An Avalanche Summer in the Media 2016

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Might as well get this started again since most of our news will come via articles we dig up.

3 articles today, none in English. Note most of the Europeans' articles will not be in English.

Grigo
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sp...z-lui.php?_branch_match_id=251368932402911586

Martinsen
http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/ishockey/Martinsen-tror-pa-ny-NHL-kontrakt-731139_1.snd

Rendulic
http://khl.hr/bornatobewild-sretan-sam-sto-sam-doma/

Grigo says Roy is good at systems. Weird.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Found an Everberg article from February.

http://www.hd.se/sport/rogle/2016/02/03/everberg-hoppas-pa-nhl/
When Eversberg left the league and Rogle for gaming in North America, he signed a two-year contract with Colorado. It expires after this season.

- I do not want to play in the AHL whole life, but wants the NHL. My goal when I signed the contract was to put me in a position where I could get a new NHL contract. It is still my goal, says Eversberg.

- Then it's obvious that I raised my personal goals on the ice when it happened as it happened in the first season, but I still played more games in the NHL compared to the AHL.
What is your message to Rogle fans who hope that you turn back?

- It's not my primary goal, but I want to play in the NHL. Something else I have not thought about, says Eversberg.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I could translate Rendulic's interview when I catch some time if anyone's interested.

Was anything lost in translation on these two answers? Kind of interesting comments. Sounds like he's not expecting to stay in the NHL unless he's traded, or the Avs give him a good deal. Also the Avs told him he might be part of a big trade?

Nastavak karijere

Vidjeti ćemo, ne vjerujem da ću ostati u Coloradu, to vam mogu sad odmah reći. Nikad se ne zna, možda oni ponude dobar ugovor koji neću moći odbiti. Vidjet ćemo sljedećih par tjedana što će se dešavati. Moram nazvati svojeg kanadskog agenta, on s njima pregovara, priča, on će znati kad tad što oni očekuju, kakav ugovor imaju, onda kad to znamo možemo razmatrati opcije.

Continued career

We will see, I do not think I will stay in Colorado, that you can say right now. You never know, maybe they offer a good contract that I can not refuse. We'll see the next couple of weeks what will happen. I have to call my Canadian agent, he negotiated with them, story, he will know sooner or later what they expect, what kind of contract they have, when we know that we can discuss options.

Colorado se odlučio na promjene

Rekli su da će biti puno promjena ovo ljeto tako da me možda ubace u neki veći trade. Nikad ne znaš. Ti nisi pravi piece tradea. Da ostanem, ja bih htio probati u nekoj drugoj organizaciji, želim vidjeti. Dvije godine sam bio tamo, nisam ništa vidio, brzo je to prošlo, onda sam još prošle sezone bio ozlijeđen. Želim odigrati cijelu sezonu tamo, ući u playoff možda, iskustvo neko.

Colorado decided to change

They said it will be a lot of changes this summer so that I might be inserted into a larger trade. You never know. You're not a real piece Trade,. Should I stay, I would like to try in another organization, I want to see. For two years I was there, I did not see anything, he quickly passed it, then I still was injured last season. I want to play a whole season there, the playoffs may experience some.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Avs didn't tell him he was going to be a part of a big trade, he's just speculating that he could be because he isn't an established player, and the Avs have made it clear that they will look to shake things up. He doesn't think he has a future with the Avs, there are other teams interested in his services according to his agent.

In my opinion he isn't all that enamored with the AHL and wants a chance in the NHL, I feel like he'd rather play in Europe than to toil away in the minors.

PS
I really didn't have the time to translate it, because of the crazy pace at work, but I will in the next couple of days. Anyway I was surprised how well Google translate did a job on this, in the past it was comical.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd like to see him sign with a team like Toronto. He had a real solid year in the AHL. Especially the final two thirds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs didn't tell him he was going to be a part of a big trade, he's just speculating that he could be because he isn't an established player, and the Avs have made it clear that they will look to shake things up. He doesn't think he has a future with the Avs, there are other teams interested in his services according to his agent.

In my opinion he isn't all that enamored with the AHL and wants a chance in the NHL, I feel like he'd rather play in Europe than to toil away in the minors.

PS
I really didn't have the time to translate it, because of the crazy pace at work, but I will in the next couple of days. Anyway I was surprised how well Google translate did a job on this, in the past it was comical.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's the impression I get too. He probably wants a one way deal, a lot of guaranteed AHL money, or a trade to another organization he has a chance to make.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd like to see him sign with a team like Toronto. He had a real solid year in the AHL. Especially the final two thirds.

He still needs another half season in the AHL to take that final step. He took a big step this year, but he needs to take one more to start turning the nice moments he can make into goals for him and his team-mates.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I figured when we signed both Rendulic and Everberg that Rendulic would need to be in the NHL to continue and that Everberg would probably try to stay the course for a bit longer. Seems like that is panning out.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Long Varly interview. Where the Radulov stuff came from but a lot more here.

http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/991695/

I'll try my best to summarize.

Varly talks about getting used to playing on the larger ice. Won't really discuss the Olympics in Sochi. Going to be interesting going to World Cup and no training camp. Talks about he likes MMA, UFC a lot. Asked if he would fight then, said he's thought about it against Philadelphia once before but needs to really prepare if he's going to do it. Really liked the outdoor game, too bad they lost. Why did they have a bad season in Colorado, bad start and then lost MacKinnon and Duchene. Roy is an emotional guy but never loses it on them, tries to help them. Asked about the court case, says thankful it is over and was a nightmare, he won and now can focus on hockey. Can happen to anyone in the US with the laws they have. Talks about Grigo doing well this season, it was hard on him being on the 4th line but really started to shine when playing with MacKinnon and Duchene. If he continues that way will have a great future. Zadorov now, talks about the hit from Wilson and it even scared him (Varly) and how it was incredible he was back with them 3 days later. Very talented guy, great progress, needs to listen to Roy more. If he sticks to the system more and doesn't free style as much he (Varly) told him (Z) that he will stay in the lineup. Talks about Ovi, best shot in the league and how he tries to stop him. Washington beat Avs pretty badly, team looks great. Likes Holtby, said he had to improve mentally but has done that. Should win the Vezina or even the Hart, he would give the Hart to Kane or Ovi as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Long Varly interview. Where the Radulov stuff came from but a lot more here.

http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/991695/

I'll try my best to summarize.

Varly talks about getting used to playing on the larger ice. Won't really discuss the Olympics in Sochi. Going to be interesting going to World Cup and no training camp. Talks about he likes MMA, UFC a lot. Asked if he would fight then, said he's thought about it against Philadelphia once before but needs to really prepare if he's going to do it. Really liked the outdoor game, too bad they lost. Why did they have a bad season in Colorado, bad start and then lost MacKinnon and Duchene. Roy is an emotional guy but never loses it on them, tries to help them. Asked about the court case, says thankful it is over and was a nightmare, he won and now can focus on hockey. Can happen to anyone in the US with the laws they have. Talks about Grigo doing well this season, it was hard on him being on the 4th line but really started to shine when playing with MacKinnon and Duchene. If he continues that way will have a great future. Zadorov now, talks about the hit from Wilson and it even scared him (Varly) and how it was incredible he was back with them 3 days later. Very talented guy, great progress, needs to listen to Roy more. If he sticks to the system more and doesn't free style as much he (Varly) told him (Z) that he will stay in the lineup. Talks about Ovi, best shot in the league and how he tries to stop him. Washington beat Avs pretty badly, team looks great. Likes Holtby, said he had to improve mentally but has done that. Should win the Vezina or even the Hart, he would give the Hart to Kane or Ovi as well.

Trying to decipher the translated page but it sounds like when he plays on the larger ice surface he has to break his habit of staying in the butterfly too long, which is helpful in the NHL because teams always throw shots on net and you have to be ready, but in Europe players hold onto the puck longer and look for that perfect pass. Makes sense.

Also said he thinks Rads will really help them on the PP, where they struggled last year. Which sounds obvious, but something about it sounded like it was part of the recruitment speech Patrick probably gave him.

Cool to hear he followed Holtby really closely, and was rooting for him to break Brodeur's record. I don't know why but I always wondered if there was a bit of sour feelings that Washington essentially picked a very young Holtby over him when they traded him. Sounds like Varly's too good of a person to think that way though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs can't honestly think about having 20 new players in the organization to fill in the depth roles not only with Colorado, but top 6 selections in San Antonio. Of course I am expecting changes, but letting Rendulic and Everberg go seems a bit too wack for me. Get rid of the junk like Bordeleau, Meurs, Cheek, Clarke, Redmond, and Beaupre before letting them walk for nothing. I mean how many players are we going to bring over from the past drafts/this draft?

Compher (lock, if he's not on Avs)
Nantel (lock for Rampage)
Lindholm (looking like it might actually happen)
Boikov (possibility)
Butcher (rumours)
Mironov (rumours)

A collapse like the Rampage did cannot go unnoticed, but two locks, one strong rumour, another 50/50 with Boikov, and two weak rumours. That most definitely won't change the teams atmosphere. Also not forgetting that majority of them are rookies as well. I understand if Rendulic wants to go back to Europe for a top 6 role in SHL/Finland, but not getting the Avs if they don't qualify them. They're still solid players.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its a concern of mine too but I do expect that much change to happen. Everberg and Rendulic might get qualified to keep their rights but they'll find other opportunities in Europe. It is a concern that 3 guys just today have articles out stating how horrified they are at the thought of going back to the AHL. Now these are all guys who have been in Europe, have other options, but its interesting still.

Clark is still under contract, I don't expect Butcher and Mironov. They should sign Boikov because I don't think they have any better option at D for prospects to develop. Since they haven't dipped heavily into the college FA or CHL overager market it really is anyone's guess who they plan to fill out the entire system with. Another wave of Europeans? A bunch of AHL vets? Are they just going to get desperate and qualify everyone because they haven't found better?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not that there's a huge amount of difference between the two, but I'm much more concerned at the thought of losing Everberg than Rendulic. Borna is definitely more skilled, but Dennis is the more solid bottom sixer.

Unfortunately, they were almost done a disservice being so healthy at forward most of the season. They never really needed to call up Everberg or Rendulic, so that made both of them less optimistic about staying in NA, and also made it tougher on the Avs to give one of them a one way deal.

Maybe if there were a couple more injuries in the middle of the season, Everberg might have got a callup and established himself again. Making it possible he could earn a one way deal. As it is now, it seems tough for the Avs to grant that. They don't like to carry more than one extra forward, and Martinsen probably has the inside track.

Sucks they lost Wagner, and now could lose Borna and Everberg. They'll have to rely upon their European pro scouts again, to pull another rabbit out of the hat to replenish that depth.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I really wouldn't be too heart-broken about losing Rendulić, he just doesn't seem like an NHLer to me. And he sealed his fate with his comments. As for Everberg, he got away from the game that made him look good in his first year here, he has only himself to blame. I'd like to keep him, but he needs to be more involved in the play and more aggressive.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd like the Avs to give Everberg a 1 way contract (fully buriable though) and give him an out clause to go back to Europe if he doesn't make the team. I believe he can be an effective 4th liner/13th forward on the team, but he needs to make a good impression at camp.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Gelinas was on RDS, if anyone wants to check and see if he said anything interesting that would be great

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/eric-gelinas-dans-l-ac-3.1183609

Not much. Overall he's not a great interview.

Said he went to the media to complain that he was not playing enough and that made him appear like a bad teamate, he believes he's not, was just tired of working hard in practice and seeing AHL guys getting the icetime while he was scratched.

Discussed how he learned about the trade on deadline day.

Said NJD is great school to learn to play defense.

Said he was confused with the style of play in COL, he got passes that he did not expect and did not know what to do because COL does not dump and chase all the time like NJD.

Said Schneider is the only reason NJD had a decent record.

Was asked about the difference between living in NYC area vs Denver.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not much. Overall he's not a great interview.

Said he went to the media to complain that he was not playing enough and that made him appear like a bad teamate, he believes he's not, was just tired of working hard in practice and seeing AHL guys getting the icetime while he was scratched.

Discussed how he learned about the trade on deadline day.

Said NJD is great school to learn to play defense.

Said he was confused with the style of play in COL, he got passes that he did not expect and did not know what to do because COL does not dump and chase all the time like NJD.

Said Schneider is the only reason NJD had a decent record.

Was asked about the difference between living in NYC area vs Denver.

Great, thanks. I didn't expect much but maybe a hint about his injury or the plan for next year. What did he say about living in Denver?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Great, thanks. I didn't expect much but maybe a hint about his injury or the plan for next year. What did he say about living in Denver?

No word about the injury, must be ok. No word about next season or his role.

He said it's quieter but people are active, I guess he ment that they are sporty.

This clip is part 1 of the interview, I don't know if part 2 is available online.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad