Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim William Lagesson off waivers from the Maple Leafs

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's a pending UFA. The team better for what?

And I would have said the same thing if the Leafs starting claiming older pending UFA players on the trade deadline when they were dead last. What is the purpose?
You know the Anaheim Ducks will be in the NHL next year, right? They will almost certainly ice a roster, too. Did you know that Lagesson needs a new contract for next year? It's kinda crazy, but maybe the team who needs players for next year and the player who needs a team for next year might be able to help one another out, somehow....
If they wanted to make their team better they shouldn't have sold at the deadline. Seems counterproductive.
Ironically, Washington could have improved their team AND added assets simply by trading Edmundson to Toronto and claiming Lagesson on waivers. Unfortunately, the scheming Anaheim Ducks got in the way....
Tell us which part of that statement was false?
1) That they "screwed" Lagesson. Clearly they didn't. They took away one opportunity (being on a playoff roster, possibly playing every few games) but gave him another (play more, potentially earn an everyday role with another/lesser team).
2) That they did so for "no reason", when there are many, many obvious explanations for why they would claim him.

Reactions: MCB and MMC

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'm dissapointed as a fan of the leafs, but thrilled for lagesson. Guy has played steady, mistake-free hockey and should have a chance to showcase himself a bit into a decent payday above league min. I get the salty sentiment though, even if I don't see the leafs getting more than 7 po games- depth is always good.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tell us which part of that statement was false?

The part where a Leaf fan claimed he was "screwed" by being picked up.

The notion that an AHL tweener on a team that just acquired two veteran defensemen ahead of him on the depth chart would be "screwed" by moving from the press box and onto an NHL roster is hilariously out to lunch.

Unless, of course, you think everyones dream is to be a Maple Leaf and you think Laggeson would prefer to sit in the press box and cheer for his blue and white heroes rather than suiting up for the Ducks in an effort to cement an NHL job.

The idea that he has been "screwed" here is completely clueless.

Could have tossed in one of our 3 goalies in a trade and got something of value back like a pick or a prospect...and kept Lagesson.

If it was either of Samsonov or Jones, I really don't think there would be any value coming back the other way, and if it was Woll, you'd have to seriously question what the Maple Leafs were doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: crowi and Oyletime

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The part where a Leaf fan claimed he was "screwed" by being picked up.

The notion that an AHL tweener on a team that just acquired two veteran defensemen ahead of him on the depth chart would be "screwed" by moving from the press box and onto an NHL roster is hilariously out to lunch.

Unless, of course, you think everyones dream is to be a Maple Leaf and you think Laggeson would rather sit in a press box and cheer for blue and white heroes rather than suiting up for the Ducks in an effort to cement an NHL job.

The idea that he has been "screwed" here is completely clueless.
I think you're missing the playoffs part of the original comment
Anaheim claiming him screwed him out of the chance getting his first career NHL playoff game this season, while a little bit dramatic, is technically true - barring Anaheim winning every game remaining in the season and squeaking into the playoffs, Lagesson will not be able to play an NHL playoff game this season

• Haha
Reactions: crowi

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think you're missing the playoffs part of the original comment
Anaheim claiming him screwed him out of the chance getting his first career NHL playoff game this season, while a little bit dramatic, is technically true - barring Anaheim winning every game remaining in the season and squeaking into the playoffs, Lagesson will not be able to play an NHL playoff game this season

Yes, I'm sure the Leafs had huge plans for him in the post-season. That must be why they went out and traded for two veteran defenseman and then placed Lagesson on waivers.

I'm not "missing the playoffs part," I didn't even address it because it was a totally clueless take on the situation.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Laggy and benny have both sone what was asked of them on the leafs. That said laggy needs a regular spot.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Good claim by the Ducks. Glad he’ll get more of an opportunity to play over in Anaheim.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The Ducks walked away from Benoit several months ago, so I'm not sure why we are tying the moves together, but if we're doing this...

Lagesson + 3rd for Benoit + Lyubushkin looks fine on paper to me.
Ducks walked away from Benoit almost a year ago. But toronto waived lagesson rather than waive Benoit, and Anaheim claimed him. That's why I made the comparison. Not a big deal. Just having fun in my own mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad