Confirmed Trade: [ANA/DET/FLA] Michael Del Zotto to the Ducks, Danny O'Regan to the Red Wings, Givani Smith to the Panthers

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well, I'm half expecting Maurice to play Smith 20 minutes a night with Eric Staal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Damn... I didn't know you had his current-season +/- in your back pocket.

How can I possibly respond...?
I understand +\- isn’t the best statistic but when you’re a -21 in 19 games + not producing and the next worst on the team is a -13 then you’re clearly doing something wrong. I don’t know why you have to be condescending about it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Wings are going for it, they are really going for it! Good day to be a Wings fan!

giphy.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seems like you're evaluating him based on a 20 game statistical sample. Given his age & style, his career AHL production is nothing to look down your nose at. Plus, he plays the game in a way that some guys just aren't willing to do.

Smith is a call-up/extra forward, probably never an everyday player, but he can still improve and make himself into a more useful depth option.

Here is my take on Smith as a Wings fan. He is pretty bad at most hockey skills, below average and inconsistent hitter, and while he is willing to drop the gloves, he isn't really good at it, as he usually loses pretty quickly in most fights. Even with the fighting his willingness for the physical side of the game is very inconsistent which is why he couldn't even keep a spot on our team last year, and even with the boatload of injuries this year, he still only got 2 games in this year.

I think at best, he is an AHL forward, and should only be in the NHL, IF you have about 4-8 forwards out with injury.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Here is my take on Smith as a Wings fan. He is pretty bad at most hockey skills, below average and inconsistent hitter, and while he is willing to drop the gloves, he isn't really good at it, as he usually loses pretty quickly in most fights. Even with the fighting his willingness for the physical side of the game is very inconsistent which is why he couldn't even keep a spot on our team last year, and even with the boatload of injuries this year, he still only got 2 games in this year.

I think at best, he is an AHL forward, and should only be in the NHL, IF you have about 4-8 forwards out with injury.
Even then he wouldn't be my first call as a 22nd forward (13 on a roster and assuming the 8 injuries like you said). He gets WAY too much latitude for people who want anyone with any remote ounce of physicality. He's just not a good NHL player. Great hockey player, probably a good guy but who knows, but not NHL caliber in any way.

People want to give the benefit of the doubt to "tough" guys. It's the same reason why so many Wings fans had a love affair with Mitch f***ing Callahan and wanted to paint him into every opening night lineup. You're better signing some rando available UFA than Givani Smith. Sucks that he's not good because we used a 2nd on him, but he's just not.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Even then he wouldn't be my first call as a 22nd forward (13 on a roster and assuming the 8 injuries like you said). He gets WAY too much latitude for people who want anyone with any remote ounce of physicality. He's just not a good NHL player. Great hockey player, probably a good guy but who knows, but not NHL caliber in any way.

People want to give the benefit of the doubt to "tough" guys. It's the same reason why so many Wings fans had a love affair with Mitch f***ing Callahan and wanted to paint him into every opening night lineup. You're better signing some rando available UFA than Givani Smith. Sucks that he's not good because we used a 2nd on him, but he's just not.

Yes, pretty much my thoughts. He would be behind a number of other players in the call up list, unless you literally had 4th line AHL and ECHL players behind him.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Can't wait to see these 3 square off in the cup finals!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad