Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Ducks acquire Mathieu Perreault for 4th & John Mitchell

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
MP is not a 4th line centerman....he could easily take Sako's place on the 3rd line.

That's a pretty bold statement. MP might be able to match Koivu offensively but Koivu has a clear edge in every other area.

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
You realize Koivu fits that description I bolded right? Let's not jump to such conclusions about Perreault. I mean if we hadn't acquired him he would have been waived and sent to Hershey. He may very well be more of a Todd Marchant than an Andy McDonald. We didn't acquire him to step into a big role. If he plays his way into one great, but he's not slotted there by any means.

Koivu did ok when used in the second line role when initially coming to the ducks, and everyone was surprised when his production more or less stayed the same with a minor loss in this shortened while getting "demoted" to the third line. As always, I value playoff games more than anyone on this board it seems. When asked to go even with Pavel Datysuk he neither contributed offensively or did a particularly good job defensively.

I felt like last year the biggest weakness on the Anaheim team is the ability to contain an elite level scoring line, and using koivu strictly as a high-energy, high compete shield against that is about the only way I can see that the team did anything to address this.

The Ice time for centers in game 7 is as follows: Getzlaf 24:23, Bonino 17:20, Koivu 13:54, Steckel 7:25. Steckel was basically only used for faceoffs and his wingers got shifts with lines 1-2 in a revolving door. Having a 4th line that could log more minutes and actually stay together as a group would be good. Having the third line and fourth line close together at 10-12 minutes would be good.

I just don't see using Perreault in a near worthless role would beneifit anyone when we have such a logjam at forward. My only conclusion is that Perreault is going to get a significant role that Murray didn't trust to Holland, or Bonino is going to get traded very soon.

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
It isn't about the value of playoff games. It's about sample size.

Ok. All regular season long the third line was great and a major reason to why the ducks got to where they were. They did even get close to replicating this success in the playoffs. What do you do? The Sharks and Canucks have been asking themselves this for years, and clearly by that sample size: Doing nothing and hoping for improved playoff success is not that answer.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ok. All regular season long the third line was great and a major reason to why the ducks got to where they were. They did even get close to replicating this success in the playoffs. What do you do? The Sharks and Canucks have been asking themselves this for years, and clearly by that sample size: Doing nothing and hoping for improved playoff success is not that answer.

Bad example. The Canucks went to Game 7 of the Cup Finals. That alone should tell you that things -can- improve.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I love the trade as far as value and such but I don't understand the overall purpose, I suppose. Maybe it was just too good of a deal to pass up so Bob had to go for it. I don't know.

WrecKed

Jun 20, 2013
Manitoba
I find that many smaller players tend to be late bloomers in the NHL. Perrault could be a hidden gem if the Ducks give him a chance to prove himself, like this trade.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

I already asked you to explain this once before... How does Dustin Brown go from 20 points in 20 PO games in 11/12 to only 4 points in 18 games last season? One playoff run, let alone one playoff series, doesn't make one a good or bad playoff performer. When the Ducks played Nashville in the playoffs a couple of years ago, Koivu was more or less the best player on the team in that series.

Koivu ranked in the top 50 among centers in PPG last season, playing with a couple of grinders. There are 60 centers playing top six roles in the NHL. In other words, putting Koivu on the 4th line is complete waste, when he's in fact clearly the Ducks 2nd best center behind Getzlaf.

Maybe Koivu keeps aging this season and Bonino and Perreault bumps him down. But until then, Koivu is still the better player and should have a place in the top 9 to start with.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Why is anyone worried about semantics? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are just labels and they don't matter. The players that play well will get more ice time. It will fluctuate for everyone. Boudreau's going to take care of putting his best combinations together.

This isn't the Carlyle era anymore. People need to stop analyzing it in that way.

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
Perrault's a steal for what you got him for. He shows flashes and many on our board have tipped him to have a Briere-type late bloom. I on't think his ceiling is quite that high but he can be an extremely effective player when used in the right situations and Bouderau's knowledge of him should help (hopefully for your guys sake no lasting prejudices).

Also, enjoy chsb! You'll see plenty of him now, all #85 related.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I'm just worried this means Holland is not going to get a shot.

He's been given a lot of shots and I'm sure he'll get one more this season when one of our centers gets injured and/or underperforms.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm starting to think Holland had his shot and may have failed it in the eyes of BB.

Or, this could very much be a case of Holland not being quite ready for the second line, and not wanting to put him on the fourth line. Perrault is small and not great defensively, but his forecheck and tenacity probably make him a better option for a lower line role. But, who knows, maybe it is a case of them not thinking he's up for it, even though the preseason reviews seemed to be pretty good.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Or, this could very much be a case of Holland not being quite ready for the second line, and not wanting to put him on the fourth line. Perrault is small and not great defensively, but his forecheck and tenacity probably make him a better option for a lower line role. But, who knows, maybe it is a case of them not thinking he's up for it, even though the preseason reviews seemed to be pretty good.

That's certainly possible. It just seems like Holland has been on the cusp of making it the last 2 years. BB keeps telling us how hard he is working but somehow he never seems to fit anywhere that makes him get noticed. He seems to always be the odd man out.

It matters not to me, I just want the best guys to play. I'm only trying to read the tea leaves. Maybe I'm just reading coffee grounds instead. :dunno:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Holland might not be the player we all hope he can be. I've had my doubts for the last little while and this move reinforced them. He's talented but the knock on him from the day he was drafted was that he doesn't bring it every night. His value now might be best as trade bait. At 4 years since one's draft day you should know what kind of player he's going to be, at least with forwards. It may be time to start dangling him in some trade talks.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Holland might not be the player we all hope he can be. I've had my doubts for the last little while and this move reinforced them. He's talented but the knock on him from the day he was drafted was that he doesn't bring it every night. His value now might be best as trade bait. At 4 years since one's draft day you should know what kind of player he's going to be, at least with forwards. It may be time to start dangling him in some trade talks.

I'd have to imagine we're at that point, especially when we just acquired a young NHL center. Not to mention Rakell will probably be on the team next year, or the year after for sure.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm stumped, who's T-Bone? (All I can think of is T-Bone off Walking Dead right now :laugh:)

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
per :

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks 1m
#NHLDucks Perreault is wearing number 22.

T-Bone's old number

It was weird seeing someone other than Rooch wear 20 and it's going to be weird seeing Perreault wear Marchy's number.

I'm stumped, who's T-Bone? (All I can think of is T-Bone off Walking Dead right now :laugh:)

It's T-Dawg. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->