Confirmed Trade: [ANA/OTT] Erik Gudbranson for 2021 5th round pick

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Pay 3m for 4m cap hit
I think Ottawa will be a team near the floor and is getting there inch by inch.
I think the fact he's ufa after this season helps soften the load instead of taking on players with term and multiple bonuses to be paid etc..

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I'm a long-suffering Ottawa fan, so I'll explain the thought process here for people not fluent in Melnyk-economics:

- The team needs to hit the cap floor.
- Duclair would have likely made a 3-3.5M salary via arbitration with a corresponding 3-3.5M cap hit.
- Gudbranson makes the same money (3M) but has a 4M cap hit.

Ergo, the money was better spent on Gudbranson than Duclair, and they also burned a pick to make it happen.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Gudbranson is a fine player to have on your bottom pair. Nowhere near as bad as this site thinks he is.
I'm not sure how he was for Pittsburgh/Anaheim, but he was quite literally the worst defenceman that I have ever seen play for the Canucks. That is not hyperbole. I get that he's big and supposedly tough, but he cannot play NHL hockey at an acceptable level.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I'm not sure how he was for Pittsburgh/Anaheim, but he was quite literally the worst defenceman that I have ever seen play for the Canucks. That is not hyperbole. I get that he's big and supposedly tough, but he cannot play NHL hockey at an acceptable level.

He was a pleasant surprise for the Ducks last season. Actually a solid defenseman. This is a cap move for the Ducks.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Ottawa like Ian Cole as well? His contract is basically identical to Gudbranson's, or even slightly better if the aim is to reach the capfloor.

Gudbranson: $3m salary / $4m caphit x 1 year
Cole:............. $3m salary / $4.25m caphit x 1 year

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know how to feel about him. He played out west so I didn't get to watch him much... Mixed reactions on here. Good with Anaheim, bad elsewhere. WHICH ONE IS IT?!

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
So ottawa helped a team to release salary cap and paid... for it?

lol.

Byron for 2nd then

The fact that Gudbranson's salary is 1M less than his cap hit was incredibly valuable to Ottawa. Concerns about what should be a trivial sum of money to an NHL team drive almost every decision they make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad