Amnesty buyouts?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I would be very surprised to see Bryz being bought out, unless he is worse than this year. Same for Briere. I don't think anyone will be bought out, in fact.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
id like to see the flyers acquire a pick for a player they can buy out. take advantage of some of that cash while they can. pronger is ineligible and hes really the only candidate other than bryz. briere would be too valuable in a trade to a low salary team.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
The buyouts last this summer and next. So we can hold on to one if we need to permanently send Bryz off to his moonbase. That gives him plenty of time.

Starcom-Starbase-Command_1352487117.jpg

That's my moonbase, I loves the open roof concept, and the zero G stripper pole

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
I would be very surprised to see Bryz being bought out, unless he is worse than this year. Same for Briere. I don't think anyone will be bought out, in fact.

sweet jesus, that's even possible??

i say buyout bryz no matter what. even if he bounces back, his contract is still terrible.

obviously we need a replacement, but we can cross that bridge when we get there

...and i dont see danny getting bought out...hes been too good and too clutch to get that kind of treatment from the organization imo. he's earned his money in my book

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You don't have to use them (do you?). I think Bryz gets bought out, if anyone. Otherwise I don't see the Flyers buying out a guy like Briere. Yes he is overpaid at this point, but he is still a big part of the team and with only two years to go after this one, I think he sticks around.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
With the 2nd year cap coming up almost 5M I think the NEED to buyout Briere diminishes... which more than likely means Homer will be loyal and not do it to him.

I like the one poster's suggestion of trying to "buy" draft picks by taking on other team's buyout candidates, though I'm not sure what teams would really be in the market for this. You'd either need a team with more than 2 buyout needs (maybe Montreal?) or a team with a buyout need without the capital (NYI maybe?).

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
...and i dont see danny getting bought out...hes been too good and too clutch to get that kind of treatment from the organization imo. he's earned his money in my book

hopefully the organization doesn't see it that way. his last couple years he's only making like 5 mil total so it's not like he'd be missing out on a bunch. his 6.5 mil cap hit on the other hand is killer especially considering the Flyers will need to re-sign Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Read and Kimmo (if he doesn't retire) all before his contract expires. lets not forget the cap will be going down to ~64 mil next year. and if they actually buy out bryz as you suggest they'd also need to find a starting goaltender. i just don't see how its possible without using that 6.5 mil elsewhere.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I think Bryzgalov should be amnestied at some point regardless of how well he plays. 5.6 mill for the next 8 years is too much resources to invest in any goalie except an elite one which I think we can all agree Bryz isn't. If they have a chance to get out of this contract before it starts to REALLY hurt in 4-5 years I think they should take it.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Flyers won't need any buy outs as they have just 57.5m with no relevant players but Timonen gone or unsigned. Plenty of space to fit a back up to Bryz, play Laughton sign another D.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
2014-2015

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($7.250m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.125m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
3rd Line LW ($2.000m) / Sean Couturier ($2.250m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.900m) / 4th Line C ($1.100m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.700m)
13th Forward ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
6th Defender ($0.900m) / Top Pairing D (6.300m)
7th Defender ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Backup ($0.900m)

is $63,467,667m

I posted this in a different thread.

I don't care to argue about how much each player is signed for and who will still be on the team. Feel free to move money around any way you'd like. The point is, if we DON"T buy out Briere, we can't afford to resign our young guys. As much as I love him as a player and appreciate everything he's done for us... strictly from a business perspective... Briere has to go.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I doubt Briere gets bought out, he's money come playoff time, Bryz on the other hand that contract is going to suck in like 3-4 years especially because Bryz hasn't earned it at all

ayshplaysh

Jul 2, 2011
So we can hang on to Bryz this season and next season, then buy him out? If we can I'd do that, put the goalie problem off for two years.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Well, Bryz should definitely be given a thorough but fair look at this season, although if Pronger could be bought out I'd choose him first. I don't like Danny Boy, so he'd definitely be on my list of buyouts. But if he really does provide good leadership, I might give him a pass, even though his on ice play doesn't warrant his cap hit. Hopefully we won't have to buy anyone out, though.

heyeaglefn

Jun 30, 2011

The Flyers will be really up against the cap next year if they don't amnesty someone. What is your plan to give Giroux the long term contract and find Kimmo's replacement with no money?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers will be really up against the cap next year if they don't amnesty someone. What is your plan to give Giroux the long term contract and find Kimmo's replacement with no money?

What's the cap set for next year? Unless I'm missing something, after next year Flyers will be at like $54M (if Kimmo retires and with Pronger on LTIR). Giroux is signed through next year, too. What's your concern?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
So we can hang on to Bryz this season and next season, then buy him out? If we can I'd do that, put the goalie problem off for two years.

I like this approach. The problem with buying out Bryz is that there is no replacement. We will be back to having players like Boucher and Leighton, and we know for certain that doesn't work. If the team could get a player like Bernier or Harding, someone to build around, then buy him out. But if you can't get one of those guys, then we are going back to the signing of old, past their prime goalies like we did with Beezer and Burke or using unproven goalies like Esche, Niittymaki, and Biron.

RJ8812*

I like this approach. The problem with buying out Bryz is that there is no replacement. We will be back to having players like Boucher and Leighton, and we know for certain that doesn't work. If the team could get a player like Bernier or Harding, someone to build around, then buy him out. But if you can't get one of those guys, then we are going back to the signing of old, past their prime goalies like we did with Beezer and Burke or using unproven goalies like Esche, Niittymaki, and Biron.

Harding's career may be over, no? Wasn't he diagnosed with MS?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Harding's career may be over, no? Wasn't he diagnosed with MS?

Career not over, but at best, he has to be considered a year to year option at this point. No telling how the MS progresses. Clearly he is already seeing some symptoms if he we went to get it diagnosed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad