American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Lot's of talent headed to the Mount St. Charles program in Rhode Island next season. All their teams proved pretty successful last year in the program's first year as a "development program" with multiple teams.

Some of the players committed to playing there next season for the different Mount teams (and with where they played last year):

U16 Team - Nicholas Rooney '04, Florida Alliance
U16 Team - Pete Sterling '04, Team Maryland. Goalie, who was a NTDP camp invite
U15 Team - Christopher Pelosi '05, Gloucester Catholic High School (NJ)
U15 Team - Zephyr Tangri '05, LA Jr. Kings. Big time prospect, was drafted #19 overall in recent WHL draft
U15 Team - Alexios Georgaklis '05, San Diego Saints. High-end prospect, drafted #3 by Edmonton in WHL draft
U15 Team - Anthony Cardilli '05, Team IIIinois Bantam Majors
U15 Team - Michael Hagens '05, Long Island Royals
U14 Team - James Hagens '06, Long Island Royals (brother of Michael)
U14 Team - Will Felicio '06, Boston Jr. Eagles

They've definitely been able to turn their year 1 success into more talent for next year. Some more recruits below:

U18 Team - Owen McLaughlin '03 Valley Forge Minutemen & The Hill School - Penn State Commit
U18 Team - Matt McQuiad '03 Kensington Monaghan Farms Wild (Canada) - Cousin of Adam McQuaid
U15 Team - Maddox Tulacro '05 Team Maryland
U15 Team - Conor Ryan '05 St. Joh's Hitmen (Canada)
U14 Team - Luke Gallo '06 Long Island Royals
U14 Team - Jackson Delleo '06 Islanders HC

Also to note, it looks like their schedules should see another step up. They've scheduled a series for all 4 teams vs. Shattuck in RI, a series against Shattuck, Culver & Mission at Shattuck, and had all 4 teams invited to the USHL Fall Showcase. Also, the True Prep Cup will be returning for a 2nd year at Merrimack. I would expect the U14 to be vastly improved this year and be a top 15 team in the country.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
What do you guys think? What would be the maximum number of round one picks this year?

Sanderson - YES
Brisson - Probably
Bordeleau - Maybe
Smilanic - Unlikely
Stranges - Unlikely
Berard - Dark horse
Farrell - Dark horse
Kleven - Would have been dark horse 5-7 years ago. Probably not anymore.

Two or three sounds pretty underwhelming. Perreault would have been nice but not this time.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
What do you guys think? What would be the maximum number of round one picks this year?

Sanderson - YES
Brisson - Probably
Bordeleau - Maybe
Smilanic - Unlikely
Stranges - Unlikely
Berard - Dark horse
Farrell - Dark horse
Kleven - Would have been dark horse 5-7 years ago. Probably not anymore.

Two or three sounds pretty underwhelming. Perreault would have been nice but not this time.

I agree, think other dark horses would be Colangelo, maybe Luke Tuch, Peterson? I think it's a rough year for the first round (though we do have some nice players there) and then a whole lot of guys who could easily go 2nd thru 5th

Wow Mount is doing some serious recruiting. Looks like they are the new place to be. Funny how a couple of mistakes by Selects@Kent and boom the program is no longer what it was.

I don't know how good Selects will be next year but I've heard Bishop Kearney in Rochester has some nice players coming in at the lower ages which will pinch them as well. Only so much space for all these hockey academies before talent starts to dry up a bit you have to figure

Reactions: Dux917

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think we're probably looking at 3-4 first round picks in a best case scenario. But I also don't think this draft is all that impressive (granted I'm not a scout and have limited viewings of a lot of the prospects so huge grain of salt), so it wouldn't surprise me to see guys that shouldn't be first rounders (i.e. Biondi, etc.) sneak in and inflate our numbers a bit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Sanderson, Brisson, Bordeleau, Colangelo and Smilanic are all possibilities, but it’s also unlikely all those guys are first round picks. I’ll say we get three first round picks this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree, think other dark horses would be Colangelo, maybe Luke Tuch, Peterson? I think it's a rough year for the first round (though we do have some nice players there) and then a whole lot of guys who could easily go 2nd thru 5th

I think Powell, Commesso, Miller will go before Tuch and Peterson, although someone might reach on Peterson due to his size and skating.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I think Powell, Commesso, Miller will go before Tuch and Peterson, although someone might reach on Peterson due to his size and skating.
which miller, Joe or Mitchell? But I guess either could. I just don't see them as first round dark horses whereas the league seems to have an appetite for bigger guys. I don't actually think any of them will. Powell possibly....

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
which miller, Joe or Mitchell? But I guess either could. I just don't see them as first round dark horses whereas the league seems to have an appetite for bigger guys. I don't actually think any of them will. Powell possibly....

Mitchell. I hadn’t even heard of Joe. I think Mitchell Miller will be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I don’t know if there are many dark horses for first round. Colangelo would be the main name I’d suggest is a dark horse. If I had to name a second, I’d say Biondi because it doesn’t seem like there’s a good grasp on his range due to his lack of high level games this season.

I do think we’ll have a number of second round picks. I wouldn’t call most of those guys dark horses for the first round, but I might be wrong.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Mitchell. I hadn’t even heard of Joe. I think Mitchell Miller will be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I don’t know if there are many dark horses for first round. Colangelo would be the main name I’d suggest is a dark horse. If I had to name a second, I’d say Biondi because it doesn’t seem like there’s a good grasp on his range due to his lack of high level games this season.

I do think we’ll have a number of second round picks. I wouldn’t call most of those guys dark horses for the first round, but I might be wrong.
I agree I don't think most of those guys are true dark horses other than Colangelo. As far as Joe he will probably be a decent riser IMO. Once the top guys go around pick 90-100 I think he will be very appealing, goal per game this year, really nice skill level, just small. Mitchell is more prototypical NHL dman IMO but a team like Toronto who doesn't seem to mind a small scorer could love him. Plus he is going to Chicago steel where they picked a small scorer in Abruzzese last year

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I can never understand why parents let their kids do this. Unless they’re going to be a guaranteed 1st round pick with at most slipping to the 2nd, it just seems irresponsible to forego college for juniors. I know CHL teams will guarantee scholarships for kids but it still doesn’t make sense to me.
Saganiuk officially signed with Erie yesterday

I think the choice ultimately came to playing time. Being buried on a talented US roster for another year would do him no good,especially with his size. Likely making him go undrafted for 2021. Erie’s GM after the 2019 draft (last April) was quoted saying “Colby right now is 100% committed to USNDT but there is zero doubt in my mind he will become an Erie Otter.” Thus it wasn’t that shocking and possible plan all along with PSU commit being his backup plan

Based on what I’ve seen of his play, stylistically his game much better suites the OHL. Speed and open ice style should benefit him. He will also get immediate top 6/9 minutes. If he wants to be drafted this is his best route

As for NCAA/CHL debate.. it will always be different for every player. Top players like Colby will surely get a “gold” education package from Erie though. This means the second he plays 1 regular season game, he is guaranteed his contract rights of 4 years paid scholarship + housing at a college of his choosing. But in the meantime he gets more ice time in his draft year and gets to play many more games

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Saganiuk officially signed with Erie yesterday

I think the choice ultimately came to playing time. Being buried on a talented US roster for another year would do him no good,especially with his size. Likely making him go undrafted for 2021. Erie’s GM after the 2019 draft (last April) was quoted saying “Colby right now is 100% committed to USNDT but there is zero doubt in my mind he will become an Erie Otter.” Thus it wasn’t that shocking and possible plan all along with PSU commit being his backup plan

Based on what I’ve seen of his play, stylistically his game much better suites the OHL. Speed and open ice style should benefit him. He will also get immediate top 6/9 minutes. If he wants to be drafted this is his best route

As for NCAA/CHL debate.. it will always be different for every player. Top players like Colby will surely get a “gold” education package from Erie though. This means the second he plays 1 regular season game, he is guaranteed his contract rights of 4 years paid scholarship + housing at a college of his choosing. But in the meantime he gets more ice time in his draft year and gets to play many more games

I hope he does well there, I've liked him ever since seeing him play with the Pens Elite two years ago. He alone would shred the Cleveland Barons 16U team when they played divisional games. He would have gotten drafted anyway if he stayed with the NTDP. Going to Erie I don't think automatically rises his draft stock but will for sure give him a different opportunity and he will be one of the elite players on that team. I like going down the I-90 to see a few Otters games a year, especially when they play my fav team the Firebirds.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I hope he does well there, I've liked him ever since seeing him play with the Pens Elite two years ago. He alone would shred the Cleveland Barons 16U team when they played divisional games. He would have gotten drafted anyway if he stayed with the NTDP. Going to Erie I don't think automatically rises his draft stock but will for sure give him a different opportunity and he will be one of the elite players on that team. I like going down the I-90 to see a few Otters games a year, especially when they play my fav team the Firebirds.
If he had another year like last season, I think it’s almost a guarantee he would have gone undrafted. Erie only guarantees him a chance to get more playing time and play a style that probably suites his game better. If he produces good numbers? It will rise his draft stock, potentially a significant rise.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I saw him play at the mid-am regionals with the Pens U16 team. That was one of the best teams I've ever seen at that age. The kid had a good motor and serious speed. I'm rooting for him to succeed whatever route he picks.

Reactions: NTDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think I agree that this was a good decision for him. I think it will help his ice time as he's going to be playing for a team with less depth, but even if that helps him get drafted, I don't know that he's so good that he shouldn't be keeping his options open.

It wouldn't matter much for a first or second round pick, who will almost surely be having some type of lengthy pro hockey career. If he's only a 6th or 7th round pick, he might not be in the game in five years. Those guys often aren't signed by NHL teams, and if they aren't getting signed by NHL teams, they usually don't get more than an AHL tryout or ECHL contract. He could still have a lengthy hockey career without being a high pick or getting an ELC from an NHL team, but I think he should be keeping his options open after the season he had. Not all those NTDP forwards are going to be NHL superstars, and he was arguably the worst of all of them.

If I was him, I'd be putting extra value right now on that college scholarship because there's a good chance he will not get drafted, and a good chance he will not be playing hockey in five years. It seems like a borderline reckless decision to get rid of your college scholarship after the season he just had. But it's also his life. I wouldn't advise him to make this decision, but you can't fault the kid for doing what he sees as best for his life.

Reactions: Oak

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I don't think I agree that this was a good decision for him. I think it will help his ice time as he's going to be playing for a team with less depth, but even if that helps him get drafted, I don't know that he's so good that he shouldn't be keeping his options open.

It wouldn't matter much for a first or second round pick, who will almost surely be having some type of lengthy pro hockey career. If he's only a 6th or 7th round pick, he might not be in the game in five years. Those guys often aren't signed by NHL teams, and if they aren't getting signed by NHL teams, they usually don't get more than an AHL tryout or ECHL contract. He could still have a lengthy hockey career without being a high pick or getting an ELC from an NHL team, but I think he should be keeping his options open after the season he had. Not all those NTDP forwards are going to be NHL superstars, and he was arguably the worst of all of them.

If I was him, I'd be putting extra value right now on that college scholarship because there's a good chance he will not get drafted, and a good chance he will not be playing hockey in five years. It seems like a borderline reckless decision to get rid of your college scholarship after the season he just had. But it's also his life. I wouldn't advise him to make this decision, but you can't fault the kid for doing what he sees as best for his life.

these are good points. Plus next year playing 12-15 games against some the best NCAA teams that are bigger and stronger with high level future pros of their own would be a measuring stick for down the line.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

He is looking at it from a purely hockey developmental angle. He does not want to be a depth player on the NTDP and figures he will get top 6 minutes in Erie. Scholarships and education are a moot point as he most likely received a gold package from the Otters.

Reactions: tealhockey

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I didn't but I suppose the writing is kind of on the wall that you aren't going to be a first option for USA hockey when you don't make the NTDP as one of the top players in your age group. can't blame him

Sova also grew up playing in Canada and only moved to MI 2 years ago with the goal of making the NTDP. I believe it was always the plan to go back home if he didn't make the team. So no surprise if he plays for Canada.

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I haven't seen Cebrian or Stannard recently but I've watched plenty of Schade and Levandowski. Schade is a very solid, pretty mobile two-way defenseman who has some offensive tools. He looked solid the few games he played in the USHL this year, but I'm still not sure he is going to be a top prospect for the draft. Levandowski is kind of a slight, talented scorer who can skate and has really good offensive tools. Both of them I expect to be in the USHL this season (if there is one), where it will be a lot easier to project them. U16 and high school hockey are not the best predictors for what someone will do at the next level. But they both look like very solid potential draftees next year. I probably like Levandowski's upside more but Schade has a good floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->