Confirmed Trade: [ANA/DET/FLA] Michael Del Zotto to the Ducks, Danny O'Regan to the Red Wings, Givani Smith to the Panthers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Salaries as listed on CapFriendly:

Smith: 750K
Del Zotto: 750K / 450K
O'Regan: 750K / 450K

Detroit saves a prorated 250K in actual dollars (and arguably gets the better AHL forward). Florida gets a possible minimum salary NHL depth forward? Anaheim's AHL D has been putrid, but we'll see if Del Zotto gets an NHL look.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Detroit saves a prorated 250K in actual dollars (and arguably gets the better AHL forward). Florida gets a possible minimum salary NHL depth forward? Anaheim's AHL D has been putrid, but we'll see if Del Zotto gets an NHL look.

I'm not entirely sure MDZ would crack even our terrible lineup. He's just an even worse version of Shattenkirk.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

You mean to tell me that Florida, cap starved, just added $750k??

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
this is almost as big as the day i learned you can click on the headshots of players in hockeydb to see their pics through time
No, one is important (we can now see the evolution of Jagr's mullet and Lanny's stache) and the other one is a big fat nothing burger.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You mean to tell me that Florida, cap starved, just added $750k??

In real dollars, they added. But maybe Smith is an option as a checking line forward. They called up Zac Dalpe (750K), Aleksi Heponiemi (750K), and Grigori Denisenko (925K) recently. So maybe Smith can take one of those spots. They could save in real money by sending Heponiemi/Denisenko down and using Smith instead. But with the cap, it's nearly a wash.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Looks like Detroit has finally given up on Smith…. It buys them a year of a one-way deal I guess. Pretty sure O’Regan is on a two-way deal.

More likely Detroit just needs better forwards in Grand Rapids where they struggle to score without Berggren and Czarnik. Not only did Yzerman give Smith a one-way deal, they fully expected him to take another step and he’s just not performing. Even in the AHL.

Florida gets a very cheap depth forward they may need for Cap reasons this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad