Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim William Lagesson off waivers from the Maple Leafs

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Unfortunate for him. Might have played his first playoff game this year.

Unless the Ducks are planning to flip him they just screwed him for no reason. He’s a UFA in the summer anyway.
The ducks screwed him by grabbing him off waivers? Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaa

If they wanted to make their team better they shouldn't have sold at the deadline. Seems counterproductive.
You start watching after Auston was already a leaf?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's a pending UFA. The team better for what?

And I would have said the same thing if the Leafs starting claiming older pending UFA players on the trade deadline when they were dead last. What is the purpose?
The flip side of that is you don't earn higher money on your next contract by riding the bench. The only way he gets more than an AHL contract is by proving it on the ice, which he has more of an opportunity to do on a bad team where ice time is available (assuming Cronin plays him).

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Unsurprising. After all, the entire hockey world knows what's going on in Leafs land, and this player developed some (relatively) real profile in a tough place and situation to play. I would have wanted him for my team.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Leafs players always get claimed, am I right?
Not every player, but they are the most claimed in the past 10 years - losing 16 players dating back to 2014
Next closest in that time frame is Florida with 13

Need to go back 2010-11 for another team to catch up. From 2010-11 to 2023-24, both Toronto and Pittsburgh have lost 18 players

Reactions: AslanRH

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
nice for Willy to get another shot. Solid unspectacular guy. I feel like with the right partner in the right situation he could be a regular on someone’s bottom pair.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The flip side of that is you don't earn higher money on your next contract by riding the bench. The only way he gets more than an AHL contract is by proving it on the ice, which he has more of an opportunity to do on a bad team where ice time is available (assuming Cronin plays him).
Yeah, (assuming he plays more) they actually did him a favor, they certainly didn’t “screw” him by claiming him and he will now get to play. Idk, but I’d rather play on a bad team than always sitting up top and watching as a member of a good team.

Reactions: lwvs84

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Could have tossed in one of our 3 goalies in a trade and got something of value back like a pick or a prospect...and kept Lagesson.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Lagesson lost his job to Benoit who, we were told, was the worst defenceman in the league when we signed him but now that Lagesson isn't a Maple leaf hes better than full time NHLers!

Isn't that neat.
I swear the only time I see Benoit mentioned by Leafs fans is to say this lol. It's okay if people dont praise every move your team makes. You know that right?

I'm happy Benoit is doing well. I met him in 2019 randomly at the hotel they had the rookies at during training camp. Seemed like a really good kid.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Could have tossed in one of our 3 goalies in a trade and got something of value back like a pick or a prospect...and kept Lagesson.
Can't take that chance with Sammy and woll injury history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad