Amnesty buyouts?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The Flyers will be really up against the cap next year if they don't amnesty someone. What is your plan to give Giroux the long term contract and find Kimmo's replacement with no money?
a bigger issue than having the cap space is having a player to sign.

With the new contract limits there isnt likely to be that level of player available in ufa.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The key will be whether or not Danny Briere agrees to be traded after the season. He's only due $5M total over the last two years of his contract. Could be get more if he rolled the dice and forced the Flyers to amnesty him, especially since he gets 2/3 of the money anyways?

Last edited:

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I've said it once and I'll say it again, I don't see them getting rid of Briere. Dude's mentoring the young kids and is the definition of clutch in the playoffs. He has settled in here and is gearing himself towards a role with the organization upon retirement. He ain't going anywhere.

70 this year, 63 or 64 and change next.

That's what I thought, thanks. What's the worry then?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The Flyers will be really up against the cap next year if they don't amnesty someone. What is your plan to give Giroux the long term contract and find Kimmo's replacement with no money?

There is no adequate Kimmo replacement available in free agency, not even at 8M per cap hit. So, they have to trade and send a contract back anyway.

They have enough wiggle room to sort this all out. Of course, Bryz will be given a close look.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Since Briere is only making 5 mil over last 2 seasons, it would make most sense to buy him out just to resign him which would drop his cap hit significantly while still making the same money he was scheduled to make on original contract.

Unless there is some sort of rule on a bought out player not being able to resign with the team that bought him out. It would essentially be the same as restructuring his contract.

RJ8812*

Since Briere is only making 5 mil over last 2 seasons, it would make most sense to buy him out just to resign him which would drop his cap hit significantly while still making the same money he was scheduled to make on original contract.

Unless there is some sort of rule on a bought out player not being able to resign with the team that bought him out. It would essentially be the same as restructuring his contract.

you can't. once a player is bought out, he can't play for your team the following season

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I was all about buying out Briere and restructuring his deal. I didn't realize you can't do that. That is going to be an extremely tough decision. I feel you have to keep him. Although his regular season numbers leave you wanting more, the guy is the most dominant playoff performer in the league. He also plays a huge role in developing the younger players. That cannot be overlooked. I believe the Flyers have too much loyalty towards him and trading him would hurt our chances at a cup. He stays.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
I like this approach. The problem with buying out Bryz is that there is no replacement. We will be back to having players like Boucher and Leighton, and we know for certain that doesn't work. If the team could get a player like Bernier or Harding, someone to build around, then buy him out. But if you can't get one of those guys, then we are going back to the signing of old, past their prime goalies like we did with Beezer and Burke or using unproven goalies like Esche, Niittymaki, and Biron.

You talk like Bryz is a better option. The guy is a mental head case and Leighton at
.900 is 1,000,000 better then Bryz at 5.6 Million for 8 more years. Bryz will be bought out, that I guarentee no matter how he plays this season. There is no way the Flyers keep this guy for 8 more year at 5.6 million because even if he has a stellar year this year he could just as easily go back to regular Bryz (which is the more likely senario).

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
You talk like Bryz is a better option. The guy is a mental head case and Leighton at
.900 is 1,000,000 better then Bryz at 5.6 Million for 8 more years. Bryz will be bought out, that I guarentee no matter how he plays this season. There is no way the Flyers keep this guy for 8 more year at 5.6 million because even if he has a stellar year this year he could just as easily go back to regular Bryz (which is the more likely senario).

I don't want to see Michael Leighton be named starter ever again for the Flyers

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers may amnesty Bryz, but it sure as hell won't be in favor of Michael Leighton. I mean, seriously.

I was all about buying out Briere and restructuring his deal. I didn't realize you can't do that. That is going to be an extremely tough decision. I feel you have to keep him. Although his regular season numbers leave you wanting more, the guy is the most dominant playoff performer in the league. He also plays a huge role in developing the younger players. That cannot be overlooked. I believe the Flyers have too much loyalty towards him and trading him would hurt our chances at a cup. He stays.

Might need a reminder what Simon Gagne has been doing the last two years. Forcing him to either accept a trade or be claimed by the Oilers doesn't exactly reek of loyalty. Worked out for him though.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I don't want to see Michael Leighton be named starter ever again for the Flyers

thicon_lol.gif
thicon_lol.gif
thicon_lol.gif

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
So... say Pronger stays on LITR through next season and Bryz performs well... who do the Flyers use these buyouts on? Even the smaller contracts that you would use them on (like Matt Walker) are done after this season.

Can the Flyers trade pennies for another team's trash and treasure, then buyout the trash?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The Flyers may amnesty Bryz, but it sure as hell won't be in favor of Michael Leighton. I mean, seriously.

Might need a reminder what Simon Gagne has been doing the last two years. Forcing him to either accept a trade or be claimed by the Oilers doesn't exactly reek of loyalty. Worked out for him though.

Gagne was also injury prone for his last several years so it's a bit different. Point understood though.

toughfighter83*

i would only amnesty bryz if there's something else better out there and if they have a trade plan because the goalies in the minor leagues are crap and if they get rid of bryz and cant get another goalie and rely on phantom goalies then this team is going to have a major problem.

get rid of him if you have a plan by trade or fa.

Fresh34

Jun 25, 2012
PA
There really aren't any good enough goalies out there this summer in the FA pool. Backstrom and Jimmy Howard are the only ones that really pop out to me.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Bryz, maybe not this summer, but definitely next summer, he'd have to have vezina worthy seasons to think about that cap hit for that long.

Rolex

Jan 25, 2005
The key will be whether or not Danny Briere agrees to be traded after the season. He's only due $5M total over the last two years of his contract. Could be get more if he rolled the dice and forced the Flyers to amnesty him, especially since he gets 2/3 of the money anyways?
The bigger thing with DB might be playing time. If he sees himself buried as the 3rd or 4th line center, he might want to move his career along to anther club.

RJ8812*

Gagne is a shell of his former self and will probably never be able to play a full season ever again. Keeping Gagne would have hurt this team cap wise. Homer made the right move in trading him, but ya, we did get dick all for him.

I'm happy that the guy won a cup, but it's not like LA even needed him for their run.

Besides, Gagne is one of the most over rated players in Flyers history. He was a solid two-way player, no doubt, but the way so many people would talk about how "clutch" he was, was pretty comical. In his entire playoff career, he's had 2 great series: '04 vs TB, '10 vs. BOS. Other than those 2 series, he was pretty invisible

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Gagne is a shell of his former self and will probably never be able to play a full season ever again. Keeping Gagne would have hurt this team cap wise. Homer made the right move in trading him, but ya, we did get dick all for him.

I'm happy that the guy won a cup, but it's not like LA even needed him for their run.

Besides, Gagne is one of the most over rated players in Flyers history. He was a solid two-way player, no doubt, but the way so many people would talk about how "clutch" he was, was pretty comical. In his entire playoff career, he's had 2 great series: '04 vs TB, '10 vs. BOS. Other than those 2 series, he was pretty invisible

And yet those are the 2 best playoff series I can recall in recent memory? He had a knack for scoring when we needed him most.

Juicy Couturier*

So... say Pronger stays on LITR through next season and Bryz performs well... who do the Flyers use these buyouts on? Even the smaller contracts that you would use them on (like Matt Walker) are done after this season.

Can the Flyers trade pennies for another team's trash and treasure, then buyout the trash?

Voracek and a 1st for Gomez and Price? I'm in!

Buyout Bryz and Gomez and problem solved.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Voracek and a 1st for Gomez and Price? I'm in!

Buyout Bryz and Gomez and problem solved.

Why in the world does Montreal do that trade? They can simply just buy out Gomez themselves.

They lose their young franchise goaltender for Voracek and a 1st. That's just not enough value for them considering what it leaves them in net.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Problem is not next year but the following when Giroux, Couturier, Schenn and Read need to be re-signed. The cap wont be going up like it was before. It wouldnt surprise me if the cap doesn't really move much for the next couple years which makes things much worse.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I've said it once and I'll say it again, I don't see them getting rid of Briere. Dude's mentoring the young kids and is the definition of clutch in the playoffs. He has settled in here and is gearing himself towards a role with the organization upon retirement. He ain't going anywhere.

All that stuff is good but not worth 6.5 mil on a declining player that is injury prone, currently injured, and got 16 goals last year. I know he scored a lot of big goals in the playoffs but at least last year he was minus which matters in that kind of discussion. He is the right move. Get his plus timo salary and poss bryz off the books and get some better replacements for at least briere and poss bryz. Best time ever to trade for a goalie as everyone's got one and a lot have two that could be starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad