman Polak. The stat guy (who you admit isn't 100% perfect) said it was not a block by Polak. If you want to pull together a JFK style video to show definite proof, feel free. But keep in mind, even if it does show the puck hit Sheary, it doesn't change my argument. You guys are the ones laser focused on the block, not me.
The stats I was referring to happened in real time as they happened in the play by play section when they were live. Did you even bother seeing the link I posted? If the answer is no here it is again.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Toronto Maple Leafs - April 8th, 2017

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't keep insisting. I did mention it, because I watched the game recently and Hughson's call stuck out to me. But I also mentioned many more times that he was great throughout the game. It would be silly to make a case for Polak having a bigger impact on our team vs Muzzin based on just one play. I'm saying he had a bigger impact over many games and many plays. Although I do feel given the magnitude of that game, that him being out there vs Crosby season on the line 45 seconds to go shows his impact was much more than "just a 5-6 dman".
This reply of yours says you did keep insisting Polak blocked the shot.

Shot blocked by Roman Polak was the call.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The stats I was referring to happened in real time as they happened in the play by play section when they were live. Did you even bother seeing the link I posted? If the answer is no here it is again.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Toronto Maple Leafs - April 8th, 2017

You can post links 100 times, I'm not clicking on them.

It doesn't matter if it was live or not. One guy saw it live as a block another guy didn't. You're assuming one particular guy was right. Great. I can say I trust the other guy's view of it.

Again, has nothing to do with Polak's overall impact as a Leaf vs Muzzin's impact thus far.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You can post links 100 times, I'm not clicking on them.

It doesn't matter if it was live or not. One guy saw it live as a block another guy didn't. You're assuming one particular guy was right. Great. I can say I trust the other guy's view of it.

Again, has nothing to do with Polak's overall impact as a Leaf vs Muzzin's impact thus far.
It's been proven that Jim Hughson was wrong so I don't know why you keep saying it's the opposite, because if you watch the footage very closely you will see the puck never gets blocked by Polak.

Plus nothing you will say makes him better than Muzzin, because the stats have shown Muzzin to be the better and more impactful player for the Maple Leafs.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This reply of yours says you did keep insisting Polak blocked the shot.

It does? There's about 50 posts of people talking about stats and YouTube and nhl.com. As usual, The CyNick pops the territory.

I just brought up that Hughson called it that way in response. In virtually every response I've said the block shot is irrelevant overall. At the same time, I haven't went frame by frame to try and see if the puck hit Sheary or Polak. The fact that Polak was out there to make it debatable is the crux of my argument for Polak being valuable.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember Clarke Wilm had a monster game one time. Beast on the pk, physical, blocked a bunch of shots. Truly a beautiful game that made you root for the guys career and likely almost reduced Cherry to tears.

Clearly that memory is all that needs to be said, he was a more impactful Leaf than John Tavares.
How about that time Tim Brent blocked three shots when Toronto was on a 5v3 penalty kill. That was more impactful compared to anything Tavares, Matthews, and Marner have done. :sarcasm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It does? There's about 50 posts of people talking about stats and YouTube and nhl.com. As usual, The CyNick pops the territory.

I just brought up that Hughson called it that way in response. In virtually every response I've said the block shot is irrelevant overall. At the same time, I haven't went frame by frame to try and see if the puck hit Sheary or Polak. The fact that Polak was out there to make it debatable is the crux of my argument for Polak being valuable.
Jim Hughson was wrong because the video evidence of the play is proof enough.

Although I shouldn't be surprised you agree with Hughson considering how you and him are both Maple Leafs haters which you have in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad