American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Posts like that Instagram are silly, but very common now. It used to just be on HF where people were pretending to be global youth hockey scouts. Now it's even more common on Instagram and Twitter.

There's nothing wrong with tracking names to watch. Completely reasonable and worthwhile. We do it on this thread. But to pretend you're scouting 14 year olds all across the country is absurd. Ranking them even more absurd. This account's comments on their post are nonsensical:

there are thousands of AAA defensemen who are very good
  • No, that's not even true on a global level, let alone in the US as claimed
we have watched at least film on every single one of these players and have gotten scoutary (sic) reports and have watched most of these kids play in person. We are based in New England
  • Highly doubtful but let's play along
right now there won't be any games with Gentry playing. Next season watch them [Minnesota based] at their home rink or look at their schedule online and go to the location
  • Ok so obviously no one is watching anyone right now but they're implying they catch in person games in Minnesota or when those select travel teams are elsewhere
The 2005 age group is by far the most talented age group I have ever seen
  • Bold unless it's the only age group they've ever seen. But I guess since they've scouted everyone coast-to-coast they're well positioned to make said claim
we don't scout much of Minnesota but did see a couple players
  • Scouts everyone, except the players in the state where hockey is most popular. Seems logical
  • Guess they're not going to Gentry games after all
  • Still ranked Minnesota players nonetheless
Nevermind the "prediction" makes no sense. It's a Select 15 Camp prediction. But of what exactly? The camp is far larger than that...

Last edited:

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Question for the board. How do you see all these kids play? Live? TV? Internet? I would love to see more high end youth hockey but living in Cleveland restricts who I see. Do you folks who know about all these up and comers all live in MI or MN?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Question for the board. How do you see all these kids play? Live? TV? Internet? I would love to see more high end youth hockey but living in Cleveland restricts who I see. Do you folks who know about all these up and comers all live in MI or MN?
watching them all live is basically an expensive full-time job, but if you happen to live in michigan near the ntdp, you could see many of the top players when the ntdp plays a good ushl team, and then you could watch local youth hockey and tournaments.

speaking personally, I travelled around the country for a few years, now that there is video in basically every rink and at a better quality, I mostly do video. I also try to go to big tournaments near me. if you are lucky then a tournament near you will be big enough that it brings together many top teams from all over the country. that type of thing covers a lot of bases as far as live viewings go. I've found a lot of people who don't work in the sport but actually know a lot about an age group are either really passionate about the game and like following prospects, or often have a son or something at that level so they have seen them play forever.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Recognized most of the names on that '05 list - so don't really see any problems with it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Recognized most of the names on that '05 list - so don't really see any problems with it.

It's not really about name recognition. Finding the names isn't hard. I know most of those names and I've never seen any of them play other than random highlights. It's the pretending to be a scout part that's tiresome.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
watching them all live is basically an expensive full-time job, but if you happen to live in michigan near the ntdp, you could see many of the top players when the ntdp plays a good ushl team, and then you could watch local youth hockey and tournaments.

speaking personally, I travelled around the country for a few years, now that there is video in basically every rink and at a better quality, I mostly do video. I also try to go to big tournaments near me. if you are lucky then a tournament near you will be big enough that it brings together many top teams from all over the country. that type of thing covers a lot of bases as far as live viewings go. I've found a lot of people who don't work in the sport but actually know a lot about an age group are either really passionate about the game and like following prospects, or often have a son or something at that level so they have seen them play forever.
Thanks for the response. When this whole COVID thing is over I want to try and get to some tourneys. Maybe in MI or Pittsburgh. I also want to get to USA Hockey arena to see the U18s next year.

Reactions: tealhockey

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
What about Tyler Parsons? Have you guys lost hope that he would rise to his full potential? With goalies it is hard to predict. He is still only 22. During his three year stint with Flames organization he played only 27 AHL games and he struggled a lot. In ECHL he improved but there is pretty long way to go if he want to be NHL goalie someday. New scenery for next season is good for him and hopefully he can turn it around-

Jack Campbell was another highly touted American goalie prospect and it took a while for him. Obviously he is only backup and he hasn't become the goalie he was expected to be but least he made it.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
USHL draft day today fellas. some of the guys I'm watching out for:
  • F Mike Stenberg - Thayer - Penn State
  • F Camron VanSickle - Honeybaked 15 - Denver
  • F Jack Larrigan - Shattuck 15 - Notre Dame
  • F Dylan Godbout - Hill-Murray - Wisconsin
  • D Trey Ausmus - East Grand ForksNorth Dakota
  • D Pat Czarnecki - Honeybaked 15 UMass
  • F Nathan Lewis - Oakland Jr. Grizzlies 15
  • F Jimmy Clark - Edina
  • F Andon Cerbone - Brunswick
  • F Quinn Finley - Jr Gamblers
  • F Justin Varner - Honeybaked 15
  • F Owen Baker - Honeybaked 15
  • F Tyler Catalano - St. Louis Blues 16
  • F Chase LaPinta - Dallas 16
  • F Landen Gunderson - Maple Grove
  • F Christian Kocsis - Honeybaked 15
  • D Colby Woogk - Dallas 16
  • D Jackson Dorrington - Cushing
  • D Tucker Shedd - Compuware 15
  • D Kazimier Sobieski - SSM 15
  • D Lukas Klemm - NJ Avs 16
  • F Braeden Beahm - Jr Gamblers
  • F Connor Welsh - Brunswick
  • F Willy Johnson - Edina
  • D Landon Fleming - Oakland Jr. Grizzlies 15

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Jake Furlong & Ryan Schelling are a couple of more '04's that should go early today.

FYI, today is for just the '04's and tomorrow will be for the older players

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Just a heads up for the college hockey fans....Arizona State's new $120 million arena will break ground in November. The area is already fenced up. Once completed, ASU will have one of the best college hockey venues in America with two sheets of ice.

Ray Anderson: ASU moving forward with athletic facilities projects

Thats awesome news.

I wonder if LIU has any plans to do something like this? I dont understand how they can start a D1 hockey program and plan on playing out of a dump like Ice Works.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Yeah I like Furlong too. I was focusing on Americans but if we're talking canucks, big wild card IMO is Tristan Luneau

Hey teal. I saw that Borgesi got picked up by Tri City but I thought he was going to the NTDP. Do you know what happened there?

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Have you guys read anywhere that is there any NHL interest for Hunter Shepard and Cale Morris?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Shattuck St. Mary's has landed quite a few highly touted '06 players for next season, including Cole Eiserman (American from Massachusetts who has a ton of early hype) and Macklin Celebrini (Canadian playing for the San Jose Jr. Sharks as his dad works for the Golden State Warriors).

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Shattuck St. Mary's has landed quite a few highly touted '06 players for next season, including Cole Eiserman (American from Massachusetts who has a ton of early hype) and Macklin Celebrini (Canadian playing for the San Jose Jr. Sharks as his dad works for the Golden State Warriors).

Isn't he pretty big for his age? Let's see if he can stood out in the same way from the others when his opponents are bigger and better.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
They also got Aidan Park from the Jr. Kings. He is the nephew of former NHLer Richard Park. Aidan was the MVP of the Quebec Tournament a couple years ago and made the John Reid All-Tournament team this year as an '06.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Lot's of talent headed to the Mount St. Charles program in Rhode Island next season. All their teams proved pretty successful last year in the program's first year as a "development program" with multiple teams.

Some of the players committed to playing there next season for the different Mount teams (and with where they played last year):

U16 Team - Nicholas Rooney '04, Florida Alliance
U16 Team - Pete Sterling '04, Team Maryland. Goalie, who was a NTDP camp invite
U15 Team - Christopher Pelosi '05, Gloucester Catholic High School (NJ)
U15 Team - Zephyr Tangri '05, LA Jr. Kings. Big time prospect, was drafted #19 overall in recent WHL draft
U15 Team - Alexios Georgaklis '05, San Diego Saints. High-end prospect, drafted #3 by Edmonton in WHL draft
U15 Team - Anthony Cardilli '05, Team IIIinois Bantam Majors
U15 Team - Michael Hagens '05, Long Island Royals
U14 Team - James Hagens '06, Long Island Royals (brother of Michael)
U14 Team - Will Felicio '06, Boston Jr. Eagles

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Isn't he pretty big for his age? Let's see if he can stood out in the same way from the others when his opponents are bigger and better.

I think he's like 5'10. His older brothers (Shane being the most recognizable) are all 6'0 - 6'2.

I'm not making any declarative statements on his potential. He's getting a lot of hype but he's also going into a U14 season. Whether it ends up being justified in 2 years is another question but the wait and see approach until "his opponents are bigger and better" applies to every 13 year old. No one should get carried away about anyone's potential at that age sans the very rare exceptions (i.e. McDavid, Crosby, etc.)

Reactions: ASPIFC

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I think he's like 5'10. His older brothers (Shane being the most recognizable) are all 6'0 - 6'2.

I'm not making any declarative statements on his potential. He's getting a lot of hype but he's also going into a U14 season. Whether it ends up being justified in 2 years is another question but the wait and see approach until "his opponents are bigger and better" applies to every 13 year old. No one should get carried away about anyone's potential at that age sans the very rare exceptions (i.e. McDavid, Crosby, etc.)

He's definitely really highly touted and was the consensus best player in New England at his age group but a lot can change over the next 4-6 years to see how he develops. Over the years there's been a lot of super highly touted 13/14 year olds who've continued to develop and others who plateaued. First names from the northeast who come to my mind are Eichel, Kevin Hayes, Vatrano, Hanifin, Cam Askew, Luke Kirwan, Jake Wise, Brendan Shea, etc. Some have worked out great, some have done ok, and some crashed & burned. Going to Shattuck is a good step for him though and hopefully he continues to develop.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I need to make a trip down there from the Cities. Maybe on a day where I can see the bantams and prep play on the same day.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Lot's of talent headed to the Mount St. Charles program in Rhode Island next season. All their teams proved pretty successful last year in the program's first year as a "development program" with multiple teams.

Some of the players committed to playing there next season for the different Mount teams (and with where they played last year):

U16 Team - Nicholas Rooney '04, Florida Alliance
U16 Team - Pete Sterling '04, Team Maryland. Goalie, who was a NTDP camp invite
U15 Team - Christopher Pelosi '05, Gloucester Catholic High School (NJ)
U15 Team - Zephyr Tangri '05, LA Jr. Kings. Big time prospect, was drafted #19 overall in recent WHL draft
U15 Team - Alexios Georgaklis '05, San Diego Saints. High-end prospect, drafted #3 by Edmonton in WHL draft
U15 Team - Anthony Cardilli '05, Team IIIinois Bantam Majors
U15 Team - Michael Hagens '05, Long Island Royals
U14 Team - James Hagens '06, Long Island Royals (brother of Michael)
U14 Team - Will Felicio '06, Boston Jr. Eagles

Wow Mount is doing some serious recruiting. Looks like they are the new place to be. Funny how a couple of mistakes by Selects@Kent and boom the program is no longer what it was.

Reactions: Dux917
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad