An Islander - Habs final is inevitable

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can dominate a game and lose. It happens quite a lot in the playoffs actually. All that matters in the end is whether you won or lost. Goaltending is a part of the game and if you don't got it then you aren't gonna go far.

Who is denying this?

It's just a little weird to say "the Isles method of hockey is fun and enjoyable for neutral fans because they score lots of goals" when Jarry was absolutely terrible in round 1 giving them 21 of their 51 goals in one series.

I'm not taking anything away from the Isles by saying their play style would be horrible for the league to showcase in their Stanley Cup Finals.

If I was a fan of the Isles I would love their style of play and the fact they are winning. PIT pulled this same type of neutral zone lock on the Caps in 2017 to win the series.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Who is denying this?

It's just a little weird to say "the Isles method of hockey is fun and enjoyable for neutral fans because they score lots of goals" when Jarry was absolutely terrible in round 1 giving them 21 of their 51 goals in one series.

Anybody that watched that series knows what happened but at the same time anytime we lose at this time of year we all got our reasons but none of them really seem to matter. Injuries, poor officiating, goaltending etc we all got reasons and some of them are legit but nobody really cares except for the fans of that team that lost.

There's probably been countless teams that if they had that particular thing working for them would have won the tournament. But nobody cares because it didn't happen and some other team won and made history. Years from now we wont be harping on the goaltending from that series we will only be remembering that the Isles won.

Another reason why this thing is so hard to win. Everything has to be working on top of the great work ethic being done. Also lots of luck too. In the end nobody is really sympathetic to the teams that lose. Even if there are good reasons they lost.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Anybody that watched that series knows what happened but at the same time anytime we lose at this time of year we all got our reasons but none of them really seem to matter. Injuries, poor officiating, goaltending etc we all got reasons and some of them are legit but nobody really cares except for the fans of that team that lost.

There's probably been countless teams that if they had that particular thing working for them would have won the tournament. But nobody cares because it didn't happen and some other team won and made history. Years from now we wont be harping on the goaltending from that series we will only be remembering that the Isles won.

Another reason why this thing is so hard to win. Everything has to be working on top of the great work ethic being done. Also lots of luck too. In the end nobody is really sympathetic to the teams that lose. Even if there are good reasons they lost.

Okay? I'm not sure we are disagreeing about anything here.

I never said the Isles didn't deserve to win that series. I said the Penguins outplayed the Islanders and bad goaltending contributed to the loss.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Okay? I'm not sure we are disagreeing about anything here.

I never said the Isles didn't deserve to win that series. I said the Penguins outplayed the Islanders and bad goaltending contributed to the loss.

I wasn't really arguing with anyone just chiming in with my thoughts on that original post. So whatever argument you were having I'm not really a part of that.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
TB has run out of gas. They look different and aren't as well coached as the Isles.

Vegas doesn't have the weapons capable of putting this series away. And I expect Price to get the better of Lehner.

Isles should be favorites over Habs imo.

LOL TB was millimeters away from tying game 4. If that is TB running out of gas....

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For a few years they weren't, and that was when the skilled teams really shined.

The skilled teams pretty much always really shine. The most skilled team just won the Cup and might win it again.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
The point is the Isles are a team that can get away with taking a massive amount of penalties because the league caters to grinding, clutch and grab type teams. The Isles are routinely outshot by 10-20 and are dominated in possession most of the time as well. This should correlate to the Isles being one of the most penalized teams, not the least.
Aren't the shots in the TB-NYI series even? To the second part, if you're getting a lot of possession time by playing against the wall and getting shots from the perimeter that are clearly seen by the opponent's goalie I'd argue that possession time is hardly dominating. Why would that team get more power play opportunities? By not getting any pressure in the crease?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Aren't the shots in the TB-NYI series even? To the second part, if you're getting a lot of possession time by playing against the wall and getting shots from the perimeter that are clearly seen by the opponent's goalie I'd argue that possession time is hardly dominating. Why would that team get more power play opportunities? By not getting any pressure in the crease?
Haven’t the 3 teams so far routinely set pick plays against the Islanders with not one being called for any sort of interference or obstruction?

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
With the attitudes on display here, there must be some select posters who are furious about the Miracle on Ice. Russia clearly deserved to win- they had more talent after all. The amount of obstruction Team USA got away with was unbelievable and truly led to the demise of the sport as we knew it.

Reactions: wingnutks

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
LOL TB was millimeters away from tying game 4. If that is TB running out of gas....
I ran out of gas once in four lanes of traffic...managed to coast into the outside lane and then pull over into a gas station and had enough momentum to make it to the first pump before stopping...then realized this pump was "out of order" so had to get out and push the car to the next pump. Okay that was metres to push not millimetres...
No moral of the story exists, but even though Tampa certainly does...time and chance happaneth to us all (Ecclesiastes 9:11)...

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I like seeing stars win championships. The NHL needs to cater their product to allow their stars to have success in the playoffs, not cater their product to allow players like Matt Martin to be relevant in the NHL.

I’m rooting for Montreal though. They have a fun team.
So you're upset the 1980 USA team won gold vs superstars? Or are you only on board with your narrative when YOUR team fits the mold?

NHL, Olympic, juniors or f***ing rec league. It's the same sport. The objective is the same.

Cater to teams with only superstars but belittle 70pt players. How many f***ing superstars (in your eyes) are there? One for every team? Two? For only the large, popular markets?

All four of these teams deserve to be exactly where they are based on the opportunity that they earned. Quit focusing on the sport as a brand and appreciate it for what it is.

I'll walk out on a limb and guess you've never played the sport in any sort of organized fashion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So you're upset the 1980 USA team won gold vs superstars? Or are you only on board with your narrative when YOUR team fits the mold?

NHL, Olympic, juniors or f***ing rec league. It's the same sport. The objective is the same.

Cater to teams with only superstars but belittle 70pt players. How many f***ing superstars (in your eyes) are there? One for every team? Two? For only the large, popular markets?

All four of these teams deserve to be exactly where they are based on the opportunity that they earned. Quit focusing on the sport as a brand and appreciate it for what it is.

I'll walk out on a limb and guess you've never played the sport in any sort of organized fashion.

If the argument is would I rather watch the 80 olympics or the 87 World Cup. 87 World Cup every week.

I never said these teams don't deserve to be exactly where they are. I said the way the league refs the game levels the playing field for players like Matt Martin to impact games as much as players like Sidney Crosby which IMO is bullshit.

Funny enough, the Isles have a really good, fun top nine that when they are behind is actually really fun to watch.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
If the argument is would I rather watch the 80 olympics or the 87 World Cup. 87 World Cup every week.

I never said these teams don't deserve to be exactly where they are. I said the way the league refs the game levels the playing field for players like Matt Martin to impact games as much as players like Sidney Crosby which IMO is bullshit.

Funny enough, the Isles have a really good, fun top nine that when they are behind is actually really fun to watch.
Any player, at any given moment, can impact the game. You're bitching about Matt Martin impacting a game (or two) and comparing that same type of impact to a player like Crosby?

Do you even watch hockey or is this your first time?

Matt Martin impacts a game about as often as Crosby doesn't, lol. You're acting like Martin type players do this on command, regularly. Every year, even in big games, low tier players make an impact. It's the beauty of the sport.

If you've played, you'd understand.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Any player, at any given moment, can impact the game. You're bitching about Matt Martin impacting a game (or two) and comparing that same type of impact to a player like Crosby?

Do you even watch hockey or is this your first time?

Matt Martin impacts a game about as often as Crosby doesn't, lol. You're acting like Martin type players do this on command, regularly. Every year, even in big games, low tier players make an impact. It's the beauty of the sport.

If you've played, you'd understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad