An Islander - Habs final is inevitable

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
yes. Inferior complex. Isles fans are so focused on rationalizing why their team is in contention or why they aren’t boring.

Jarry sucked. That’s why I bring it up. The Penguins outplayed the Isles the majority of the series and lost because Jarry gave away three games. The Isles won those games fair and square. That’s the reality.
Penguins outplayed the Isles? Ok, now I understand.

Cheers mate.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
nice. So you agree. Glad we are on the same page.
Nice attempt. Not going to argue with a delusional poster.

Isles shut them down and the Pens lost the last 3 games in a row.

Boston was a tougher series.

Have a good summer!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Have a good summer!

;(. I’ve had 5 good summers in my life time as a Pens fan.

The Isles deserve to be in the CF. They are playing winning hockey. That doesn’t change the fact it is terrible for the long term outlook of the game.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
People saying that the habs only win because of Carey is not the insult they think it is..

It's not an insult. It's the truth and yes, the's part of the team so no biggie.

Habs/Isles final would be bad for the league. Good for the fans of those teams, though...since neither team has sniffed a cup in decades.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Actually calling all the penalties. I see all the time "If the refs called every infraction against McDavid the Oilers would be on the PP 40 minutes a game"

Good. Eventually teams will. learn to play cleaner. Less hooking, slashing, cross checking, and interference will benefit the league's stars and hurt the bottom 6/bottom pair guys who don't have the talent to keep up.

Allowing this anything goes style of hockey majorly works in favor of the gritty less talented, deep teams (Habs, Islanders, and even Vegas to some degree) and hurts the teams with huge portions of their cap dedicated to star players who get their offense stifled in the playoffs
The league and owners want close games.......this is how you achieve parity

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not calling obstruction.

Now I'm not saying the NHL is specifically doing this to let the Isles and Habs win, it's been a problem for years.

When they really clamped down on it - a decade or more ago? Time flies - skaters had almost unimpeded routes to chase down a puck. It led to a quicker game and I believe was a big part of the Pens/Red Wings back-to-back final appearances: They were clearly the two most skilled teams in the league those seasons.

But like any rule implementation as the months and years wore on the refs stopped calling it. I think this entire season I saw it called five times. Honestly, I've actually called out times during this year's playoffs numerous times when a d-man blocking a forward would have been called in years past.

Now a forward chasing a dump-in is routinely on the losing end of bumper cars with a forward and two d-men to get to a puck. No wonder teams with big bodies on the blue line are beating out fast, skilled forwards - the forwards can't get around them to chase the puck and deking the Weber's and Hedman's of the league is a low-percentage option.
Great post. I miss hockey in 09

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Growing the game? Habs v Islanders or VGK v Tampa Bay doubt there is juice for potential new fans.

Non fans love high scoring exciting games. You aren't gonna get casual people tuning into 1 - 0 games.

Im not saying one type of game is actually better than the other, but the truth is high scoring games are more entertaining for a majority for a majority.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Islanders are the highest scoring team in the playoffs with a very exciting forecheck.

Its about the styles not just goals. Isles and MTL both play a defense first style. The Isles score a lot on mistakes of high risk offensive teams. MTL is the opposite of that.

I am hoping for a Vegas - Isles Matchup btw. I think it will be great. Mainly MTL is the team I find the most boring left.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
;(. I’ve had 5 good summers in my life time as a Pens fan.

The Isles deserve to be in the CF. They are playing winning hockey. That doesn’t change the fact it is terrible for the long term outlook of the game.

Yea its really terrible for the game demonstrating that hockey is a 20 man team sport, not 4.

Also they have the most goals scored...

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
If there is a team doing 'obstruction' it is the Vegas. The way they got away with continuous interferences by the refs against Colorado was ridiculous. Good to see them get fed the same medicine by Montreal. Go habs!

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Its about the styles not just goals. Isles and MTL both play a defense first style. The Isles score a lot on mistakes of high risk offensive teams. MTL is the opposite of that.

I am hoping for a Vegas - Isles Matchup btw. I think it will be great. Mainly MTL is the team I find the most boring left.
I disagree.

Puck possession and not checking is not exciting nor is it an "offensive style" hockey. It's boring.

The Islanders play a fast end-to-end style game where they forecheck and finish their checks and create turnovers. An active style of game. A lot more exciting. Not defensive. Active.

Reactions: PWJunior

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

Have a good summer!

Pittsburgh absolutely dominated Game 5. Mishap from Jarry. Again, the Islanders deserved to win, but let's not pretend some things didn't happen.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
TB has run out of gas. They look different and aren't as well coached as the Isles.

Vegas doesn't have the weapons capable of putting this series away. And I expect Price to get the better of Lehner.

Isles should be favorites over Habs imo.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pittsburgh absolutely dominated Game 5. Mishap from Jarry. Again, the Islanders deserved to win, but let's not pretend some things didn't happen.

You can dominate a game and lose. It happens quite a lot in the playoffs actually. All that matters in the end is whether you won or lost. Goaltending is a part of the game and if you don't got it then you aren't gonna go far.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Puck possession and not checking is not exciting nor is it an "offensive style" hockey. It's boring.

When did I say that? I never said any of that. I think checking is very exciting especially a tenacious forecheck. But I think high shot volume and games where teams exchange scoring chances is exciting. The Isles are 12th in shots per game and play a more stingy system.

Again I think they are a great team and can be exciting. Their series have all been good but I think them playing against a team like MTL still will be boring as heck.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Is no superstars, four lines of hustle the new recipe?
I really hope so. It is so much more entertaining to watch teams like VGK, NYI, MTL than teams like Toronto and Edmonton that just rely on a couple "superstars".

Hockey is the ultimate team game and it is so much more rewarding and entertaining to watch a great team system executed well than a couple guys that can skate fast and shoot well and only score on the powerplay.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Seriously if the isles won the cup I am convinced this is all some kind of simulation designed for my benefit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->