Pre-Game Talk: Anaheim Ducks @ Pittsburgh Penguins | 2/8/16 7:00 PM

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Will Perron walk Lovejoy for a goal?

Will Depres level Hagelin?

Prolly.

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Perron already has 3 goals, and 8 points with the Ducks. And he managed only 4 goals in 43 games with the Pens this year (2015-16). Seems like every good player that comes to the Pens becomes bad, and once they leave, they start to play better again.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Perron already has 3 goals, and 8 points with the Ducks. And he managed only 4 goals in 43 games with the Pens this year (2015-16). Seems like every good player that comes to the Pens becomes bad, and once they leave, they start to play better again.

It just wasn't the right fit. This wasn't a Gonchar-like situation.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I am to the point where I don't really care if we win or lose, I just want to see good hockey.

I'd like Perron and Despres to play well and have good games. I'd like Sid to continue to dominate. I'd like to see a bounce-back effort from Fleury.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Classic sign something is off in the org... Its been an issue through multiple gms and coaches and it happens even with the stars out so its got to be a fundamental issue higher up....

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The Perron thing...he did not have speed and did not fit with team. Hagelin is tearing it up with the Penguins and did not fit with Ducks..it is as simple as that.

Trade worked out for both sides.

Will Malkin play?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

its absurd to overlook this... there is a laundry list of guys who have come here and severely underperformed in the past decade then immediately went elsewhere and did well... many have the same issues of being used out of their classic position, being asked to play a style they have little past history with, being asked to take minutes that there is no way they should have or conversely not getting minutes they historically have... heck some of that predates the Crosby Malkin issue... this orgs decade and a half fascination of shunning wingers, or playing old decrepit defensemen in roles they don't fit is mind boggling and it cant be that every coach and player have the same issues just till they leave here. Lee stempniak is a top 40 scorer this year... Phil Kessel is not, and the guys who do come here and overproduce are usually bottom 6 players we shoehorn into a top 6 role with Malkin and Crosby

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Classic sign something is off in the org... Its been an issue through multiple gms and coaches and it happens even with the stars out so its got to be a fundamental issue higher up....

But...there are a ton of players who've come here from other teams and thrived like Neal, Daley, Hagelin, Niskanen, etc.

You have to approach it on a case-by-case basis.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
But...there are a ton of players who've come here from other teams and thrived like Neal, Daley, Hagelin, Niskanen, etc.

Eh, Neal thrived offensively after being snake bitten but I'd say his overall game suffered. Daley and Hagelin are new so we'll see, but the struggles don't usually appear right away with this team.

I think the Pens are a crapshoot for players doing well here but the number of player's that have struggled makes you question things. A lot of player's go through rough periods when they're brought in to this org.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Niether Neal nor Niskanen had good starts to their Pens careers... both turned it around, but even with Neal they were asking him to switch to his other side... he was able to do it, iginla, among others, was not... its a philosophical or scouting issue.

You have Scuderi being asked to play top pairing on the other side of Letang.. which was what they acquired him for... top pairing... then they were asking him to play in a quick breakout system... he is a defensive defenseman who has no puck skills..... he was never going to excel there even when he was younger... and the list of misused guys are far greater than the guys who somehow made it work... Mark eaton was grossly overused... conversely Paul Martins puck abilities were greatly underutilized.. and lets not evebn discuss the absolute train wreck of how they tried Michalek.... Then think about Peron, Winnik, heck most any trade or even the AHL call ups a lot of the time.... These guys look great when they first get to the team then after a month or two look like they don't even belong on the rink

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Section 103 checking in Monday. I will be going early and hopefully that's the side of Anaheim's warm up so I can bring a "Come Home Despres" sign.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Niether Neal nor Niskanen had good starts to their Pens careers... both turned it around, but even with Neal they were asking him to switch to his other side... he was able to do it, iginla, among others, was not... its a philosophical or scouting issue.

You have Scuderi being asked to play top pairing on the other side of Letang.. which was what they acquired him for... top pairing... then they were asking him to play in a quick breakout system... he is a defensive defenseman who has no puck skills..... he was never going to excel there even when he was younger... and the list of misused guys are far greater than the guys who somehow made it work... Mark eaton was grossly overused... conversely Paul Martins puck abilities were greatly underutilized.. and lets not evebn discuss the absolute train wreck of how they tried Michalek.... Then think about Peron, Winnik, heck most any trade or even the AHL call ups a lot of the time.... These guys look great when they first get to the team then after a month or two look like they don't even belong on the rink

Some players were misused and others were used very well and thrived where they had floundered on other teams. So...case-by-case basis.

It isn't some universal truth that players come here and have huge dips in performance. But the org does seem to have very specific, very curious ideas about how to use certain players, and they refuse to deviate when things don't go as planned.

More often than not, it's when those deviations require putting a tenured Pens vet out of his comfort zone.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Section 103 checking in Monday. I will be going early and hopefully that's the side of Anaheim's warm up so I can bring a "Come Home Despres" sign.

I'm very jealous of you. Will look for the sign. Be strong

rookie skater

Jan 25, 2016
Ducks is another team that has been turning it around since Xmas break. Both the forward and defense lines have been effective in their roles as of late. Would be another interesting game to watch. Hopefully Malkin is already back in action.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Probably won't see it if you're watching the ROOT feed :laugh:

This is one game I will definitely listen to the opposing team's broadcast (I like the Ducks' announcers anyhow, so no big deal). Steigy in particular will be insufferable.

Plus, I expect Simon to have a rough game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad