Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] D Radko Gudas signs with the Ducks (3 years, $4M AAV)

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Lmao! Dude is rent free in your head, worst part about losing him is how hilarious it Is watching him piss off opposing fans.

He had a high ankle sprain, the whole team was injured, still we’re about to embarrass Boston.
He sure didn't look like he had a high ankle sprain with all the scrums he started and hits he attempted & failed to throw. Sounds like excuses.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He sure didn't look like he had a high ankle sprain with all the scrums he started and hits he attempted & failed to throw. Sounds like excuses.
Didn’t look like Ek had a torn oblique, dislocated shoulders, that Monty was hurt, or that Tkachuk had a broken sternum on his game winner either. Should we go over Boston’s “excuses?”

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Radko is a national treasure... His ability to infuriate other fanbases is HOF worthy. I really need to get a shirt with the pic of him yelling at the leaf goalie. Then go to Toronto and walk around.lol. 'we want Florida' clap clap clap

Last edited:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Panthers fan here for Ducks' fans interested in learning about Gudas

I RARELY post here, actually haven't in a few years probably, but the amount of disinformation in this thread made me reset my password and chime in lol.

Gudas doesnt suck. Anyone saying he does is a fan from an opposition who hates him because of how he plays and is just insulting him out of sour grapes. When Gudas was on the Lightning, he was my most hated player in the entire league after Marchand, so I understand the hate.

The reality is, he is a solid #4 defensman who is EXTREMELY physical. But most importantly for the Ducks, Gudas and Patric Hornqvist are the two players every single player and management have singled out as the two players that changed the culture in Florida.

Obviously, we were historically an awful franchise. That changed when those two were brought in.

He's probably a little overpaid, and with the way he plays, his body probably wont age well. But who cares? You're in a rebuild, and theres no better player to change the culture of losiing to one of winning than Gudas.

As far as a player goes, hes generally a solid defender who can make a good outlet pass. Once in a blue moon he will get caught trying to deliver a big hit and give up an odd man rush, but it's not that common at this stage in his career. He's probably the most physical defender in the league and will obliterate anyone that has their head down.

He's a great signing for the Ducks. We'll miss him in Florida a lot. Tough to replace what he brought. There just aren't many d men left that are that physical and can actually keep up with the pace of the game nowadays.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Panthers fan here for Ducks' fans interested in learning about Gudas

I RARELY post here, actually haven't in a few years probably, but the amount of disinformation in this thread made me reset my password and chime in lol.

Gudas doesnt suck. Anyone saying he does is a fan from an opposition who hates him because of how he plays and is just insulting him out of sour grapes. When Gudas was on the Lightning, he was my most hated player in the entire league after Marchand, so I understand the hate.

The reality is, he is a solid #4 defensman who is EXTREMELY physical. But most importantly for the Ducks, Gudas and Patric Hornqvist are the two players every single player and management have singled out as the two players that changed the culture in Florida.

Obviously, we were historically an awful franchise. That changed when those two were brought in.

He's probably a little overpaid, and with the way he plays, his body probably wont age well. But who cares? You're in a rebuild, and theres no better player to change the culture of losiing to one of winning than Gudas.

As far as a player goes, hes generally a solid defender who can make a good outlet pass. Once in a blue moon he will get caught trying to deliver a big hit and give up an odd man rush, but it's not that common at this stage in his career. He's probably the most physical defender in the league and will obliterate anyone that has their head down.

He's a great signing for the Ducks. We'll miss him in Florida a lot. Tough to replace what he brought. There just aren't many d men left that are that physical and can actually keep up with the pace of the game nowadays.
I agree with everything but I think he is clearly a 5D as opposed to a 4D.

Still a great add for a rebuilding team

Reactions: PP Subban

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
5 on a good team, 4 on a not so good team.

Even though he's older, I'd much rather have him back in Philly than that useless oaf Ristoalinen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I agree with everything but I think he is clearly a 5D as opposed to a 4D.

Still a great add for a rebuilding team

Barring any other significant additions, I sort of expect Gudas to start his Ducks tenure playing on the top pairing with Fowler at 5on5. While he obviously isn't a top pairing guy, I think he's the best fit we have to hold down the fort until our treasure chest of D prospects starts yielding top 4 ready defenders.

Fowler - Gudas are so completely opposite in their strengths and weaknesses, that I think they can make it work. Perhaps not to any level of great success but at least to tread water while the rest of the group continues to grow. Treading water would be a vast improvement over last year.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Barring any other significant additions, I sort of expect Gudas to start his Ducks tenure playing on the top pairing with Fowler at 5on5. While he obviously isn't a top pairing guy, I think he's the best fit we have to hold down the fort until our treasure chest of D prospects starts yielding top 4 ready defenders.

Fowler - Gudas are so completely opposite in their strengths and weaknesses, that I think they can make it work. Perhaps not to any level of great success but at least to tread water while the rest of the group continues to grow. Treading water would be a vast improvement over last year.

You probably won't want him playing 20+ a night. A lot of other Panther fans have already said it, he's a 4/5 guy who'll give you about 14-17min a night, all heart and physicality. He's a much smarter player than he was early in his career and we'll genuinely miss what he brought.

Reactions: Yemeth

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You probably won't want him playing 20+ a night. A lot of other Panther fans have already said it, he's a 4/5 guy who'll give you about 14-17min a night, all heart and physicality. He's a much smarter player than he was early in his career and we'll genuinely miss what he brought.

This is why I was hoping the Ducks would add a Top 4D. But not sure they will now. Really hope he is not going to be on the top pairing.

Reactions: duckpuck and Yemeth

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Expectations are that this will still be a transitional/growth year for the Ducks. If someone has to play more minutes or a larger role than they ought to be, we are better off having a hard nosed vet like Gudas take that on, rather than one of the kids. The only other RHD certain to be on the roster, is young Drysdale who missed almost all of last season to injury and really isn't a stylistic fit to play with Fowler.

They paid Gudas pretty well and I think it was with the idea that they plan to get heavy usage from him in the short term, while our bigger picture sorts itself out. Certainly going to see a ton of PK time. If he plays 5on5 with Fowler, they could manage his minutes a bit by giving some of his ozone starts to younger D.

In an ideal world, Drysdale/Lacombe and whichever other young D, show well enough on pairings two and three that we don't have to rely on Fowler - Gudas like a true number one pairing, since they aren't one.

Reactions: Rec T

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Lmao! Dude is rent free in your head, worst part about losing him is how hilarious it Is watching him piss off opposing fans.

He had a high ankle sprain, the whole team was injured, still we’re about to embarrass Boston.

Didn't think I could enjoy anything more than sour Leafs fans after we spanked them but the few Bruins fans in here are rounding into a top 3 spot for me :D.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Luke Schenn is a similar but better player - even bigger/stronger than Gudas, similarly physical, slightly better defensively, slightly better breakout passer, same age. Gudas is a better pest, plays a bit dirtier, but that’s his only significant advantage over Schenn.

Schenn is worth more IMO, but Schenn got $2.75 mil AAV, while Gudas got $4 mil AAV. Either Gudas is very overpaid, or Schenn very underpaid.

With that being said, Gudas is still a good player, a quality 4/5 D, one of the most physical dmen in the league. The Ducks have cap to burn, and the term isn’t too long, so it shouldn’t be a big deal, it’s just wild to me that he got so much more than a very similar (but slightly better) player in Schenn.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyBennettov

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think people are underrating the value of Gudas/kilorn to the young ducks roster.

Their respective contracts are as much, or more, about the leadership, example and standard they will set for the young and talented players as it is about their play.

If Zegras, Drysdake, Carlsson, Mctavish, Mintyukov, Zelleweger ect can grow as players due to these veterans, then it will be worth every single penny.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I think people are underrating the value of Gudas/kilorn to the young ducks roster.

Their respective contracts are as much, or more, about the leadership, example and standard they will set for the young and talented players as it is about their play.

If Zegras, Drysdake, Carlsson, Mctavish, Mintyukov, Zelleweger ect can grow as players due to these veterans, then it will be worth every single penny.
How dare you bring up intangibles into an HF debate! It's all about points and penalties! POINTS AND PENALTIES!!!!!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What I love about this signing is how much Florida fans love him and how much the the teams they just eliminated hate him. That’s the best compliment a player like him could have.
You won't be able to help but love him immediately. He's a nasty SOB and he'll make big hits if given the opportunity, but in the end it's all about the team for him. He's a great leader and really unites the room together. And despite his nickname being "The Butcher" on the ice, he seems like a really decent guy off it.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Luke Schenn is a similar but better player - even bigger/stronger than Gudas, similarly physical, slightly better defensively, slightly better breakout passer, same age. Gudas is a better pest, plays a bit dirtier, but that’s his only significant advantage over Schenn.

Schenn is worth more IMO, but Schenn got $2.75 mil AAV, while Gudas got $4 mil AAV. Either Gudas is very overpaid, or Schenn very underpaid.

With that being said, Gudas is still a good player, a quality 4/5 D, one of the most physical dmen in the league. The Ducks have cap to burn, and the term isn’t too long, so it shouldn’t be a big deal, it’s just wild to me that he got so much more than a very similar (but slightly better) player in Schenn.

I'm not sure Schenn is a better player. He's had a nice resurrection of his career (with a stop in Anaheim that seems to have been the key point for turning things around). He's a bottom pairing guy.

In any event, after accounting for taxes, their contracts are not that different and the Ducks need to overpay to get guys.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Gudas is a mediocre player but if he protects the prospects and they don't need the cap space he is worth it.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Gudas was a much better player for the Flyers than Schenn was. Wasn't particularly close. Gudas was a good top 4 defender in Philly. Schenn was a mediocre bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad