Post-Game Talk: An OK start

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That is completely false. Folks who are analytics driven know that 1 game doesn’t mean anything and use larger sample sizes. They are purely data driven. Those who voice opinions usually don’t have the data and are more driven by confirmation bias. It’s not fair to lump the two together
I don't think it's completely false at all. I acknowledge that some people are honest with it. But I see a lot of stats tossed around where the sample sizes seem to be completely arbitrary in an attempt to paint a picture of what they want.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If you had to choose would you rather have Barrie for the next 2 years or Puljujarvi for the foreseeable future? Or a starting goalie? Or re-signing Bouchard after next year?

It isn't complicated to figure out why trading Barrie to clear some cap space may be necessary at some point.
No, he may be at some point for sure. I actually could see it happening in the third year possibly. I was more commenting on the idea that they would do it as soon as this season. That will not happen. He just led the league in scoring for D last year, and signed here for 3 years at 4.5 per. No clauses of any kind - it's a fantastic deal. I think he's going to have another great year personally.

Reactions: Oilhawks

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Most concerning was that Barrie didn't handle the puck well at all the entire game. That's supposed to be the thing he's good at. Happened at the start of last year, too--it took him weeks to get going.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Never could something inherent in Edmonton to hate on pure Offensive D men goes way way back.

which IMO is complete BS

Yep. Plenty of Oilers fans hated on Paul Coffey. Probably the best defenseman ever to play for this franchise but at the time it was "he didn't hustle back that one time last season so he sucks."

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I thought Barrie looked a little rough too, but it didn't help that he seemed to be up against Pettersson every other shift and was getting targeted on most entries.

I agree. Personally, I thought that McDrai played a very sloppy game against Vancouver and disrespected Vancouvers top line. They gave the puck away and turned the game into a high event game of pond hockey. Barrie is great to have when hes insulated but should by no means be expected to be our last line of defence.

One thing fans take for granted is just how good Barrie is on the PP. Teams need to respect Barries shot and that causes a lane to open up for McDavid to feed Draisaitl on the one time.

Hes also so good at walking that line and keeping the puck alive in the offensive zone.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Barrie will be fine. One below average game.

Bear looking good tonight. Not great, but above average game for him.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If you had to choose would you rather have Barrie for the next 2 years or Puljujarvi for the foreseeable future? Or a starting goalie? Or re-signing Bouchard after next year?

It isn't complicated to figure out why trading Barrie to clear some cap space may be necessary at some point.
How about figuring out the next game rather than the next decade? This is why you are not a gm. GM have many scenarios mapped out for players with expiring contracts. You are better off popping popcorn watching us play the flames than to stress over the dollar figures. That is not your job to count dollar figures. You go to your TV and cheer and chill out.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Yep. Plenty of Oilers fans hated on Paul Coffey. Probably the best defenseman ever to play for this franchise but at the time it was "he didn't hustle back that one time last season so he sucks."
Pronger was the best. Coffey free wheeled because of Gretzky. Pronger controlled the blueline like no other can.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Pronger was the best. Coffey free wheeled because of Gretzky. Pronger controlled the blueline like no other can.
giphy.gif

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
On this site, Tippet was roasted because he played McDra. Most fans wanted them separated for two scoring lines.

Tippet had an interesting comment yesterday.He mentioned that he played the RNH and Hyman together because they are destined to be our number one PK unit, they will also be on the pp together. He wanted them to develop chemistry very quickly. RNH has a lot of experience playing with 97 and 29 but it was important him to get comfortable with Hyman.

While the fans here were looking at the opening day roster, Tippet was thinking about the future. This could be real important if one of McDrai misses any amount of time due to injury.

Two things I take away from this - Tippet has a complete disrespect for Vancouver as he chose not to ice the best possible lineup and we don't always know what is behind some decisions

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Most concerning was that Barrie didn't handle the puck well at all the entire game. That's supposed to be the thing he's good at. Happened at the start of last year, too--it took him weeks to get going.

Last season took him a bit to get into the groove and the bulk of bus points came in the later half of the regular season.

Being he isn't adjusting with a new team this season it shouldn't take as long for him to get going.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
How about figuring out the next game rather than the next decade? This is why you are not a gm. GM have many scenarios mapped out for players with expiring contracts. You are better off popping popcorn watching us play the flames than to stress over the dollar figures. That is not your job to count dollar figures. You go to your TV and cheer and chill out.

Not allowed to discuss contracts because I’m not the GM, got it.

May as well close 70% of the threads on this forum then.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn’t mind seeing what Ceci looks like with Nurse.

The second pairing still got a bunch of offensive zone starts, so wouldn’t hurt Barrie much. Just less minutes and playing against top lines less.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed.

I'm just not too interested in floating through the regular season and then getting crushed in the playoffs again. This has been talked about during the preseason a lot. The team needs to instill playoff habits right from Game 1.

It's a long season, most teams if any instill their playoff habits from Game 1 of the season.

If you expect playoff level performance from the Oilers or any team for that matter every game in the regular season, you're going to be in for massive disappointment because it's just not realistic. Not to mention that the Oilers have a lot of new players that need to be incorporated into their system so it'll take time to gel.

Also, when did they get "crushed" in the playoffs? I must have missed those games.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On this site, Tippet was roasted because he played McDra. Most fans wanted them separated for two scoring lines.

Tippet had an interesting comment yesterday.He mentioned that he played the RNH and Hyman together because they are destined to be our number one PK unit, they will also be on the pp together. He wanted them to develop chemistry very quickly. RNH has a lot of experience playing with 97 and 29 but it was important him to get comfortable with Hyman.

While the fans here were looking at the opening day roster, Tippet was thinking about the future. This could be real important if one of McDrai misses any amount of time due to injury.

Two things I take away from this - Tippet has a complete disrespect for Vancouver as he chose not to ice the best possible lineup and we don't always know what is behind some decisions
Been talked about, but at home with the last line change it sounds like we could see a lot of McDra. Honestly I think it's smart. Let RNH and Hyman get comfortable together. If they end up having chemistry that is going to be huge for us. Can use them as a shutdown line at home against other teams best line and on the road gives you a legit 2nd line that you aren't afraid to throw out there.

I don't think there is a coach in the league that wouldn't try this out to be honest. We have reliable guys to make a 2nd line so might as well try it, if it means being able to put two of the best players in the world together that can just simply dominant

Reactions: Mr Sakich

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I wouldn’t mind seeing what Ceci looks like with Nurse.

The second pairing still got a bunch of offensive zone starts, so wouldn’t hurt Barrie much. Just less minutes and playing against top lines less.
I like it. But I forsee this as a surefire way for Ceci to get absolutely lambasted here :DD

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree. Training camp seemed to go on forever with game after game... and now the season has started and seems to be dragging as well... waiting 4Evar for another game and it's still 34 hours away... that's close to eternity.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Typical game 1 of a new season. Some good plays, some sloppy plays and some rust. Glad to walk out with the 2pts. Let the cleaning begin and let's see a better overall game on Saturday.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's a long season, most teams if any instill their playoff habits from Game 1 of the season.

If you expect playoff level performance from the Oilers or any team for that matter every game in the regular season, you're going to be in for massive disappointment because it's just not realistic. Not to mention that the Oilers have a lot of new players that need to be incorporated into their system so it'll take time to gel.

Also, when did they get "crushed" in the playoffs? I must have missed those games.

They got swept by the Jets in 4. I get it, the games were close, but come on, that's an ass kicking.

I don't expect playoff level performance, but even the coaching staff and management in interviews has been saying that they need to be integrating playoff type habits into their game right from the outset. It's something that needs improvement right out of the gate. I was not a fan of the Keith acquisition, but at the very least I hope he can instill into this team the need to not take shortcuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad