American Thanksgiving Nonsense

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So lots of movement after American Thanksgiving.

37.5% of teams that weren’t in on American Thanksgiving made it

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
What about Detroit? It looks like they were in third place (playoff position) and they didn't end up there.
by a point, with 2 games in hand over Boston, in a horrible division.
not much of a nosedive needed there...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What happened in St. Louis? Seemed they were in the race and then traded Stastny.

I think it was a case they looked at their prospects even if they made the playoffs and calculated they needed to get something of value out of this season after trading 2 1sts for Schenn

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Other than STL, were any of the teams that jumped in or fell out of the playoffs more than 2 points away?

And damn that sucks for STL.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This thread may stay open only if it's not used to rip on the thread starter (we still do not allow flaming of other posters here). If you want to talk about the topic itself as resurrected, please do so.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And it took 4 of the 6 - Col, SJ, Phi, and Bos - some crazy runs to help them move into a spot. I can't remember if Minni and Anaheim did as well or not.

MN didn't have any crazy runs this year. A 5 game win streak, a couple of 4 game win streaks. The longest losing streak was 3 games; it happened once and was before Thanksgiving. Colye, Granny, Nino, and Parise all being injured at the same time early in the season set them back a little.

Around the middle of January the max standing points they could have gotten was 126. Tied with Chicago for last in the Central, but it was a very tight race (4 teams within 1p). They just plodded their way into the Playoffs using the old Detroit model of 6p for every 5 games (lots of win 3, lose 2 hockey). I don't think they've iced an ideal lineup more than 3 games this year.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Wow, looking at the standings from American Thanksgiving and it's crazy to see how few times the top teams have lost outright since then. The Preds only lost in regulation a dozen times since then.

Reactions: Gnashville

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Lol guess Thanskgiving was still a good predictor of the Hawks' playoff hopes...

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Above someone posted that 11 of 16 (68.75%) made it that were in by US Thanksgiving. That's below the long term trend, but you're going to have some season to season variation. So 5 of 15 teams that were out made it by the end of the season instead of the usual 3 to 4.

Anyway the Oil was out by US Thanksgiving and they were at the end of the season.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Now that the Oilers are back in the thick of things with plenty of divisional games left to play, can we put to rest for next year this season long 'playoff race' talk and how American Thanksgiving is the point in which 50% of you counted a team in or out of the hunt. It's bloody nonsense, the race begins after Christmas, I don't care what stupid stats say otherwise. Exciting times, Go Oilers!

It has nothing to do with American gluttony day. It’s always a good indicator at the 1/3 mark (approximately) of the season to see which way a team is headed - the playoffs or the golf course.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Florida shot a pretty big hole in this theory too ... heck they were OUT of it at what? Valentine's Day? Still only ended up missing by a hair. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think Florida shot a pretty big hole in this theory too ... heck they were OUT of it at what? Valentine's Day? Still only ended up missing by a hair. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

No, they didn’t. The amount of teams that fell out and got in after Thanksgiving is right in line with the average given natural variation. No single team can blow a hole in the stat that the majority of the teams remain the same.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It's amazing to me that Vancouver was ever in a playoff position this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad