Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Ducks acquire Mathieu Perreault for 4th & John Mitchell

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Good reports from Caps fans, but, yeah, we aren`t getting any bigger. And we really need to adress the blueline.

One way or another, why not trade for 0,4+ PPG player without giving up anything important. Perrault should be a nice addition to PP and faceoffs.

Why aren`t top defenseman available like this? :huh: :laugh:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Haha, no one saw this move coming! Everyone was expecting a forward or two to be traded for a defender but Murray surprised us.

I guess this move was made because there are still injuries and Perreault is a backup plan if the youngsters don't do well. This move has no cons, he cost almost nothing in terms of trade value and money. At worst case scenario, he just gets benched.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Last year, we suffered a bit when Bonino was out with injury.

If bones or saku got hurt, we'd be throwing a lot onto Holland or whoever.

My big ???? Deals with Etem and Silf. I wonder who would be dealt or waved between belesky, maroon, etc.

Winnik should be kept, right? Cogs has a role on this team.

I guess we really dont need that Penner guy.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I've never heard of this guy, so I don't know what to make of it. He apparently ends the 4C debate. I'm sad that neither Holland nor Rakell proved themselves in training camp. His size is also a concern (how much of one, I don't know).

Here's hoping he skates at a minimum with Beleskey, he's going to need some size on his wings.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
So for opening day our lineup is

Palms-Getzlaf-Perry
Penner-Bonino-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogs
Beleskey-Perrault-Maroon

Silf and Etem out with injuries..

I like that 4th line actually

I hate how small we are at center after Getzlaf. We still lack a matchup center for big centers like Thornton and Kopitar. Koivu is good defensively, but he's too old, small, and gets tired too easily to play against those big guys. Looks like we're going to have to go with Getzlaf in a shutdown and scoring role -- this team is looking like an 80-85 point team...hope they prove me wrong.

Swap Belesky and Maroon and you're probably right. Belesky can play either side but Maroon is a straight up left winger. I still think Penner starts on the top line but Palmieri will probably find his way there before the first game is over.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only time he's seen consistent duty as a top six center was in 2011-2012 while Backstrom was hurt. Perreault centerd Semin and Chimera, and produced reasonably well (around a 50-point pace, and actually led the team with 2.36 P/60). Granted, this was over a relatively limited span and with quality linemates (Chimera was it the midst of his career season, offensively) and usually against 2nd and 3rd defensive pairs (the Ovechkin line obviously taking the harder match-ups).

Otherwise, he's mostly been utilized for offensive depth in Washington, getting shelterd minutes, but producing quite well in them. Both Hunter and Oates tended to use him in energy roles, on both the 3rd and 4th line to provide a spark. Oates, being more offensively minded, did give him better linemates and offensive chances than Hunter, though. He was sometimes a healthy scratch under both coaches though, including Hunter benching him in favor of Keith Aucoin during the playoffs.

Boudreau primarily used him as a sparkplug off the bench, calling him up when the team hit a slump or a player was injured. Perreault was essentially guaranteed to provide instant offense during that span, but would fade after a few games and would be relegated back to the press box/Hershey. Granted, this was also a few years ago and earlier in Perreault's career.

While it's certainly possible he becomes a late bloomer, it's like what you see is what you get from Perreault at this point. I question his ability to read the play to an extent (his game is relatively "simple" and he tends to chase the puck a bit), but his energy and skill allow him to still be a useful player. His game revolves around going hard all the time. He zips around the offensive and neutral zone, attempting to make life difficult for the other team. However, while he's certainly a spark plug, it can sometimes lead to him being behind the play heading back into the defensive zone (especially if he gets knocked down).

He's certainly shifty with the puck, but sometimes his coaches (particularly Oates) would prefer if he made the simpler play. He's got a nice one-touch pass, that's particularly useful on the powerplay. He's not afraid to shoot either, and will do his best to get open in the slot or around the crease when he doesn't have the puck. His goals tend to be more opportunistic than snipes, but they count all the same.

In the defensive zone, he doesn't have the strength to really challenge players physically in the slot. He attempts to compensate for this by aggressively cutting down passing lanes and challenging players with his stick. Sometimes this can lead to him being pulled out of position, though. He's certainly willing to battle along the boards (same with in the offensive zone), but the results are mixed if he doesn't recieve support.

He's a good piece at a very affordable price. Best suited for scoring depth, but he does have the potential to flourish in an increased role in the right situation. Considering you gave up essentially nothing for him, it should be a good trade for Anaheim, even if he ends up as a 4C more than a 2C.

I think he can play both wing and centre. I wonder if one of the wingers will be out for longer than expected or if he's gonna play C.
the interesting thing is i believe perreault can play LW correct??
There have been various openings at LW in Washington over the years, but none of the coaches (Boudreau/Hunter/Oates) have been willing to give Perreault a shot there. Oates even went as far as playing Matt Hendricks, Aaron Volpatti, and an ice cold Jason Chimera as the 1LW when Laich and Johansson were out last season, while Perreault was relegated to a 3/4C role.
It doesn't mean he can't play LW, just that the coaches in Washington never believed he could for whatever reason.

RogaineRyan

Mar 6, 2013
If Penner doesn't work out he could be used to sweeten a deal. I don't mind Penner being on the team atm because injuries will happen. Selanne sitting a few games once in a while it certainly won't hurt the team to have Penner.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If Penner doesn't work out he could be used to sweeten a deal. I don't mind Penner being on the team atm because injuries will happen. Selanne sitting a few games once in a while it certainly won't hurt the team to have Penner.

This is his last chance in the NHL. If he fails here he will have negative value in any deal.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I think so. Plus, for the time being he's definitely better than Holland, and is probably a better offensive player than Bonino. Having him as a 4C will be a luxury.

MP is not a 4th line centerman....he could easily take Sako's place on the 3rd line.

I very much doubt that Boudreau who knows him will waste him on 4th line icetime.

In Washington Perreault did not get the breaks he needed and was not a GMGM favorite for sure.

Johansson/Backstrom/were always seen ahead of him and they stuck their mind on having a defensive first 3rd line centerman.

MP would be good on a team rolling 3 offensive lines....however I don't know if it will be the case in Anaheim.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
MP is not a 4th line centerman....he could easily take Sako's place on the 3rd line.

I very much doubt that Boudreau who knows him will waste him on 4th line icetime.

In Washington Perreault did not get the breaks he needed and was not a GMGM favorite for sure.

Johansson/Backstrom/were always seen ahead of him and they stuck their mind on having a defensive first 3rd line centerman.

MP would be good on a team rolling 3 offensive lines....however I don't know if it will be the case in Anaheim.

That very much is the case. Hell with Perreault we should be rolling four lines consistently if we stay out of the box.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

Whoa.... them's fighting words

QuackCity93

Sep 30, 2013
really good trade this guy has some really got potential and hes good sick hands and a nice shot. and we didnt give up much for him either and hes in a contract year so maybe he will be even more motived to get a raise and show the caps why the should have kept him

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
Seems more likely to me that Koivu is going to take Steckel's role in a more active 4th line. It would make more sense for Koivu keep in the draws/defense niche that people associate him with in the 4th line then wasting Perreault there.

Having 3 scoring lines also gives our talent a more direct and focused approach to making the team. Instead of worrying about what kind of funky 4th line they are going to throw out for 7 minutes a game with Koivu in the guaranteed spot on the third line they can save Koivu and use him on the PK and against the other first line like a chess piece. All the young centers now know exactly who they have to outperform to earn a spot on the team. I feel it makes the competition a lot less prone to "he can't do anything on the 4th line arguement" which is good for everyone involved.

As to whether the team can win this way, I don't think so.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Seems more likely to me that Koivu is going to take Steckel's role in a more active 4th line. It would make more sense for Koivu keep in the draws/defense niche that people associate him with in the 4th line then wasting Perreault there.

Having 3 scoring lines also gives our talent a more direct and focused approach to making the team. Instead of worrying about what kind of funky 4th line they are going to throw out for 7 minutes a game with Koivu in the guaranteed spot on the third line they can save Koivu and use him on the PK and against the other first line like a chess piece. All the young centers now know exactly who they have to outperform to earn a spot on the team. I feel it makes the competition a lot less prone to "he can't do anything on the 4th line arguement" which is good for everyone involved.

As to whether the team can win this way, I don't think so.

I completely disagree. Koivu is very much still our third line and key shutdown center. Perreault was one step above being waived. He'll start on the fourth line and have to earn his way up the roster. If anything him and Bonino flip flop. I feel this move was made specifically because the Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano line is still terrific. They were excellent against the Sharks the other night. Pulling Winnik from the fourth line meant we needed another body there and clearly he feels Holland isn't that guy.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Perreault has his work cut out for him if he's going to bump Koivu down the roster. He'd have an easier time going after Bonino's job.

8inblack

Apr 28, 2009
Hesperia, CA
I completely disagree. Koivu is very much still our third line and key shutdown center. Perreault was one step above being waived. He'll start on the fourth line and have to earn his way up the roster. If anything him and Bonino flip flop. I feel this move was made specifically because the Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano line is still terrific. They were excellent against the Sharks the other night. Pulling Winnik from the fourth line meant we needed another body there and clearly he feels Holland isn't that guy.

Why can't that line be our shutdown line in a more strategic way? Strictly used in a counter type way. That way Koivu can be rested know that he has 1 job and 1 job only. I feel like the 4th line has/is will be useless every time we try to stick some guy who should be put in a bigger offensive role there.

I guess my main question here is if we are looking for that energy 4th line guy, why did we acquire someone with a skillset more similar to Andy Mac then Rob Niedermayer/Todd Marchant?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Why can't that line be our shutdown line in a more strategic way? Strictly used in a counter type way. That way Koivu can be rested know that he has 1 job and 1 job only. I feel like the 4th line has/is will be useless every time we try to stick some guy who should be put in a bigger offensive role there.

I guess my main question here is if we are looking for that energy 4th line guy, why did we acquire someone with a skillset more similar to Andy Mac then Rob Niedermayer/Todd Marchant?

You realize Koivu fits that description I bolded right? Let's not jump to such conclusions about Perreault. I mean if we hadn't acquired him he would have been waived and sent to Hershey. He may very well be more of a Todd Marchant than an Andy McDonald. We didn't acquire him to step into a big role. If he plays his way into one great, but he's not slotted there by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad