Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Ducks acquire Mathieu Perreault for 4th & John Mitchell

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He skated with Silfverberg and Teemu, just like Holland one day ago.

It means it will be toss up and the best will get the job for now. Bones on 4th line, which is not a bad thing. He`s playing easier minutes there, and he is still valuable on the 1st PP unit and 2nd/3rd PK unit. He will be able to provide special team minutes while playing little easier opposition on 4th line. Probably with Palms or Etem. That line could score.

Here`s just for hoping that Silfverberg-Perrault-Selanne will not be a problem defensively. That line isn`t very strong.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why is anyone worried about semantics? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are just labels and they don't matter. The players that play well will get more ice time. It will fluctuate for everyone. Boudreau's going to take care of putting his best combinations together.

This isn't the Carlyle era anymore. People need to stop analyzing it in that way.
This. Far too often people get hung up on labels for lines, and it becomes particularly problematic when they have pre-conceived notions for how every numbered line is supposed to play.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He skated with Silfverberg and Teemu, just like Holland one day ago.

It means it will be toss up and the best will get the job for now. Bones on 4th line, which is not a bad thing. He`s playing easier minutes there, and he is still valuable on the 1st PP unit and 2nd/3rd PK unit. He will be able to provide special team minutes while playing little easier opposition on 4th line. Probably with Palms or Etem. That line could score.

Here`s just for hoping that Silfverberg-Perrault-Selanne will not be a problem defensively. That line isn`t very strong.

There is plenty of wing talent to play with, albeit most of that talent being potential talent. No one is going to be stuck with playing with Beleskey(as much as I like him) and Staubitz as their wingers. There should be at least 1 talented winger to play with on either the 2nd or 4th line.

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
I already asked you to explain this once before... How does Dustin Brown go from 20 points in 20 PO games in 11/12 to only 4 points in 18 games last season? One playoff run, let alone one playoff series, doesn't make one a good or bad playoff performer. When the Ducks played Nashville in the playoffs a couple of years ago, Koivu was more or less the best player on the team in that series.

Koivu ranked in the top 50 among centers in PPG last season, playing with a couple of grinders. There are 60 centers playing top six roles in the NHL. In other words, putting Koivu on the 4th line is complete waste, when he's in fact clearly the Ducks 2nd best center behind Getzlaf.

Maybe Koivu keeps aging this season and Bonino and Perreault bumps him down. But until then, Koivu is still the better player and should have a place in the top 9 to start with.

And look to where it got the Kings? Outclassed badly against the Blackhawks in the WCF. The Kings basically did nothing other than replacing Penner with Frattin. I guess you are looking at it differently.

It's nice when Brown can go on that 20/20 run, but if you were running the kings would you seriously bank on him doing that again or would you try and fix the problem? Pleasant surprises are always key and welcome in the playoffs, planning for players to do this is a mistake I think.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
And look to where it got the Kings? Outclassed badly against the Blackhawks in the WCF. The Kings basically did nothing other than replacing Penner with Frattin. I guess you are looking at it differently.

It's nice when Brown can go on that 20/20 run, but if you were running the kings would you seriously bank on him doing that again or would you try and fix the problem? Pleasant surprises are always key and welcome in the playoffs, planning for players to do this is a mistake I think.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I'm just pointing out the difference from one short sample size to another, and the sample size you are judging Koivu on is not even half of Brown's. Anyone can go on a hot streak, or a slump, in a span of seven games. Now, if we're talking about Daniel Briere, who repeatedly time after time takes his game to another level come playoff time, it's a different story.

As for your bolded part, that's exactly what I'm saying you can't bank on. Because as Brown has shown in the regular season (a much larger sample size) year after year, he's a 50-60 point winger, not a PPG winger. The same way you can't bank on Koivu being a non-factor this season or in the playoffs if the Ducks get there, just because he wasn't impressive in seven playoff games last year. If we are going to rank players based on that series, well then Etem must be better than Perry. In reality, we both know that's not true.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This. Far too often people get hung up on labels for lines, and it becomes particularly problematic when they have pre-conceived notions for how every numbered line is supposed to play.

Perfectly put. It's being repeated a bunch of times, but it really can't be said enough.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
This is pretty astute. I'm guilty of this at times.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
This trade is looking pretty good right about now. Can't believe they got that kind of a player for basically nothing.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing this.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Perrault's a steal for what you got him for. He shows flashes and many on our board have tipped him to have a Briere-type late bloom. I on't think his ceiling is quite that high but he can be an extremely effective player when used in the right situations and Bouderau's knowledge of him should help (hopefully for your guys sake no lasting prejudices).

Also, enjoy chsb! You'll see plenty of him now, all #85 related.

I always maintained that MP was misused in the last couple of years in Washington and was in GMGM's doghouse.

He will blossom in Anaheim if given the chance.

You can bookmark it!;)

Now please do not compare him to a Paul Karya for instance.

He is a 2nd-3rd line centerman on an offensive line....very cheap for his value to a team like Anaheim.

Great move by the Ducks.

Stephpa10

Jul 23, 2005
wonder if anyone can help me out

i'm in a strat-o-matic league

and i have a chance to acquire Perreault, i see he is off to a great start, just wondering who is he playing with and if he is getting PP mins

Thank you

Stephpa10

Jul 23, 2005
thanks for the info he is mostly a throw in at this point for our next season

but i see him better than Gaustad for next year

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I cannot believe we got this guy so cheap. Why didnt WSH use him as a 2c?

They did for short times, but mainly not due to other options. They always had other guys beating him out for the other remaining 2nd line center spot behind Backstrom, like Ribeiro last year, Grabovski this year, Johansson/Laich/etc (part-time) before that.

Well, our luck.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Apparently he was in BB's doghouse a lot in Washington as well according to some Caps posters. Kind of ironic really :laugh:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I cannot believe we got this guy so cheap. Why didnt WSH use him as a 2c?

He was tried there for a little while. He'd start well and put up a bunch of points in a few games, but then go pointless over the next 5 or so. Usually was either scratched or went down to the 3rd line after that.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
He is not an all star. I mean... if you can put some bigger guys on your 3rd and 4th lines, then you dont really need MP, even if you argue he has more skill. He is not a checking center.

So a team desperate for a 2nd line center with skill to put between two guys whowant to shoot (silf and teemu) he is a great fit right now.

I am a little worried that silf, teemu, mp might struggle with puck posession as the season goes om and the shiny newness wears off. Saw a little bit of it creep in against sens.

Silf doesnt make fantastic passing plays, and is vulnerabke to turning the ouck over, as is selanne. Mp is the only guy on that line i really think is going to be able to move the puck up the ice.

As teams adjust and scout the ducks, look for the opposition to put pressure on mp and force teemu and silf to get posession.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I am a little worried that silf, teemu, mp might struggle with puck posession as the season goes om and the shiny newness wears off. Saw a little bit of it creep in against sens.

I like the second line. It's still early to really say if there's a huge deficiency or not. And just because they didn't show up more often on the score sheet doesn't mean they weren't productive. The Sens game, they weren't on par of their previous games, but they weren't a liability as both MP22 and the Bullet backchecked.

The team gave up one goal. The Bullet did have 3 SOG's, Teemu 2 SOG's and MP22 had 5 SOG's. Also, there will be about a dozen games were Teemu will be replaced with either Maroon or Penner.

Right now, I'm quite pleased with the 2nd line considering how we didn't have any 2nd line center to begin with that was established at the NHL level. So the second line didn't carry us in the Sens game. That's okay because the first line stepped up, the one where there's two superstars on the line.

I guess I view the second line like I view the Vatman and Lindholm, still new and lots of talent, but be wary because they'll still make mistakes along the way.

Oct 18, 2011
Here I am to eat my crow

eat-crow.jpg

even though I would still like to see us be bigger down the middle as a team, the results speak for themselves. Perreault makes his linemates better, no matter who he has he creates offense, in this instance I have to tip my cap to the GM

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is undoubtedly one of Murray's best trades as GM of the Ducks. Or at least early on it seems that way. His 13 points put him in a tie for 7th in league scoring.

Ducksgo*

This is undoubtedly one of Murray's best trades as GM of the Ducks. Or at least early on it seems that way. His 13 points put him in a tie for 7th in league scoring.

Gotta agree with this DJ. As Hazy said tonight, "what a steal"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad