Analytics & fancy stats thread

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Bennett is also generally playing against 3rd or 4th lines, no?

I mean, whoever he is facing is pretty random. Here's a list of guys he's faced 12 minutes against:

MARTINOOK, JORDAN
DOAN, SHANE
KANE, PATRICK

HORVAT, BO

BAERTSCHI, SVEN
SEDIN, HENRIK

RIEDER, TOBIAS
SEDIN, DANIEL

GRANLUND, MARKUS
VRBATA, RADIM
LUCIC, MILAN

HANZAL, MARTIN

SLEPYSHEV, ANTON
PERRY, COREY

PERLINI, BRENDAN
MCGINN, JAMIE
KOIVU, MIKKO

BURROWS, ALEX
GRANLUND, MIKAEL

ERIKSSON, LOUI

KASSIAN, ZACK
TOEWS, JONATHAN

SHORE, DEVIN
ZUCKER, JASON
NUGENT-HOPKINS, RYAN
ANISIMOV, ARTEM

GAUNCE, BRENDAN
CAGGIULA, DRAKE
SCEVIOUR, COLTON
POULIOT, BENOIT
DVORAK, CHRISTIAN
LETESTU, MARK
KOPITAR, ANZE

PERREAULT, MATHIEU
OSHIE, TJ

SUTTER, BRANDON
CHAPUT, MICHAEL
STAFFORD, DREW
MANTHA, ANTHONY

I mean, technically, he is facing the 3rd toughest competition on the Flames, with Backlund facing the toughest and Stajan facing the easiest. But that doesn't mean there exists an imaginary world where he's just avoiding seeing top players.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Yost is my favorite writer. Doesn't waste any time getting to the point while doing a great job explaining the context.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yost is my favorite writer. Doesn't waste any time getting to the point while doing a great job explaining the context.

I think I'm still annoyed with him from when he first started doing articles which were a little heavy on throwing out the advanced stats without explaining some of the more obscure ones. Admittedly he has gotten better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's been a very good pairing, but the best in hockey? No, that is likely not the case. Yost always has been and always will be a ****ing hack that bases his opinions solely on fancy stats.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
It's been a very good pairing, but the best in hockey? No, that is likely not the case. Yost always has been and always will be a ****ing hack that bases his opinions solely on fancy stats.

Provide a counter argument then. Find one pairing that has been better this season. One.

I always like to be modest about the Flames to counter some of the more ridiculous posters here but it is a fact that Giordano and Hamilton are the league's best pairing this year. They may not (probably won't) be the best in the future but today it is indisputable.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

And you discredit anyone that uses them at all. Who's more unreasonable ?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How much of a red herring is the addition of Bartkowski or Stone to this team's success? (Full disclosure: sample size is limited)

Player | Off-ice scoring-chance% | On-Ice scoring-chance % | Off-ice expected goals % | On-Ice expected goals %
Bartkowski | 55.51 | 38.57 | 54.90 | 43.90
Stone | 49.94 | 52.43 | 52.86 | 50.74
Kulak | 46.72 | 51.50 | 46.95 | 49.99

It's a pretty big red herring because we are 2015 Sabres bad with him on the ice. Which was the year they tanked for Eichel/McDavid.
For Stone, it's not a red herring. We are actually better with him so far.
And Kulak was just here when the rest of the team sucked.

If we're gonna stick with Bartkowski, we need to get him a partner like Andersson. Otherwise we can't stick with him.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hopefully next year Bartkowski is just here as the 7th Dman for depth and Kulak gets the trust of the coaching staff to play full time.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If Bartkowski plays a game for the Flames after the expansion draft Brad needs to be fired.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
How much of a red herring is the addition of Bartkowski or Stone to this team's success? (Full disclosure: sample size is limited)

Player | Off-ice scoring-chance% | On-Ice scoring-chance % | Off-ice expected goals % | On-Ice expected goals %
Bartkowski | 55.51 | 38.57 | 54.90 | 43.90
Stone | 49.94 | 52.43 | 52.86 | 50.74
Kulak | 46.72 | 51.50 | 46.95 | 49.99

It's a pretty big red herring because we are 2015 Sabres bad with him on the ice. Which was the year they tanked for Eichel/McDavid.
For Stone, it's not a red herring. We are actually better with him so far.
And Kulak was just here when the rest of the team sucked.

If we're gonna stick with Bartkowski, we need to get him a partner like Andersson. Otherwise we can't stick with him.

So Stone good, Bartkowski bad pretty much. Matches the eye test.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
the corsi # are more relevant. They are better predictor of future goals even over a full season at the player level - dmen specifically. Stone ends up looking pretty bad, ~48 CF% SVZA with and ~54% without.

I'm hoping they will look at other not-Alzner directions, but I'm skeptical given people prefer to chase scoring chances over more repeatable events. Shattenkirk would great if he's still available on July 2nd and he doesn't mind coming here. Ideally we find better, cheaper alternatives than Stone because term is important.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Even more impressive that Brodie's had such a step up in play if Stone's playing average at best defensively.

I've said this earlier but I don't think he warrants much more than 3 x 3. Better options can be had if he wants more than that.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
the corsi # are more relevant. They are better predictor of future goals even over a full season at the player level - dmen specifically. Stone ends up looking pretty bad, ~48 CF% SVZA with and ~54% without.

I would say the scoring chance numbers are useful as descriptors of past events, the corsi numbers are better predictors of future events.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Well, mediocre would be a #3.5D, so for our #4D to be mediocre isn't a bad thing at all.

Mediocre for a 4th D, not among the entire field of dmen. :p I think he's a passable, but not optimal (or preferred) choice for a #4. Much preferred to Wideman, but that's not saying much,

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Shattenkirk will sign with the Rangers, if not the Caps.
The rangers offered a bag of peanuts before the TDL. I don't think they like him that much.

The caps were already in cap hell before the trade and they had Niskanen and Carlson on the right side. If they want to trade the former to make room, that's totally fine with me.

It's more likely Boston gets him. They (reportedly) showed interest at numerous points, also have cap space, an even bigger need of a RHD and they're in the East. But hey, maybe not.

I would say the scoring chance numbers are useful as descriptors of past events, the corsi numbers are better predictors of future events.
I don't know, maybe? It's clearly a better predictor of how mgmt., fans and coaches view players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad