Analyzing Dubas's performance - (Full Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You can say it was when you look at the injuries to Rielly, Muzzin, and Ceci. Plus it was bad luck that Muzzin got injured in their first game after the trade deadline, because Ceci didn't return until their game against Anaheim on March 6th and Rielly returned against Tampa Bay on the 10th. So maybe Dubas knew they were close to returning and that was his reasons. Although to be fair he did trade Michael Hutchinson to Colorado and re-acquired Calle Rosen. So despite that being a minor trade at least it was more than Lou did not addressing their defense at the 2018 deadline.

When you say Dubas "addressed the defense", how do you mean? When the regular season ended there were five teams worse than us in GA/G.

I get you're saying he made some trades, but if the trades didn't help us get better, is it really something to brag about? Seems more like something to count in the column against Dubas. At least that's how I see it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When you say Dubas "addressed the defense", how do you mean? When the regular season ended there were five teams worse than us in GA/G.

I get you're saying he made some trades, but if the trades didn't help us get better, is it really something to brag about? Seems more like something to count in the column against Dubas. At least that's how I see it.
He still made moves during the season to help their defense like when he traded for Jake Muzzin or Tyson Barrie.

In fact here are links to the trades Lou made when they made the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 with him as the GM. Tell me where you see any trades he did to help their defense?

History of NHL trades by the Toronto Maple Leafs for 2016-17 - NHL Trade Tracker
History of NHL trades by the Toronto Maple Leafs for 2017-18 - NHL Trade Tracker

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He still made moves during the season to help their defense like when he traded for Jake Muzzin or Tyson Barrie.

In fact here are links to the trades Lou made when they made the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 with him as the GM. Tell me where you see any trades he did to help their defense?

History of NHL trades by the Toronto Maple Leafs for 2016-17 - NHL Trade Tracker
History of NHL trades by the Toronto Maple Leafs for 2017-18 - NHL Trade Tracker
Logic and facts don't count for some people man.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The thing is Lou's signing of Marleau did effect the Leafs in the future despite him no longer being the GM and moving onto the Islanders. So that's one reason to be worried about what an ex employee did.
My post had nothing to do with Marleau but both GMs oversight I’m not adding defence at the deadline. Lou Lam not adding any is now irrelevant

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I realize Rosen is nothing more than an extra defenseman and it's not like when Dubas traded for Jake Muzzin during the 2018-19 season. However it's still a trade for another defenseman made in season by him which is great to have just incase and it's something Lou never did.
Yep minor trade but a good one nonetheless

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

So you're happy as looking as the GM makes moves for the position of need.
Begs the question why he went after another LHD in Muzzin when we needed RHD help. Then odd that he paid a huge price for a rental puck moving D when we needed stay at home D help.

Probably why those two trades which cost us a ton, resulted in only 5 teams being worse than us at GA/G.

To me that's not successful.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Begs the question why he went after another LHD in Muzzin when we needed RHD help. Then odd that he paid a huge price for a rental puck moving D when we needed stay at home D help.

Probably why those two trades which cost us a ton, resulted in only 5 teams being worse than us at GA/G.

LHD wasn't a position of need, that's why Travis Dermott was our #1LD for a quarter of the year lol.

The GA must be 100% the defense, not the fact that Andersen had exactly one month better than .904 this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I know your a Kyle Dubas hater but why don't you listen to this logic. When he traded for Muzzin that filled a need on the Leafs defense. Also you sound exactly like Mike Babcock did when the first thing he said about Muzzin is that he's a LHD.

Lou Lamoriello never made any in season trades for a defenseman when they made the playoffs in 2017 and 2018. His moves was for #4 Centres in Brian Boyle in 2017 and Tomas Plekanec in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Muzzin is the best defensive D man on the team, and the biggest physical prefesence on the backend.

Trying to claim he wasnt a team need is indeed perplexing.

Other than Rielly who was a top 5 draft pick, hes the best D man any GM has beought into the organization over the past decade or so

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
at the end of the day.... is this team a contender for the cup? hell yes imo... this core can match up vs any team in the league.
Dubas and Shanahan get a thumbs up from me... I especially like thhe Muzzin trade

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Im curious which mythical shitdown top 4 rhd thst thr Leafs have missed out on is...

Youd think folks will have figured out bu npe that other GMs simpl aarent interested in moving those guys. Hwnce why neither Nonis nor Lou were able to get anyyhing better long term
Lou's UFA signings who were defenseman was the following. Matt Hunwick 2 year contract, Ron Hainsey 2 year contract, Roman Polak who Lou traded to San Jose and brought him back as a UFA for the 2016-17 season on a 1 year contract. Plus after the 2017-18 season had started, Lou once again re-signed Polak to another 1 year contract.

As for any trades Lou made for a defenseman the only one I can remember was getting Connor Carrick from Washington during the 2015-16 season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Im curious which mythical shitdown top 4 rhd thst thr Leafs have missed out on is...

Youd think folks will have figured out bu npe that other GMs simpl aarent interested in moving those guys. Hwnce why neither Nonis nor Lou were able to get anyyhing better long term
The best part is the Leafs had a 6'4 shutdown RHD who can skate the whole time, and Babcock simply chose not to play him. Maybe Dubas was just smart enough to know that player already existed in the organization and he didn't need to use assets to find one

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou's UFA signings who were defenseman was the following. Matt Hunwick 2 year contract, Ron Hainsey 2 year contract, Roman Polak who Lou traded to San Jose and brought him back as a UFA for the 2016-17 season on a 1 year contract. Plus after the 2017-18 season had started, Lou once again re-signed Polak to another 1 year contract.

As for any trades Lou made for a defenseman the only one I can remember was getting Connor Carrick from Washington during the 2015-16 season.

And its not just Lou.

I cant think if any other GM that added new top 4/3 rhd, especially via trade that would make me envious as a Leafs fans.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The best part is the Leafs had a 6'4 shutdown RHD who can skate the whole time, and Babcock simply chose not to play him. Maybe Dubas was just smart enough to know that player already existed in the organization and he didn't need to use assets to find one
It wasn't only Justin Holl who Babcock refused to play, at least last season and not this year.

When Frankie Corrado played for the Leafs remember how Babcock would always make him a healthy scratch.

Now this other player wasn't a defenseman, however Babcock did the same thing to Josh Leivo and it got the point where Dubas traded him to Vancouver for virtually nothing in return.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You cannot compare Dubas to Lou. Not until KD's career reaches a point where he's won Cups, and is a Hall of Famer (in the builders category). Someone bump this thread in 2042.

;)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Really wondered that myself. It's not like Holl was some developing green youngster either. He's been in the organization for a very long time and likely was what he was for quite awhile. Why Babcock decided not to give him any reasonable tryout was ridiculous.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Really wondered that myself. It's not like Holl was some developing green youngster either. He's been in the organization for a very long time and likely was what he was for quite awhile. Why Babcock decided not to give him any reasonable tryout was ridiculous.
When Holl was featured in this episode The Blueprint and talks about finally playing against the Wild in Minnesota, if he took a shot at Babcock when he made him a healthy scratch the previous season they played them their.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It was a puzzling quirk of Babcoc's.

Once he formed an early opinion of a guy, it was difficult to change. He had zero time for Holl and also guys like Leivo. Ive got mixed feelings about Babcock, but this was one thing i really didnt care for about him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was a puzzling quirk of Babcoc's.

Once he formed an early opinion of a guy, it was difficult to change. He had zero time for Holl and also guys like Leivo. Ive got mixed feelings about Babcock, but this was one thing i really didnt care for about him.
How about the way he talked about Spezza during training camp saying he didn't know what his role would be and making him a healthy scratch on opening night. However he loved Patrick Marleau and always played him despite being older than Spezza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad