Confirmed Trade: [ANA/OTT] Erik Gudbranson for 2021 5th round pick

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Guds was solid for the Ducks in the Top 4. No complaints here. Seems they are clearing cap to add someone like Shattenkirk or Barrie.

Shattenkirk had expressed interest but wanted to win a cup so signed with Tampa, well now that’s done, and Tampa cannot re-sign him due to cap, seems to make sense. Wouldn’t mind like a 1-2 year deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sad to see posts like this that are intentionally dense just baiting others.

Neither intentional, dense, nor baiting. Legitimate question given that they didn't even want to go to arbitration at all.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
We just traded for Jared Cowen. Only hes now 28, makes 3M, has a 4M cap hit, and somehow has even worse stats (both advanced and otherwise)

Hes big, hes from Ottawa, and he wrote an article that said racism is bad though, so it's all good.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So, Dorion takes on Gudbranson, with $3M in cash to pay him, but he was worried Duclair would get too much in arbitration?

Whatever Duclair got in arbitration, it would be something where his cap hit is equal to his salary. That is too much for Melnyk.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever Duclair got in arbitration, it would be something where his cap hit is equal to his salary. That is too much for Melnyk.

We don't know that. They didn't go to arbitration. And even if it did, who cares? It's 1 year. You still need bodies on your roster to run the clock.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
$3M for a Bottom 6 dman.

Thought Melnyk was trying to be the first team to ever reach the cap floor without paying any actual cash?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm not sure how he was for Pittsburgh/Anaheim, but he was quite literally the worst defenceman that I have ever seen play for the Canucks. That is not hyperbole. I get that he's big and supposedly tough, but he cannot play NHL hockey at an acceptable level.
From Penguins and Ducks fans reports, he was quite a bit better for them to the point of being quite serviceable. Also, Yanick Weber, Luca Sbisa, and Matt Bartkowski were all worse.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Really depends on what Guds shows up....Good Guds (the most recent version) and this is a perfectly fine deal although I question why you need/want both Josh Brown and Guds. Bad Guds and this is just a one year stinker of a contract. Who knows?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We don't know that. They didn't go to arbitration. And even if it did, who cares? It's 1 year. You still need bodies on your roster to run the clock.

You don’t seem to understand.

On a one year deal, Duclair’s cap hit WILL be exactly equal to his salary. We DO know that with 100% certainty. If the arbitrator gives him $900K, Melnyk pays $900K. If the arbitrator gives him $4M, Melnyk pays $4M. No gray area.

This is not the case for Gudbranson. His cap hit is $4M but his actual salary is only $3M. That is why Ottawa targeted Gudbranson.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Gudbranson is the new Hainsey. They gave Ron $3.5m last year so why not give Erik $3m...

I don’t know why people keep expecting Ottawa to just take on cap/money with picks as sweeteners. They didn’t do it last year and have been pretty vocal about sticking with their own strategy rather than what the fans and media thinks they should do.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How Gudbranson performs is kind of irrelevant. As long as he is able to be on the ice and shelter some of the more inexperienced players I'm not worried. This team has no aspirations to compete next year.

Reactions: NyQuil

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Gudbranson is the new Hainsey. They gave Ron $3.5m last year so why not give Erik $3m...

I don’t know why people keep expecting Ottawa to just take on cap/money with picks as sweeteners. They didn’t do it last year and have been pretty vocal about sticking with their own strategy rather than what the fans and media thinks they should do.
Dorion with a green light to spend to the cap actually scares me now that I think about it.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If anyone is curious, Gudbranson's numbers with Fowler (his most common partner) are actually good.
50.2% xGF%
52% CF%
And those are while playing on a mediocre possession team.
However, his numbers playing with Lindholm, where he got very few O-zone starts, are not good.
Essentially, he shouldn't be relied on to be your top shutdown guy, but if you shelter him a little bit with a quality puck-mover, he is fine.

EDIT: Putting this in an Ottawa context, however, might not work out. Going off of what I said, his ideal partner would be Chabot, but the Sens don't exactly have a Lindholm-Manson shutdown pairing to give them easier minutes.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How Gudbranson performs is kind of irrelevant. As long as he is able to be on the ice and shelter some of the more inexperienced players I'm not worried. This team has no aspirations to compete next year.

I think they want to improve, but I’m not sure how much they will. They aren’t a playoff team yet. The good news is they have a lot of guys with expiring contracts after next season.

Gudbranson
Anisimov
Reilly
Nilsson
Gaborik (LTIR)

All those guys come off the books at the end of next year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gudbranson is a fine player to have on your bottom pair. Nowhere near as bad as this site thinks he is.

Agreed. He was fine during his tenure with the Pens. He got moved because of the logjam at RD and him making too much money to be a bottom pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad