An Apology to Mike Sullivan

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
no, the way of Keyboard Experts is to constantly appear on a Penguins forum only to trash one single player who happens to be an excellent player but is singularly disliked by one or two posters, and then to trash the fans who like him...

But this isn’t about favorite player. That’s all you can focus on though because your a fanboy I guess. Stay focused. Or change the topic. Whatever

If I wanted to talk about favorite player I’d use the injury thread.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
That's where I'm at. But, I think another 1st round sweep and we'd have to move on from him.

A first round sweep to me means the team may need to be blown up.

I remember them mentioning during the NJ game there are only 6 remaining players from the cup years. I guess I never really realized that.

I will say this year will be a nail biter.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's the point.

If Malkin comes back and doesn't buy into the system, doesn't play defensively, and the powerplay stops being successful as it's been since Jared Mccain was put on it.... Then does Sullivan have the balls to stick with what as working and give Malkin a lesser role?

Or does it just turn into the Montreal series all over again? If so, then no, Sullivan is not a good coach.

So you and hair guy are saying it was Crosby's return last year and how Sullivan allowed it to screw up what was working is indicative of him being a bad coach and the assumption is that Malkin's return this year will screw up a Pens team on a roll like Crosby's return did last year? Or am I missing something in the conversation?

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Claims like this can't hang with a 166 IQ...

Yeah, I'm with you and @Gurglesons on this one. In Mike Sullivan's tenure, there's been one instance where Malkin returned from injury to a Pens team on a roll and one instance where Crosby returned to a Pens team on a roll. In the former instance, the Pens won the cup. In the latter instance, the Pens imploded. Clearly, some people are just assuming that because of what happened last year with Crosby, the same will happen this year with Malkin when (a) it's a baseless assumption in the abstract and (b) it's a stupid assumption given the history.

Anyway, I have full faith in Sullivan and Malkin given their history and despite Sullivan's failure in a similar situation last year with Crosby, and my only concern here remains Malkin's knee . . . if his skating isn't right, like in 2015 or later in 2018, THEN it's a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK and Andy99

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Yeah, I'm with you and @Gurglesons on this one. In Mike Sullivan's tenure, there's been one instance where Malkin returned from injury to a Pens team on a roll and one instance where Crosby returned to a Pens team on a roll. In the former instance, the Pens won the cup. In the latter instance, the Pens imploded. Clearly, some people are just assuming that because of what happened last year with Crosby, the same will happen this year with Malkin when (a) it's a baseless assumption in the abstract and (b) it's a stupid assumption given the history.

One guy made due with what was available. One guy was accommodated by way of breaking up a wildly successful line.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But this isn’t about favorite player. That’s all you can focus on though because your a fanboy I guess. Stay focused. Or change the topic. Whatever

If I wanted to talk about favorite player I’d use the injury thread.

dude, please...you come on here only for two reasons: to make negative comments about Favorite Player and to make disparaging comments about the Keyboard Experts who like Favorite Player...if you wanted to engage on here about other things Penguin, people would appreciate it much more, but your gig is up...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Anyway, I have full faith in Sullivan and Malkin given their history and despite Sullivan's failure in a similar situation last year with Crosby, and my only concern here remains Malkin's knee . . . if his skating isn't right, like in 2015 or later in 2018, THEN it's a problem.

If Malkin had a problem being stuck with shit or playing second fiddle he would've been gone in 2013 because every team in the league would've given him league max.

Malkin has one motivation and has been clear about it non-stop in his career here. Winning.

I imagine if we truly needed Geno back he could come back. At this point there is absolutely no reason to rush him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Malkin had a problem being stuck with shit or playing second fiddle he would've been gone in 2013 because every team in the league would've given him league max.

Malkin has one motivation and has been clear about it non-stop in his career here. Winning.

I imagine if we truly needed Geno back he could come back. At this point there is absolutely no reason to rush him.

Look, here are the two questions for me:

1. Who is his LW going to be? I fear Sullivan doing something Rodrigues level dumb because the McCann-Carter-Zucker line is playing decently. The smart play is McCann at L2 LW or keep that Carter line and put Blueger with Malkin and Kapanen because I think Teddy in a hybrid W/C role with Malkin could be interesting enough to work (let the playoffs start ZAR-GOAT-EROD as L4, with Tanev replacing EROD).

2. What to do with the PP? The absolute dumbest thing Sully can do is replace McCann with Malkin. McCann's shot from the left point is something the PP has been missing for ever (for as well as he shoots, Malkin never has been comfortable there). IF Malkin must replace someone on PP1, then Jake is the best call. You need to keep Rust's forechecking. BUT, truth be told, you have a situation then where Sid and Geno like to gravitate to the same spot. As I said a week or so ago, I'd run two units, with Malkin, Carter, Kapanen, Matheson, Marino on the other one. Freshest unit starts the PP (if it's a 'tie', then Sid's unit starts). First guy to change will be Geno (or Sid if Geno's unit starts).

Now, what do I see Sullivan doing?

1. At 5 on 5, I think it's going to be McCann or Rodrigues, with GOAT taking RW with Teddy and ZAR until Tanev returns. I'd heard all along McCann was ticketed for L2 LW, but I really could see Sullivan neutering what Malkin and Kapanen can do together in the name of 'balance'.

2. On the PP, I'd be stunned if someone on PP1 isn't replaced with Malkin, and my gut says it will be Rust. The more concerning thing is that IF they go split PP, Kapanen won't be on that 2nd unit with Malkin and Carter. It'll be Zucker and/or Rodrigues, which is pretty dumb.

Anyway, maybe Sullivan will suprise . . . in an ideal world, it's Teddy with Geno and Kapanen and a 2nd PP unit with Malkin, Carter, Kapanen, Matheson, Marino utilized as I outlined above.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1. Who is his LW going to be? I fear Sullivan doing something Rodrigues level dumb because the McCann-Carter-Zucker line is playing decently. The smart play is McCann at L2 LW or keep that Carter line and put Blueger with Malkin and Kapanen because I think Teddy in a hybrid W/C role with Malkin could be interesting enough to work (let the playoffs start ZAR-GOAT-EROD as L4, with Tanev replacing EROD).

2. What to do with the PP? The absolute dumbest thing Sully can do is replace McCann with Malkin. McCann's shot from the left point is something the PP has been missing for ever (for as well as he shoots, Malkin never has been comfortable there). IF Malkin must replace someone on PP1, then Jake is the best call. You need to keep Rust's forechecking. BUT, truth be told, you have a situation then where Sid and Geno like to gravitate to the same spot. As I said a week or so ago, I'd run two units, with Malkin, Carter, Kapanen, Matheson, Marino on the other one. Freshest unit starts the PP (if it's a 'tie', then Sid's unit starts). First guy to change will be Geno (or Sid if Geno's unit starts).

1. At 5 on 5, I think it's going to be McCann or Rodrigues, with GOAT taking RW with Teddy and ZAR until Tanev returns. I'd heard all along McCann was ticketed for L2 LW, but I really could see Sullivan neutering what Malkin and Kapanen can do together in the name of 'balance'.

2. On the PP, I'd be stunned if someone on PP1 isn't replaced with Malkin, and my gut says it will be Rust. The more concerning thing is that IF they go split PP, Kapanen won't be on that 2nd unit with Malkin and Carter. It'll be Zucker and/or Rodrigues, which is pretty dumb.

Anyway, maybe Sullivan will suprise . . . in an ideal world, it's Teddy with Geno and Kapanen and a 2nd PP unit with Malkin, Carter, Kapanen, Matheson, Marino utilized as I outlined above.

I don't think it matters. I think this is overthinking it. If Malkin has to play with Kapanen and Rodrigues. He'll make it work. He may be frustrated and it may lose us the series, but Malkin won't be the reason.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it matters. I think this is overthinking it. If Malkin has to play with Kapanen and Rodrigues. He'll make it work. He may be frustrated and it may lose us the series, but Malkin won't be the reason.

Yeah, I agree with that. My comment was more about that being a dumb play from Sullivan, an example of the type of thing he COULD do, in conjunction with other things, to invalidate the apology.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm just excited to see what new, interesting ways Mike Sullivan's ego can torpedo this team in the playoffs. Yeah, the stars have sucked shit lately, but Sully's insistence on not only dressing JJ and Schultz, but playing them together, and in important situations? The low hanging fruit's gone. Sully's arrogance is gonna have to work overtime to figure out how to start this team several steps back every night. May I suggest a nice bottle of "Lafferty with Geno and Kap"?

:laugh: I'm only half kidding. Maybe.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, Wilson with Malkin and Kessel was a dumb play by Sully, but Malkin made it work.

Malkin is 4 years older and, more importantly, coming off a knee injury instead of an upper body one. I get the point and I get that Sullivan might be that simplistic, but it's a much different situation than 2017.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm just excited to see what new, interesting ways Mike Sullivan's ego can torpedo this team in the playoffs. Yeah, the stars have sucked shit lately, but Sully's insistence on not only dressing JJ and Schultz, but playing them together, and in important situations? The low hanging fruit's gone. Sully's arrogance is gonna have to work overtime to figure out how to start this team several steps back every night. May I suggest a nice bottle of "Lafferty with Geno and Kap"?

:laugh: I'm only half kidding. Maybe.

Zucker's starting the playoffs on Malkin's wing. I'll put money on it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe. I'm expecting McCann-Kap or even E-Rod-Kap, but if it is Zucker, I hope he beats the odds and makes us all eat crow.

Hopefully Sullivan is coaching for his job. Because I can't see him being kept around if the Pens lose in the first round in pathetic fashion again this year. So hopefully that motivates him to try new stuff and not just stick with his stubborn idea of what the lines should be even when they're not working.

Reactions: Victor Z

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Id really like to see Tanev - Geno - Kap be that line. We shall see. But ya, it will probably be something dumb. At least Geno and Kap have shown they can drag a corpse around on the other side.

Again, Id like to see Sid and Geno split up into their own units. Give both about equal playing time. Sid and Geno have never worked well together on the PP, unless Gonch has been there to send bombs from the point and not get sucked into non stop passing between the other two. But that would require Sully to sit down and tell them both they cant have their cake and eat it too.

What you see happening is probably what will happen as well.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Imagine thinking that Sullivan's real challenge is handling Malkin's 'ego' and making sure he doesn't tip over the ship catering to Geno. That's the sense I'm getting from some people. Pathetic and exactly 180 degrees from what typically happens in that dynamic. Malkin returned from injury in 2016 and happily took a spot on the 3rd line. As a Hall of Fame player with a trophy cabinet bigger than most teams. He's sparked countless great runs on this team and did it again this year. Enough with the bullshit.

Look, Sullivan's a very good coach. That hasn't ever been in dispute except from the fringe and no one cares about the fringe. The issue is his management of the roster especially in tight playoff games and the elevation of bad/average players into roles that they shouldn't fill. Injuries have historically forced Sullivan to adjust; since 2018 he rarely proactively adjusts on his own. There's nothing to apologize for unless you personally insulted the man or his family. He's a hockey coach and for 3 years has been a primary reason for our failure in the playoffs. Let's see what he does this year.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
So favorite player people turned this thread into a favorite player thread while simultaneously bashing Sullivan.

This board is just so obsessed with the back of the jersey not the logo on the front.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
dude, please...you come on here only for two reasons: to make negative comments about Favorite Player and to make disparaging comments about the Keyboard Experts who like Favorite Player...if you wanted to engage on here about other things Penguin, people would appreciate it much more, but your gig is up...

I posted earlier about Rutherford getting the mobile defense Sullivan needed and no one replied. You only see what you want to see.

The way the world works for young people now is if they don't like someone's opinions they try to cancel them. This has happened time and time again here in one area...criticism of favorite player.

Gig is up? Put your money where your mouth is.

#71 scores two or more even strength goals the first round of the playoffs I leave the messageboard forever. If favorite player scores less than two even strength goals then you leave the messageboard forever (and I'll pretend you don't come back with a new login).

If Geno is score and the hero everyone makes him out to be this should be an easy bet. You can rid the village of the evil king.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad