Confirmed Trade: [ANA/DET/FLA] Michael Del Zotto to the Ducks, Danny O'Regan to the Red Wings, Givani Smith to the Panthers

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
In real dollars, they added. But maybe Smith is an option as a checking line forward. They called up Zac Dalpe (750K), Aleksi Heponiemi (750K), and Grigori Denisenko (925K) recently. So maybe Smith can take one of those spots. They could save in real money by sending Heponiemi/Denisenko down and using Smith instead. But with the cap, it's nearly a wash.
I’m rusty on my cap rules. Don’t Hep/Denisenko not count against the cap with two way contracts, but Smith does on his one way? I forget the rules ngl.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I’m rusty on my cap rules. Don’t Hep/Denisenko not count against the cap with two way contracts, but Smith does on his one way? I forget the rules ngl.

I'm sure somebody with a black belt in CBA rules can offer up a better explanation, but basically your 23 man NHL roster is what counts against the cap. If a guy on a two way deal gets called up to the main team, then his NHL contract counts against the cap but if he gets sent back to the AHL then he's off the cap (and makes noticeably less money in the minors).

In terms of book keeping:

Heponiemi as NHL depth forward (750K) + Del Zotto as AHL D (350K) = 750K against the cap, but 1.1 million in real dollars

Smith as NHL depth forward (750K) + Heponiemi as AHL F (175K) = 750K against the cap, but 925K in real money

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No, one-way/two-way just determines if they are paid NHL salary while in the NHL, or if they have a separate, negotiated AHL salary.

What you may be thinking of is that only up to a certain amount of a contract - $1,125,000 for this season - can be buried in the minors, and anything exceeding that stays on as a caphit despite the player being in the AHL

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Looks like Detroit has finally given up on Smith…. It buys them a year of a one-way deal I guess. Pretty sure O’Regan is on a two-way deal.

More likely Detroit just needs better forwards in Grand Rapids where they struggle to score without Berggren and Czarnik. Not only did Yzerman give Smith a one-way deal, they fully expected him to take another step and he’s just not performing. Even in the AHL.

Florida gets a very cheap depth forward they may need for Cap reasons this year.
What’re they looking for him to do/be? Imo he’s a checking line forward who can fight, is he struggling be competent at that, or we’re they looking for him to score more?

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
No, one-way/two-way just determines if they are paid NHL salary while in the NHL, or if they have a separate, negotiated AHL salary.

What you may be thinking of is that only up to a certain amount of a contract - $1,125,000 for this season - can be buried in the minors, and anything exceeding that stays on as a caphit despite the player being in the AHL
That’s it, thank you.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We don’t have enough 3-ways in this league.
giphy.gif

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Well that day is today for me. Thanks for tip. Although that trick doesn’t work for Nugent Hopkins cause he still looks like he’s 15.

I’ve never tried it but don’t click on Ryan Getzlaf.

I'm not entirely sure MDZ would crack even our terrible lineup. He's just an even worse version of Shattenkirk.

I’d low key like to see a MDZ - Shattenkirk pairing in action. I think the tank would too.

Reactions: Laus723

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Charlotte, Florida's AHL team, has a surplus of D and aren't playing some of our prospects like Ludvig and Gildon due to it.

Since the big club is destroyed by injuries, we don't have many legitimate forwards with Charlotte with Tierney, Dalpe, Deni and Hepo playing in the league

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Still some time left until The Freeze
3 way trade for 4D chess players brings on the dominos?
Or Should One put the Doritos Aside and sleep?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad