Confirmed Trade: [ANA/OTT] Erik Gudbranson for 2021 5th round pick

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The fact that Gudbranson's salary is 1M less than his cap hit was incredibly valuable to Ottawa. Concerns about what should be a trivial sum of money to an NHL team drive almost every decision they make.
The sens will be above the floor without that extra million. You're talking our yout ass on this one.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Zaitsev doesnt work well with Chabot. That's probably why we grabbed Gudbranson.

Yeah, quite possible. Gud can protect Chabot if anyone tries to take advantage of him.

Either way, those are the 7 dmen we will likely go with for next season. Hainsey is gone for sure now. Not sure what happens to Jaros.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gudbranson is a fine player to have on your bottom pair. Nowhere near as bad as this site thinks he is.

He's the worst regular player I've ever seen in ~30 years of watching the Vancouver Canucks. Pretty much single-handedly took the team out of the playoffs in 2019 and almost destroyed Ben Hutton's career.

It sounds like he was better in Anaheim last year but how bad Gudbranson was in Vancouver cannot possibly be understated.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This is likely the end of Jaros then? Unless there's a magic Zaitsev move coming.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The only reason I find this odd is because Gudbranson was pretty solid for the Ducks last year. Weird trade unless they think they're going to sign a top end RD in free agency.

Our beat writer and Lebrun have both said we're going to be in on Barrie and Shattenkirk.

Reactions: Laus723

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a long-suffering Ottawa fan, so I'll explain the thought process here for people not fluent in Melnyk-economics:

- The team needs to hit the cap floor.
- Duclair would have likely made a 3-3.5M salary via arbitration with a corresponding 3-3.5M cap hit.
- Gudbranson makes the same money (3M) but has a 4M cap hit.

Ergo, the money was better spent on Gudbranson than Duclair, and they also burned a pick to make it happen.

They could certainly just spend the money on both. If the guy is making $3.5M for 1 year after arbitration, what's the difference? He's a guy running the clock until younger players take his role. No different than Gudbranson would be doing right now, he is still on the edge of being replacement-level player, that's why the return was what it was

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Our beat writer and Lebrun have both said we're going to be in on Barrie and Shattenkirk.

Barrie with you guys would make a lot of sense, expect thats where he ends up signing.

Good trade for both teams. Its a 5th. It frees up salary for Ducks, sens get an actual hockey player on a decent contract for the year. Helps shelter prospects, its a fine deal. Now ottawa, we have a nice Ian Cole available for that as well

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I'm a long-suffering Ottawa fan, so I'll explain the thought process here for people not fluent in Melnyk-economics:

- The team needs to hit the cap floor.
- Duclair would have likely made a 3-3.5M salary via arbitration with a corresponding 3-3.5M cap hit.
- Gudbranson makes the same money (3M) but has a 4M cap hit.

Ergo, the money was better spent on Gudbranson than Duclair, and they also burned a pick to make it happen.

Oh yah, all of this makes sense with the assumption that Ottawa has no interest in competing this year.

The only goal is to field a cap floor team and survive.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The fact that Gudbranson's salary is 1M less than his cap hit was incredibly valuable to Ottawa. Concerns about what should be a trivial sum of money to an NHL team drive almost every decision they make.
If that was their concern, canucks have a player who's salary is $5M below his cap hit, that they could be persuaded to move for a 2nd round pick!

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The only reason is because his real salary is 3 M and his caphit is 4 M. They save 1 M getting to the cap floor, and are willing to pay a 5th for that.

That is it.

100% Melnick.

Joke of an organization.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Weird... didnt expect gudbranson to be moved considering our defensive depth on right side.

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
The sens will be above the floor without that extra million. You're talking our yout ass on this one.

Well they have 12 spots and 16m needed to get to the floor.
While this is easy to plug and play 1 player a shade over a million for those spots.

We often forget players need to sign the dotted line, so what motivation is there to sign a 1y deal with a low number on a rebuilding team? This isn't like Shattenkirk signing with tampa, they were odds on favorites to win so he was doing it with purpose.

Dorion needs to get bodies in the door and there's other teams looking to save money, they just had a great draft and a 5th round pick might not hold that much value, maybe Gudbranson can help season their young D core as well, he was a former first round draft pick himself so he can talk to that and the expectations that come with it.

I like the move personally I just think there's alot of inner workings behind it more than adding a piece to their blue line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad