Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Gulls play 4 times (including tomorrow) before the Ducks have their next game. I wonder if anyone else gets sent down over the break.

I imagine a couple do, maybe even all five who don't need waivers, but I can't see all of them playing all those games. Theres definitely no way any of them play the 3 in 3 and then come back for the game on the 27th. Tomorrow night's asking a bit as well.

Reactions: MilesNewton

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I imagine a couple do, maybe even all five who don't need waivers, but I can't see all of them playing all those games. Theres definitely no way any of them play the 3 in 3 and then come back for the game on the 27th. Tomorrow night's asking a bit as well.
I'd actually be surprised if they do. SD has to build their own team chemistry and sending guys down isn't likely going to help. Especially if they're not going long term.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd actually be surprised if they do. SD has to build their own team chemistry and sending guys down isn't likely going to help. Especially if they're not going long term.
I mean assuming we miss the playoffs... I think guys like Steel/Comtois/Jones/Terry/Lundy will be on the gulls playoff roster no?

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

If they make the playoffs all or most of these guys will get there anyway, that's not really an issue at all. The bigger thing would be taking away the earned days off from some of these guys when they'd maybe only play a game or two.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting that Steel hasn’t been sent down also. Management obviously feels he’s part of the big club and should have the same time off the others have.
Yeah, Steel albeit definitely doing some things good right now, would be better off gaining some offensive confidence against AHL level defense. I`m really dissapointed he was not sent down when we still can do it.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
If they make the playoffs all or most of these guys will get there anyway, that's not really an issue at all. The bigger thing would be taking away the earned days off from some of these guys when they'd maybe only play a game or two.
I could see some of them slot in its not like they ALL can't use the practice. Give a few of the Gulls players a rest for a game or so.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, Steel albeit definitely doing some things good right now, would be better off gaining some offensive confidence against AHL level defense. I`m really dissapointed he was not sent down when we still can do it.

A lot of people seem to think going to the AHL is an automatic confidence boost, but honestly, best thing for his confidence might be not getting sent there right now.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
A lot of people seem to think going to the AHL is an automatic confidence boost, but honestly, best thing for his confidence might be not getting sent there right now.

Seems like this might depend on the player. I can see where some might benefit from having success at that level whereas others might not be able to see past the "sent down" part. Yes, they are professionals, but they're also very young and not had a ton of life experience given the path they had to take to get where they are.

The ability to manage that is probably the biggest piece of why some clubs are great at true internal development and some fail with any player that doesn't come to them more or less NHL ready

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
While I don't know the rules for certain, it appears from looking at Cap Friendly and something way back in my memory, that every team need to have at least 20 players on its roster at all times. There are a number of teams on Cap Friendly that have sent down players, but they all have at least 20 players on their roster at this time.

The Ducks sent three players down but added one (Pietila) to their roster, thus keeping their roster at 20 players. If they sent Steel down in addition to the three players that they sent down they would have had to bring an additional player up. Meanwhile Pietila gets a bump in pay out of the deal, since he has a higher NHL pay than AHL pay.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
While I don't know the rules for certain, it appears from looking at Cap Friendly and something way back in my memory, that every team need to have at least 20 players on its roster at all times. There are a number of teams on Cap Friendly that have sent down players, but they all have at least 20 players on their roster at this time.

The Ducks sent three players down but added one (Pietila) to their roster, thus keeping their roster at 20 players. If they sent Steel down in addition to the three players that they sent down they would have had to bring an additional player up. Meanwhile Pietila gets a bump in pay out of the deal, since he has a higher NHL pay than AHL pay.
So they never intend to play him at all? Nice little pay bump for a few days any reason why he was selected?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wonder if we’re planning to go with Stolarz as our backup next season. I’m hoping we do because I think he is NHL quality, hopefully he can bridge the gap until Dostal is ready.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Odd wording on roster minimum.

Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. However, Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game, provided that the deficiency below those thresholds is a result of an injury that has caused the removal of such disabled Player from the Active Roster

But short summary is yes they couldn't send someone down to be below 20.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Jones and Terry were not that impressive in the game last night in San Diego. Poor passing and positioning to be honest I feel they need to clean up some generally sloppy play in the NHL. Jones has been lucky to be on some decent lines and some well fed goals to him. I believe they could both be moved.

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Jones and Steel were not that impressive in the game last night in San Diego. Poor passing and positioning to be honest I feel they need to clean up some generally sloppy play in the NHL. Jones has been lucky to be on some decent lines and some well fed goals to him. I believe they could both be moved.
I believe that you must have mistaken another player for Steel. Steel is still listed on the Ducks roster and there is no indication from any source that he was sent down to San Diego.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I believe that you must have mistaken another player for Steel. Steel is still listed on the Ducks roster and there is no indication from any source that he was sent down to San Diego.
Yes you are correct I meant to say Terry.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Jones and Terry were not that impressive in the game last night in San Diego. Poor passing and positioning to be honest I feel they need to clean up some generally sloppy play in the NHL. Jones has been lucky to be on some decent lines and some well fed goals to him. I believe they could both be moved.

Terry reminds me of Brandon Wood's career in MLB, he could do extremely well in minors but once in the majors he would suck.
He always had that look on his face that he didn't have much confidence.
Eventually after several years of waiting for him to breakout he got traded.
Like Terry, he had all kinds of skill that he put on display in the minors.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
How has guhle been?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You think Terry can be moved because you didn't like the AHL game last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad