Proposal: Ana needs 1st line LW

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yup i can't remember to many times when you had this many top RFAs still left unsigned like Ristolainen, Lindholm, Trouba and Gaudreau still left unsigned by training camp. Still have to agree that Anaheim will do something here once the worlds are over. They've tons of D and could use a top 6 LW and Detroit has tons of forwards and could use a top 4 LHD/RHD still think that Anaheim and Detroit make good trading partners here. Something around Tatar+ makes tons of sense for Cam Fowler.
Detroit is and has been bush sitting all off season I think they are trying to get blueline help for sure

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
correct me if im wrong but i get the impression the owners are somewhat tight fisted with their cash. they have an internal cap which is obviously below the salary cap. they strike me as the type then who would not be buying people out to go sit at home no ?

Do the math. Bieksa's last year is $4M. A buyout costs appx $2.6M plus the cost of his roster replacement. His replacement will be either an ELC guy or a #7 NHL guy, neither of which will cost more than $1M. 2.6+1.0=3.6.

3.6<4.0.......There is no dollar cost to buying out Bieksa if he refuses to waive.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Do the math. Bieksa's last year is $4M. A buyout costs appx $2.6M plus the cost of his roster replacement. His replacement will be either an ELC guy or a #7 NHL guy, neither of which will cost more than $1M. 2.6+1.0=3.6.

3.6<4.0.......There is no dollar cost to buying out Bieksa if he refuses to waive.

except the owner is paying more for less.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

The Ducks have bought out and retained salary before. They are fine with doing it if it helps the team. The Ducks are still saving money per season if they buyout Bieksa, while they also get to protect a better defensemen from the draft.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The Ducks have bought out and retained salary before. They are fine with doing it if it helps the team. The Ducks are still saving money per season if they buyout Bieksa, while they also get to protect a better defensemen from the draft.

what is there internal cap by the way ? they have so many solid core pieces to contend for the cup every year. it would be frustrating to see them not get that one or two extra guys to put you over the top.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Check your math. 3.6 is not more than 4.0. Your argument was based on budget, not talent. And it's borderline debatable that the Ducks would be any worse off in that scenario. But even if you were right that they were worse off, it would be a tiny bit worse off for the sake of protecting one more, much better player.

The Ducks will not keep Bieksa and protect him. You can make book on that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
what is there internal cap by the way ? they have so many solid core pieces to contend for the cup every year. it would be frustrating to see them not get that one or two extra guys to put you over the top.

Its very annoying to be so close but not able to make those small moves to put us over the top.

Things like if we were able to keep palms beleskey and beauchmin... I feel like if we had beauchmin we would have beatin Chicago... if we had palms and beleskey last season against Nashville(or any team in the west) there is a good chance we are playing pitt for the cup too.

tough to be a fan and know your close and have room to spend to make the team better but cant be used.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Its very annoying to be so close but not able to make those small moves to put us over the top.

Things like if we were able to keep palms beleskey and beauchmin... I feel like if we had beauchmin we would have beatin Chicago... if we had palms and beleskey last season against Nashville(or any team in the west) there is a good chance we are playing pitt for the cup too.

tough to be a fan and know your close and have room to spend to make the team better but cant be used.

Uh, we did and he was terrible. Honestly, he's only a slight upgrade over Bieksa. Palms would have been useless like he was for us previously in the playoffs. Beleskey would have been nice to have though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I don't buy blaming that on the owners. That falls on the incompetency of Murray in the past year. He's paying Bieksa 500k less than Beauchemin is making with the Avs right now...is that 500k your owners being cheap? Or was it Murray deciding he wanted to switch things up (Bieksa had a year left on his deal when he was traded for earning 100k more than Beauch now) and turning out to be very wrong? Or what about dumping 3.25 million on Clayton Stoner? Or inexplicably trading Maroon for a meagre return, to a division rival, at a position of need, AND retaining salary? I'm sure not having owners willing to spend more sucks, but Murray has done a lot of stupid things with the money he has been given (over 7 million on Stoner and Bieksa combined is inexcusable for any team that needs to watch its pennies).

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Bieksa for D.Brown! Ducks don't have to protect Bieksa in the expansion draft, he may waive his NTC to move down the freeway. Kings can protect 4D as they don't have more then 4 forwards they need to protect.

How is this bad?

As a King fan it's all good but no way in hell Ana would help us out by taking Browns contract for 6 more years.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They wouldn't do it straight up for Lindholm and you think they are adding in Theo. This is bad for the Ducks and could awful if Marchand walked after his contract is up. Terrible offer.
:help:
Not even sure id do Theodore straight up for him, hes a FA and very unlikely we can afford specially with a team like vegas in the market. Not to mention the cost and what not lol just a terrible offer.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
cammalieri?

I wouldn't mind calamari if he was only signed through this year or even next, but 3 years at 5mil would be a tough pill to swallow for the ducks budget. BM is going to have to work some magic in getting a young forward who is controllable for years to come.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Is this assuming Getzlaf and Perry are on separate lines? If those two can't carry a third wheel bottom six type player, they've declined pretty fast.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
As a Leafs fan I won't mention the obvious ... cause :deadhorse

Seriously....1st line forwards cost $$$, Ducks have no $$$, Ducks still need a first line LW.

Their solution will come internally, because that's how the Ducks roll. If they don't have one internally, then they won't have one. Not much has changed, just another year where fans want Getz & Perry to have that perfect partner, but truth is, they don't need it because once you have PB&J the bread really doesn't matter.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Honestly, I think TO is a good trade partner for the Ducks.
JVR would fit their need and the Leafs need D, which Anaheim has.
Only issue I see is whether JVR could survive the more physical Western Conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad