American Thanksgiving Nonsense

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
The 11 of 16 number is a bit misleading because if you're looking at points percentage(winning %), Colorado, San Jose, Boston would all be in. The teams that were "in" who missed seem to be STL, CGY, and NYI.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
people were delusional to think the oilers even had a chance of the playoffs after the way they started the season. they were doomed since.
Of course they had a chance. They were primed leading into the new year and shit the bed all over the place. Obviously they didn't get in, but there was plenty of opportunities for it to happen and the team caved in. As someone else pointed out, over a third of the teams that were apparently "out of contention for the playoffs" at Thanksgiving wound up making it anyways.

I will most certainly eat crow on account of the Oilers. They shit the bed as hard as possible and I was wrong. But the whole "if you aren't in a playoff spot by early November then you won't make it" is still a bunch of nonsense. Philly, Minny,Anaheim, SJ, Colorado. All on the fringe, all bumped teams out to get in.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Of course they had a chance. They were primed leading into the new year and **** the bed all over the place. Obviously they didn't get in, but there was plenty of opportunities for it to happen and the team caved in. As someone else pointed out, over a third of the teams that were apparently "out of contention for the playoffs" at Thanksgiving wound up making it anyways.

I will most certainly eat crow on account of the Oilers. They **** the bed as hard as possible and I was wrong. But the whole "if you aren't in a playoff spot by early November then you won't make it" is still a bunch of nonsense, as proven this year.

Not nonsense if you think of it for what it is... a general guideline...

It's not a hard and fast Rule.

It's simply the earliest part of the season you can make a somewhat of an accurate read of how the teams are going to fall into place. The sample size of games is at a reasonable point to give a read of their strengths and weaknesses and see what we got.

Simple.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
people were delusional to think the oilers even had a chance of the playoffs after the way they started the season. they were doomed since.
yeeeah because teams that have bad starts have NEVER turned their season around and made the playoffs. OK sure.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not nonsense if you think of it for what it is... a general guideline...

It's not a hard and fast Rule.

It's simply the earliest part of the season you can make a somewhat of an accurate read of how the teams are going to fall into place. The sample size of games is at a reasonable point to give a read of their strengths and weaknesses and see what we got.

Simple.

all it really is meant to do is give people an idea of just how hard it is to make up ground in the NHL.

basically, never look at the standings and think "we are only 6 points out". you have to take your points, and games remaining, and figure out how many points you need to get about 95 points. then look at that pts% and determine just how good that is. when you start to see pts% of .650 or up, youre in big trouble.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Of course they had a chance. They were primed leading into the new year and **** the bed all over the place. Obviously they didn't get in, but there was plenty of opportunities for it to happen and the team caved in. As someone else pointed out, over a third of the teams that were apparently "out of contention for the playoffs" at Thanksgiving wound up making it anyways.

I will most certainly eat crow on account of the Oilers. They **** the bed as hard as possible and I was wrong. But the whole "if you aren't in a playoff spot by early November then you won't make it" is still a bunch of nonsense. Philly, Minny,Anaheim, SJ, Colorado. All on the fringe, all bumped teams out to get in.
all those teams you listed weren't that far from a playoff spot iirc. edmonton was. its not just about how many points you are behind, its also about how many teams are ahead of you.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
all those teams you listed weren't that far from a playoff spot iirc. edmonton was. its not just about how many points you are behind, its also about how many teams are ahead of you.
Edmonton was 5 points back with games in hand. That's not at all insurmountable. Philly was back the same. Florida was out by just as many and missed on what the very last day of the season? Minny and Colorado were out by about 4 points.

Was I overzealous when I posted this? Yes. Did I,and do I still firmly believe that they could have made it like several other teams could have or did? Of course. The only reason I even started the thread is because the season was about 5 weeks old and people everywhere were talking "in a playoff spot" and "their season is over". Which was utterly ridiculous. The season runs for 7 months, and people are gonna sit there after five weeks and talk playoffs? Load of crap.

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Edmonton was 5 points back with games in hand. That's not at all insurmountable.
and they missed the playoffs even then. considering about 75 percent of teams in a playoff spot by thanksgiving make it to the second season, it would have been hard for the oilers to have done so

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Florida shot a pretty big hole in this theory too ... heck they were OUT of it at what? Valentine's Day? Still only ended up missing by a hair. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Not at all. A larger portion of teams in playoff position did make the playoffs, which is the point.

It's an early predictor. Not set in stone. The biggest problem is assuming it's disproved just because there are outliers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad