Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim William Lagesson off waivers from the Maple Leafs

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Sucks for Lagesson. He was playing well and I'm surprised he was waived in the first place.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Why? Because they care about players?

I don't think too many players in the NHL would be happy to be waived and claimed by a non-playoff team right before the deadline.
Dude played in 30 games and had 14 TOI...He was also DNP'd for like 2 months straight. he'll get a chance to play in ANA.

Doesn't suck that bad. Sounds like he's going directly to Anaheim, where he'll play a lot.
way too difficult for leafs fans to understand.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Unfortunate for him. Might have played his first playoff game this year.

Unless the Ducks are planning to flip him they just screwed him for no reason. He’s a UFA in the summer anyway.
Its a competitive league with paying costumers. Hardly "no reason"

In NHL 24 be a GM mode it might make sense to ice the worst team possible but not so much in real life.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If anything it continues to prove to players that if they want a shot at playing time/big money contracts they should sign a year in Toronto. They always will have everyone’s eyes on them good or bad.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm always happy for the players who get claimed off waivers. That's what the waiver-system is for.

Lagesson played well enough in Toronto that he doesn't deserve a demotion to the minors. He's a sixth-year pro on a two-way contract who will continue to get full pay while he continues to play in rhe NHL.

It's all good, and that's what it's all about :)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm sure the Ducks saw him plenty in Bakersfield.

The biggest knock on him was his skate speed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I don't think too many players in the NHL would be happy to be waived and claimed by a non-playoff team right before the deadline.

You made a dumbass comment about Anaheim 'screwing' him, when it was Toronto who put him up on waivers for the league to take.

Yeah, he probably would have preferred to stay in TO even knowing he might be healthy scratched for most of the playoffs. But going to Sunny California and getting more ice time isn't the worst thing and might help him with his next contract.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You made a dumbass comment about Anaheim 'screwing' him, when it was Toronto who put him up on waivers for the league to take.

Yeah, he probably would have preferred to stay in TO even knowing he might be healthy scratched for most of the playoffs. But going to Sunny California and getting more ice time isn't the worst thing and might help him with his next contract.

Why is that a dumbass comment?

He could have been claimed by a playoff team also but the waivers prioritize bad teams first. If San Jose/Chicago claimed him, I would have said the same thing. He went to the third worst team in the league. It's not like he's a young player under team control either.

Playing the rest of the season for the draft lottery isn't appealing for most athletes.

• Haha
Reactions: MD93 and Daz28

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why is that a dumbass comment?

He could have been claimed by a playoff team also but the waivers prioritize bad teams first. If San Jose claimed him, I would have said the same thing.

Playing the rest of the season for the draft lottery isn't appealing for most athletes.

Because Anaheim isn't screwing him or Toronto or anyone, theyre trying to improve their team and they claimed him. There is nothing more to it.

The Leafs shouldn't have put him on waivers if they didn't want to potentially lose him.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Thats on the team that waived him. Leafs screwed Lagesson over.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Because Anaheim isn't screwing him or Toronto or anyone, theyre trying to improve their team and they claimed him. There is nothing more to it.

The Leafs shouldn't have put him on waivers if they didn't want to potentially lose him.

He's a pending UFA. The team better for what?

A Leafs fan acting like their team has never been at the bottom of the standings before. lol

And I would have said the same thing if the Leafs starting claiming older pending UFA players on the trade deadline when they were dead last. What is the purpose?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The team better for what? I think that's the opposite of their goal.

Yes, a professional sports team is trying to improve and get better...I know, earth shattering

They aren't catching the Blackhawks or Sharks in any hypothetical tank race if you're insinuating they should be actively trying to lose games (which doesn't really happen either).

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, a professional sports team is trying to improve and get better...I know, earth shattering

They aren't catching the Blackhawks or Sharks in any hypothetical tank race if you're insinuating they should be actively trying to lose games (which doesn't really happen either).

If they wanted to make their team better they shouldn't have sold at the deadline. Seems counterproductive.

• Haha
Reactions: MD93 and Daz28

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Leafs fan tears are a good sign from my perspective.

If they wanted to make their team better they shouldn't have sold at the deadline. Seems counterproductive.
Have you not paid attention to the deadline? Ducks sold and now need to fill roster spots. Look, I think I know what's going on here. Don't worry, Divine. Anaheim is a nice place to live and play hockey. Good weather, lots to do, you'll probably like it a lot here while your dad plays hockey for the Ducks. Give it a chance, bro!

• Haha
Reactions: TheOne and Hobnobs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Have you not paid attention to the deadline? Ducks sold and now need to fill roster spots.

I don't see why Chicago and San Jose didn't do it.

I thought Anaheim wanted to flip him, but someone else probably put in a claim not allowing them to trade him.

Anaheim has 8 defencemen right now.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Unfortunate for him. Might have played his first playoff game this year.

Unless the Ducks are planning to flip him they just screwed him for no reason. He’s a UFA in the summer anyway.
Dont f***ing put him on waivers then

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad