An Islander - Habs final is inevitable

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yes. I do.
I can even go as far as Crosby with the consistent slew foot that happens 2-3x a game that he seems to magically get away with. The issue is that the refs will let certain teams/players get away with it the same way they let Lebron flop more then Kucherov does when someone looks at him the wrong way. If they crack down on that, they need to crack down on embellishment that they fail to do so. There’s a fine line that they need to toe before it turns into the first year post lockout and anything with a stick over the ankles was called as an obstruction.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can even go as far as Crosby with the consistent slew foot that happens 2-3x a game that he seems to magically get away with. The issue is that the refs will let certain teams/players get away with it the same way they let Lebron flop more then Kucherov does when someone looks at him the wrong way. If they crack down on that, they need to crack down on embellishment that they fail to do so. There’s a fine line that they need to toe before it turns into the first year post lockout and anything with a stick over the ankles was called as an obstruction.

Meh. I loved 06-10 hockey. It was cool to see the best players able to be the best players.

Also, yes. Crosby slew foots players every second he is on the ice.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I definitely would not consider Matthew Barzal a superstar. But maybe that’s the state of the league. 70 pt centers are now “superstars”.

Cue the “well it’s the system argument”. Which is my exact f***ing point…

Even if you only consider him a star and not a "superstar," the original post was naive. We've seen lots of teams win cups without the top 5 best players in the league...this isn't something new.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
all these jinx and reverse jinx threads means Covid is probably going to come back hard and they are going to have to cancel the finals

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

The Penguins got bounced and the end of the road is near......

iu

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Call penalties more regularly in regards to holding and hooking, take one person in scrums, further crack down on subtle interference.

The East in general has some of the most exciting players in the league yet every top team is playing the Trotz playbook. It is terrible.

The Lightning were the most penalized team in the regular season, the Isles third least.

The narrative that the Isles succeed with clutch, grab and trapping is false. If the NHL was consistent as you suggest, the Isles in“likelihood” should be receiving more PowerPlays than Tampa in this series

Last edited:
Reactions: wingnutks

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Call penalties more regularly in regards to holding and hooking, take one person in scrums, further crack down on subtle interference.

The East in general has some of the most exciting players in the league yet every top team is playing the Trotz playbook. It is terrible.

the league absolutely has cracked down on holding and hooking.

I remember in the 90s when the rule was you can hook them but as long as the person doing the hooking kept moving his feet then it was legal.

I don't have the evidence, but I'd guess and say there are more hooking and holding calls now than there have ever been.

As for "Trotz playbook." What does that even mean? Teams rolling 4 lines and trying to keep the opposition to the outside perimeter? What NHL coach doesn't want that?

People think the Trotz system is some sort of neutral zone trap that forces teams to dump and chase. But it just isn't. Teams skate freely into the NYI zone all the damn time. Teams keep the puck in the zone against the NYI all the time. It's one of the reasons why the Isles are routinely outshot by so much. They spend a lot of time in their own zone.

I just don't get how anyone can watch the NYI series' the last 2 years and think it's boring.

Reactions: CupHolders

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How should the NHL "Cater" to teams with star players while simultaneously keeping the product genuine and legitimate?

What about the current system is unfair to any team no longer playing? What exactly is the league doing to keep teams like the Canadiens and Islanders playing?
Actually calling all the penalties. I see all the time "If the refs called every infraction against McDavid the Oilers would be on the PP 40 minutes a game"

Good. Eventually teams will. learn to play cleaner. Less hooking, slashing, cross checking, and interference will benefit the league's stars and hurt the bottom 6/bottom pair guys who don't have the talent to keep up.

Allowing this anything goes style of hockey majorly works in favor of the gritty less talented, deep teams (Habs, Islanders, and even Vegas to some degree) and hurts the teams with huge portions of their cap dedicated to star players who get their offense stifled in the playoffs

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I definitely would not consider Matthew Barzal a superstar. But maybe that’s the state of the league. 70 pt centers are now “superstars”.

Cue the “well it’s the system argument”. Which is my exact f***ing point…
You are such sour grapes... Reading your bile has been very entertaining. Thanks.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019

Wow, this guy is a true moron! So you want hard working teams to constantly lose! What a dumbass!!!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
This poor sour LOSER, actually thinks that handing the league to only superstars is exciting, thats called the Fix! I'm sure people would watch fixed games!!!

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Oh BTW, Crosby, Malkin, & Latang are not superstars anymore so you would be considered one of the bad teams!! The Penguin's are now the Islanders Bitch!!!

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Montreal has a superstar goalie and they make great efforts up front. Isles have tremendous talent in their top 3 centremen, and they have several players who can get the puck deep.

Reactions: miscs75

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Actually calling all the penalties. I see all the time "If the refs called every infraction against McDavid the Oilers would be on the PP 40 minutes a game"

Good. Eventually teams will. learn to play cleaner. Less hooking, slashing, cross checking, and interference will benefit the league's stars and hurt the bottom 6/bottom pair guys who don't have the talent to keep up.

Allowing this anything goes style of hockey majorly works in favor of the gritty less talented, deep teams (Habs, Islanders, and even Vegas to some degree) and hurts the teams with huge portions of their cap dedicated to star players who get their offense stifled in the playoffs

Absolutely preposterous. The notion that guys like McDavid don't get calls is just pure nonsense.

The problem is, when you have guys who are as other worldly as McDavid go down, people think it must be only because something illegal happened. Guys like McDavid get calls go their way all the damn time.

This notion that the league is in favor of an "anything goes style of hockey" is absurd.

MAYBE, just MAYBE building your roster "with huge portions of their cap dedicated to star players" is the wrong way to go about building a team because it takes more than just a few players to win a championship.

Reactions: BlueMed

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
Montreal has a superstar goalie and they make great efforts up front. Isles have tremendous talent in their top 3 centremen, and they have several players who can get the puck deep.
Don't bother this guy is clueless and SOUR Pens fan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad