American Thanksgiving Nonsense

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Now that the Oilers are back in the thick of things with plenty of divisional games left to play, can we put to rest for next year this season long 'playoff race' talk and how American Thanksgiving is the point in which 50% of you counted a team in or out of the hunt. It's bloody nonsense, the race begins after Christmas, I don't care what stupid stats say otherwise. Exciting times, Go Oilers!

So essentially, you started a thread hoping to avoid intelligent discussion?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Its percentage based, not written in stone.

Since 2011, 78% of teams in a PO spot on Amercan Thanksgiving went on to make the playoffs. The date itself is roughly the quarter mark of the season, which is about the time one can start to get a handle on what is a flukey start to the season or a trend.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its possible for them to make it, but there are still some good teams on the outside lookin in, still a long way to go.

Also in your little stretch where you guys made up some ground, wasn't exactly a tough schedule... you played montreal 2x, and san jose/Calgary teams that you guys generally do well against, lost to leafs, flyers, Nashville, 2 good wins vs Columbus and blues. I think its a little premature and maybe ill rejudge them after the next stretch of games(8 games which will impact their seasons/chances greatly)

Winnipeg 2x
Chicago 2x
Kings
Ducks
Preds
Stars

After that it looks like the league gave you the rest of January off, glancing at oilers schedule you guys seem to have a pretty tough 1 the rest of the way, with exception of last 2 weeks of January. Oil have only played 1 game vs the California teams

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lol i dont understand how Oilers fans are getting so cocky after a couple wins. You guys are 24th after telling everyone you guys are cup contenders might want to calm down. Never change Edmonton

Reactions: Still Mighty

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Severely doubt that this person is an Oilers fan tbh.
"Exciting times, Go Oilers!" No-one talks like this seriously.
Just started posting one year after join date? lol.

Lol i dont understand how Oilers fans are getting so cocky after a couple wins. You guys are 24th after telling everyone you guys are cup contenders might want to calm down. Never change Edmonton

Epic comment man. Hopefully you have a team in a couple of years so we can get more free wins.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Now that the Oilers are back in the thick of things with plenty of divisional games left to play, can we put to rest for next year this season long 'playoff race' talk and how American Thanksgiving is the point in which 50% of you counted a team in or out of the hunt. It's bloody nonsense, the race begins after Christmas, I don't care what stupid stats say otherwise. Exciting times, Go Oilers!

Statitistic I don't agree with = nonsense!

Not sure if you understand statistics. From a life skill perspective, that is probably a good place to start!

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Just for argument's sake, lets say 90-100% of top 4-5 teams make it. Meaning, the teams just holding on to a wildcard spot have probably around a 50-60% chance, equalling out to about 80% of teams.. That's why I think this stat is skewed like so many other stats. You're grouping together the elite teams with the teams that just happen to be 1 point above the playoff line.

Its percentage based, not written in stone.

Since 2011, 78% of teams in a PO spot on Amercan Thanksgiving went on to make the playoffs. The date itself is roughly the quarter mark of the season, which is about the time one can start to get a handle on what is a flukey start to the season or a trend.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
A jinx thread, haha. Because anything said on these boards has any sort of bearing on what really happens in the NHL right? They're making the playoffs, and everyone that had them out of 'the race' on November 11th will mysteriously vanish or jump back on the wagon.

Again, they're going to make it.
They would have a spot already most likely if they didn' sscore on themselves against the Leafs and could score in TO, but that could also be said for other teams.

A lot of bad luck, injuries, unsustainable low numbers are coming back to the mean. They have pretty much dominated the last 13-14 games. You see one team is much better than the other.

Talbot looking good again. Calgary went on a ten gane win streak last year to get in. The oil will be ahead of then sooner than later.

I can't see this team fall into a lull after watching them once Todd put the C's on separate lines.

They are making it. Like the guy said above, it' a statistical based, but you can't quantify chemistry and the swagger the oil have. Playing at a 0.700 level with everybody contributing.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
This post is nonsense not Thanksgiving.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's just so frustratingly hard to make up points if you start slow. Last night Pens win in regulation but Canes lose in OT but still gain on the Isles and Rangers.

This happens every night sometimes two of three times.

You can't just hope teams in front of you slump, you have to hope they stop getting points during the 'slump'.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
people were delusional to think the oilers even had a chance of the playoffs after the way they started the season. they were doomed since.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It took a week to go from "the Thanksgiving rule is BS, the Oilers are going to the playoffs" to "oh wow the Oilers are truly awful". This is peak HFBoards.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that they are probably right in the middle of those two expectations.......

......it's the fan boys on both sides that create the huge swings.

I was more trying to point out that, while not always perfect, stats can be a very good predictor. There is a reason that this stat comes up every year and it's because it's pretty accurate.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yeah making up 10 points in half a season is extremely tough. WC2 is currently on pace for 92 points - to hit 93 points the Oilers would need to go something like 25-11-6 for the rest of the season.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Its near impossible to gain ground. The Stars just went 12-6-2 over 20 games and only gained a point on the Jets. It's looking bleak for the Oilers.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ignoring the Oilers aspect of this thread...

How did the American Thanksgiving marker do this year?

Of the 16 teams in the playoffs at thanksgiving, how many made it this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad