An Apology to Mike Sullivan

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I was pro trading Hornqvist actually.

Rutherford had “nothing but success” you mean getting swept two years ago and last year losing to the lowest seed in a play in round? Yeah man, sure thing.

If Rutherford were still here this team wouldn’t exist as it is. It would not be having the success it’s having. He would have made a panic trade when they were faltering (and in fact quit because he couldn’t trade Letang).

It’s the Rutherford Paradox. He built this team and it’s doing well. He also would have tinkered and traded this team to something entirely different if he were still there. Sorry, no credit for quitting because you couldn’t get your way and multiple years of declining returns.

So you are pro Rutherford trades that worked by against Rutherford trades that didn't. Thanks Hero Hindsight.

I thought our fanbase was blaming the playoffs on Sullivan not Rutherford. I'm not sure Rutherford had much left to trade and it wouldn't have happened but I can't predict the future like you can. I personally blame the "superstars" for not showing up.

Win every year or else the "keyboard experts" will come for you!

You're just mad because you had to endure a sub par season. Not a big deal for most of us.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The last two playoffs were literally worse and worse than the previous, and not in encouraging ways. Nothing wrong with not winning the Cup every year. Getting swept in the first round and then losing the play in round to the 12 seed? That's bad. That's very bad. That's inexcusable when you have Crosby and Malkin to build around.

Further nothing about what I'm saying is "predicting the future." I know for a fact Rutherford tried to trade Letang and when he couldn't he quit. And I've seen him for near 20 years as a GM to know he will continue to tinker and trade his team. He did it almost every year he was GM, be in Carolina, Hartford or Pittsburgh. It's what he always does.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
As a coach, Sullivan is at his best when he's dealing with limited ressources/depleted team. For some reasons, he becomes a below average coach when the team is fully healthy.

When are we ever going to blame the players?

If not in a Sullivan praise thread then when?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Penguins have not lost three games in a row all season. They've lost back-to-back games just three times since the start of February and have only two stretches where they've lost three of four.

That's Sullivan's impact. He found a way to get this team to win consistently despite constant lineup changes due to injury, all while playing in likely the toughest division in the NHL.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
The sweeping statements on this board are hilarious.

Anything short of winning the Cup is unacceptable.

If you kid makes honor roll but isn't top of her class, failure? If your husband exceeds his sales quota at work but a couple other folks do better, failure?

What makes it even more ludicrous is that there is an extraordinary amount of luck involved in hockey.

People should ask themselves if they meet the standards they set for coaches in their own careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronduguayshair

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The sweeping statements on this board are hilarious.

Anything short of winning the Cup is unacceptable.

If you kid makes honor roll isn't top of her class, failure? If your husband exceeds his sales quota at work but a couple other folks do better, failure?

What makes it even more ludicrous is that there is an extraordinary amount of luck involved in hockey.

People should ask themselves if they meet the standards they set for coaches in their own careers.

Great post. Its a bunch of people who coach and manage in hindsight that guess what...are never wrong.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
It’s hard to win in pro sports. Harder to win multiple times within the span of an ‘era’ or a decade. This team has won 3 times in the current era, and Sullivan won 8 consecutive playoff series for 2 championships. With this team. Unbelievable achievement that secured the legacy of this franchise. So I have a hard time doubting this team’s ability to perform in the playoffs under Sullivan. And this team could lose again under Sullivan this year, and I still wouldn’t doubt it, because they’ve already won the Cup twice with the guy. Sometimes, another team wins. All you can do is learn from it and move on.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
To blame Rutherford when this is his roster minus Jeff Carter is asinine.

Look at his entire history. This line up wouldn’t exist. That’s not conjecture. That’s fact. It’s what he always does, turn over 1/4 of the team constantly. This is his roster but it would not be the roster we have if he were here. You don’t get credit for not sticking around, especially when you quit because you couldn’t trade Kris Letang.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
No one has said that. However being swept by the Islanders two years ago and losing to the 12 seed isn’t acceptable and goes beyond “not winning the Cup every year is unacceptable.”
Unacceptable to whom? You planning to fire Sullivan?

Owners are the ones who make that call. And ratings remain strong. So stating it's "unacceptable" is incorrect. It's merely unacceptable to you.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Couldn’t that be the players fault if everyone of the other players are excelling under the same circumstances?
That's the point.

If Malkin comes back and doesn't buy into the system, doesn't play defensively, and the powerplay stops being successful as it's been since Jared Mccain was put on it.... Then does Sullivan have the balls to stick with what as working and give Malkin a lesser role?

Or does it just turn into the Montreal series all over again? If so, then no, Sullivan is not a good coach.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
That's the point.

If Malkin comes back and doesn't buy into the system, doesn't play defensively, and the powerplay stops being successful as it's been since Jared Mccain was put on it.... Then does Sullivan have the balls to stick with what as working and give Malkin a lesser role?

Or does it just turn into the Montreal series all over again? If so, then no, Sullivan is not a good coach.
Imagine Malkin is chomping at the bit to be a part of how this team is playing now. He wants to win. I don't have any actual knowledge of the situation but just seems sensible.

Hoping we'll see M tomorrow

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Much like Shero and Bylsma, both Rutherford and Sullivan played a part in the recent playoff disappointments. The upcoming playoffs will be tough, but will also be a real opportunity for him to redeem himself. We'll see how things play out.

Reactions: Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's the point.

I mean, Malkin will never be like that so no issue.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rossi's talking about Geno in a 3Cish role for the playoffs. Wait and see on reality.

But I've very little fear on Geno buy in. I do on fitness, and the rest of the team easing off, but in Geno himself I trust.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
That's the point.

I would put Malkin Kapanen and someone else (Tanev) on his line. I would not screw up the line chemistry we got going on. We finally got a good third line and people what to break it up to placate favorite player with McCann.

I would not put him on the first power play. If it upsets him so be it. We can't worry about a players feelings at this point. It pretty obvious we should walk away from Malkin's next contract IMO so who cares?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Rossi's talking about Geno in a 3Cish role for the playoffs. Wait and see on reality.

But I've very little fear on Geno buy in. I do on fitness, and the rest of the team easing off, but in Geno himself I trust.

I'm all for lower minutes but does that mean he and the third line is playing against the other team's top line? No way they would do that. He can't win faceoffs or defend.

Maybe they employ the fourth line to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad