Amnesty buyouts?

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
The Flyers will still owe Briere that money but it doesn't effect the salary cap. The point of the buyouts is to allow the teams to cut salary for the upcoming dip in the cap.

I was under the impression that the cap wouldn't necessarily disappear, just would decrease, giving a team more wiggle room to work around the cap.

Snotbubbles basically explained it.

Sorry for delayed response, busy at work.

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
you mean another goalie that plays in a defensive system much like Bryz did in Phoenix?

Means nothing to me honestly. I'd take Bryz again as long as the contract was better. The contract is the problem.

Give me a lateral move in net as long as it better adheres to our long term plans with this CBA.

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
I was under the impression that the cap wouldn't necessarily disappear, just would decrease, giving a team more wiggle room to work around the cap.

Snotbubbles basically explained it.

Sorry for delayed response, busy at work.

You're thinking of a regular old buyout, which existed in the old CBA, and still does in the new CBA.

The new CBA has also issued 2 compliance buyouts which teams can use in order comply with a decreased salary cap. These buyouts, while they function exactly like a regular buyout, do not effect the salary cap at all (unlike a regular buyout).

That's why each team only has 2 of them, and they can only be used this upcoming summer, or next summer, and that is it. If you don't use 1 or both of them during either of those times, they go away.

Again, it's entirely separate from the regular buyout which you are thinking of.

You can check Capgeek's new FAQ section.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba-details.php

RJ8812*

Means nothing to me honestly. I'd take Bryz again as long as the contract was better. The contract is the problem.

Give me a lateral move in net as long as it better adheres to our long term plans with this CBA.

they won't buy him out this summer. I can't see it happening. Too much money owed to him. Maybe next summer though

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
they won't buy him out this summer. I can't see it happening. Too much money owed to him. Maybe next summer though

I'm not necessarily stating when they will. Like someone said earlier, I think they will simply continue to scour the market and as soon as there is a more affordable, decent option, they may decide to do it. It may very well not be for a year and a half.

RJ8812*

I think Briere goes this summer, especially if he doesn't perform well during the season

Spongolium*

With Pronger being un-able to play, he really puts us in a bind with regards to the buyout. I presume that they will not change the rules based on buying out injured players.

Bryz's head will clearly be on the chopping block in the summer should he repeat the first half of last year again. He is going to have to play exceptionally well for the flyers to look at him again as the future of the franchise.

I've never really thought about briere being a possibly buyout. Allthough, if his defensive woes continue going into this year, with his mediocre offensive totals, I can see the flyers making the decision to let him go. 6.5 million is quite the amount to go to FA with, or be used to pay for the increases of salary to Giroux, Schenn and Couturier.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't think you buyout Briere for one reason, you can try and trade him. If the Flyers brass asked him how he felt about being traded(he would have last say in it all) or being bought out, maybe he will try to help the franchise out. I don't know if he would do this, but he would still have a say in where he shows up and we could get assets for him.

Bryz is still the main candidate for now, even if he has a good year this year, there is always next summer.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
You're thinking of a regular old buyout, which existed in the old CBA, and still does in the new CBA.

The new CBA has also issued 2 compliance buyouts which teams can use in order comply with a decreased salary cap. These buyouts, while they function exactly like a regular buyout, do not effect the salary cap at all (unlike a regular buyout).

That's why each team only has 2 of them, and they can only be used this upcoming summer, or next summer, and that is it. If you don't use 1 or both of them during either of those times, they go away.

Again, it's entirely separate from the regular buyout which you are thinking of.

You can check Capgeek's new FAQ section.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba-details.php

Has it been stated anywhere if NMCs and NTCs still are in effect? I've searched around and haven't found anything. I'm guessing "no" otherwise people wouldn't be discussing Briere or Bryz.

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
I think Briere goes this summer, especially if he doesn't perform well during the season

I'm starting to think he might too...

With Pronger being un-able to play, he really puts us in a bind with regards to the buyout. I presume that they will not change the rules based on buying out injured players.

Correct, it's already been confirmed you cannot buyout injured players. (To be fair, this was the case last CBA too and it still happened on the rare occasion (Drury, Cloutier, and Tanabe). That's not to say I think they will be able to buyout Pronger...I don't.)

I don't think you buyout Briere for one reason, you can try and trade him. If the Flyers brass asked him how he felt about being traded(he would have last say in it all) or being bought out, maybe he will try to help the franchise out. I don't know if he would do this, but he would still have a say in where he shows up and we could get assets for him.

Bryz is still the main candidate for now, even if he has a good year this year, there is always next summer.

Definitely a possibility if Danny is amiable to a trade. His cap hit is also higher than his salary so he would help poor teams reach the floor.

Has it been stated anywhere if NMCs and NTCs still are in effect? I've searched around and haven't found anything. I'm guessing "no" otherwise people wouldn't be discussing Briere or Bryz.

They still exist, however neither a NMC or NTC would prevent a buyout (be it compliance or otherwise) anyway.

In fact, players are now allowed to have NMC or NTC kick in immediately upon signing an extension (thank you to Mike Richards and Jeff Carter for that one).

RJ8812*

thye have no effect on buy-outs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad