American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Looking like Max Namestnikov is going to be a top 5 selection in tomorrows OHL Draft. I think the NTDP should be selected as the best players, but I just hope we don't end up losing Max to Russia. If he goes to the OHL which looks likely and then Russia come's knocking for the CHL v Russia games or the U17 challenge and he gets to follow his brother, i just fear we might end up losing a good player.

Reactions: tealhockey

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Looking like Max Namestnikov is going to be a top 5 selection in tomorrows OHL Draft. I think the NTDP should be selected as the best players, but I just hope we don't end up losing Max to Russia. If he goes to the OHL which looks likely and then Russia come's knocking for the CHL v Russia games or the U17 challenge and he gets to follow his brother, i just fear we might end up losing a good player.

Too early to worry about it in my opinion.

So many of the duals we all get stressed about end up largely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I remember when the NTDP was recruiting Daniel Audette. At the time people thought he was a possible big fish for the '96 class. A game changer. And in hindsight he wasn't anywhere close to that birth year's top players. Not the top known commodities at the time (Eichel, Larkin, Tuch, Milano) or the guys (Connor, etc.) that came on later.

Jansen Harkins was another one. Dad is from Ohio and was the first player to be born and raised in Ohio and play in the NHL. He played for USAH numerous times. The Harkins brothers were royalty in Ohio hockey. Dad meets a Vancouver native in Ohio and eventually moves his family there. Folks were bummed about losing his son Jansen to Team Canada. Jansen's a good player but that class turned out to be the best NTDP team/birth year in its history so far ('01s obviously still TBD) and Jansen wasn't even close to being a top player amongst those guys, let alone a guy to fret over.

If anything, I think USAH allows bloodlines / connections to factor in too much to their decisions. A lot of the duals we've seen at the NTDP were some of the most over hyped players for each birth year / team.

Who knows what the future holds for Max. I hope he's great whether he represents USAH or not. I would certainly understand if he wanted to represent Team Russia. There's also the issue that Max may not even eligible to represent Team Russia in IIHF play without a waiver. But right now, I'm more interested if he ends up good enough for it to matter who he represents.

Last edited:

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Anyone else surprised that Arthur Smith was snubbed. He was part of the Youth Olympics roster and i think he is pretty decent goalie prospect. Pretty good size too. With goalies it is even harder to predict but i am still bit surprised that he was not part of the NTDP roster.

I also agree that Namestnikov should have been picked. We don't know if he was offered a spot or not. It is possible that he wanted to play in OHL. Overall good enough IMO and upside is there. I think USA Hockey snubbed him because camp was cancelled. Correct me if i am wrong but i think this would have been his first proper camp with USA Hockey.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Smith was the better of the two goalies at the YOG, but I haven’t watched that much of these guys, so that’s a very loosely informed opinion.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Anyone have anything on Sasha Chmelevski's brother Ilia? Got drafted 11th round by the Niagara Icedogs. A record 37 players from/playing hockey in Michigan were drafted this year .

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Anyone else surprised that Arthur Smith was snubbed. He was part of the Youth Olympics roster and i think he is pretty decent goalie prospect. Pretty good size too. With goalies it is even harder to predict but i am still bit surprised that he was not part of the NTDP roster.

I also agree that Namestnikov should have been picked. We don't know if he was offered a spot or not. It is possible that he wanted to play in OHL. Overall good enough IMO and upside is there. I think USA Hockey snubbed him because camp was cancelled. Correct me if i am wrong but i think this would have been his first proper camp with USA Hockey.
Like you said, goalies are hard. There have been plenty of really strong prospects at that age who didn't pan out and I can't find myself criticizing any decision here too much. Time will tell, NTDP adds guys late/a year in occasionally

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Anyone here have info on Lane Hutson? Is there any chance he goes to the OHL at all in the next couple years? He's seems quite small but incredibly talented

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
There was talk about Namestnikov but i think letting Spencer Sova go was major howler from USA Hockey.

Reactions: JiggsNY

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
There was talk about Namestnikov but i think letting Spencer Sova go was major howler from USA Hockey.
If USAH just picked tournament rosters without any bias and solely to build the best possible roster i think these snubs would be less of an issue. Because hypothetically they should have just as good as a shot making the roster as anyone and the low end NTDPers shouldn't be guaranteed spots. But in most cases if you don't get selected to the NTDP at 15 then you basically have no chance of playing in a major tournament for the US until the U20's and even then you'll be fighting uphill in some cases. And then god forbid you chose to go to the CHL after not making the NTDP. I don't blame these kids for switching when they might have been 50/50 on the fence to begin with and then you get offered a spot with Canada at the U17 or U18s, sure beats siting around for 2/3/4 years without any international play. (besides the WJAC i know, but these kids don't grow up dreaming of the WJAC)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's also important to remember the NTDP doesn't get everyone they want. It's most prominent with the Minnesota kids but just because a guy's not with the NTDP it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have an offer.

Reactions: Dux917

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It's also important to remember the NTDP doesn't get everyone they want. It's most prominent with the Minnesota kids but just because a guy's not with the NTDP it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have an offer.
Yeah. There are a fair share of guys they miss on who they do invite, too. Scouting is an imperfect science. Re: the post about Sova, I liked him more than most of the people I talked to, I get the sense that he is somewhat under-rated or I just saw some good games of his. I think he's a great prospect. We did have plenty of talent on D this year though

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think the USNTDP chose the correct players for next season, instead of necessarily the "best" ones
due to the fact of little team success with choosing the best ones of late.

I think this USNTDP U17 team is built to win. It has almost the best players, mixed with important players, who can win you games.
Or am i completely off with my assessment?.

Its still one of the best teams in many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Poitras

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
USA Hockey has done pretty good job with duals but in recent years there has been some major howlers. They snubbed Callan Foote and he went to Kelowna. Became first round draft pick and went to represent Canada. His brother Nolan just followed him so they lost both. Of course maybe WHL was right path for them. They both also won Gold for Canada so it went perfectly for them.

Thomas Harley became first round draft pick after USA Hockey snubbed him. Tyler Tullio was always going to be good enough for 2002s NTDP team. USA Hockey decided otherwise. These stories also creating challenges because many duals can look now that maybe CHL is better route for them.

Duals are not everything but you have to use your whole talent pool. This is still one of the biggest problems with USA Hockey. NTDP gives a lot for them but it also means that too many guys are lost if they are not picked for NTDP roster.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I think the USNTDP chose the correct players for next season, instead of necessarily the "best" ones
due to the fact of little team success with choosing the best ones of late.

I think this USNTDP U17 team is built to win. It has almost the best players, mixed with important players, who can win you games.
Or am i completely off with my assessment?.

Its still one of the best teams in many years.

I think they did a good job too. There are a few players I would have chosen other than some of the ones they did - but scouting is subjective. My player list will be different than one of your player lists. However - overall I think they pretty much chose the right players. Some will wow with their skill, others will win them games because of their consistency and smarts. I'm not sure which I value more - the shiny penny or reliable teddy bear. I also think (just like every year) there will be some highly touted prospects that have been chosen that will not be highly touted after 2 years and some that are less so now and become the better players on the team by draft day. Sova is a great player and he may become better than some on the team - but to say that it was a glaring mistake is not accurate. Defense in the US at the 04 level is extraordinarily strong - as evidenced at the OHL draft and current USHL Tenders. The NTDP not only scouts for who is great now but how kids project for the future - and there is a lot of untapped potential in some of the kids they chose. It's a difficult task and they had a lot to choose from - let's not forget there are other things that go into building this team that may factor into the equation other than just skill level. They also need players that are willing to buy into the system.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
USA Hockey has done pretty good job with duals but in recent years there has been some major howlers. They snubbed Callan Foote and he went to Kelowna. Became first round draft pick and went to represent Canada. His brother Nolan just followed him so they lost both. Of course maybe WHL was right path for them. They both also won Gold for Canada so it went perfectly for them.

Thomas Harley became first round draft pick after USA Hockey snubbed him. Tyler Tullio was always going to be good enough for 2002s NTDP team. USA Hockey decided otherwise. These stories also creating challenges because many duals can look now that maybe CHL is better route for them.

Duals are not everything but you have to use your whole talent pool. This is still one of the biggest problems with USA Hockey. NTDP gives a lot for them but it also means that too many guys are lost if they are not picked for NTDP roster.
Yeah I would rather USAH go after the dual's that were born and raised in the US like the Foote's and Chychrun, rather than reaching across the border for kids that are born to Canadian parents, raised in Canada and just happen to have been born here, like a Bordeleau. But i won't complain because i admit we do secure a lot of talent that way. If it's a close decision between a couple players i'd rather give the edge to the dual that grew up playing in USA to try and keep them at home.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
USHL Tender: Vinny Borgesi 5'7" 145
NTDP: Lane Hutson 5'6" 125
OHL #1 pick: Ty Nelson 5'7" 175 (wow heavy for little guy)

It will be interesting to track these three players as all are very skilled and highly touted offensive 04 dmen. Will they be able to survive at their size at the next level? Might be a game-changer in hockey if they can. Note - not sure how much bigger they will get. Parents are all small.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
USHL Tender: Vinny Borgesi 5'7" 145
NTDP: Lane Hutson 5'6" 125
OHL #1 pick: Ty Nelson 5'7" 175 (wow heavy for little guy)

It will be interesting to track these three players as all are very skilled and highly touted offensive 04 dmen. Will they be able to survive at their size at the next level? Might be a game-changer in hockey if they can. Note - not sure how much bigger they will get. Parents are all small.

The crazy thing about Hutson is not just his height but his weight. I've seen 130lbs listed, but 125 lbs? Wow. We have more than one 12 year old player on my sons team that weigh that much. I know hitting is going down but as a dman you have to be expected to take a hit here and there in the corner. Will definitely be interesting tracking them.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Guy like Hutson is going to mature a lot during his time with NTDP. World class training programs etc. Fact that he is defender is only worry for me. He is going to get bit stronger but he is not going to grow that much anymore.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
NTDP loses one to the OHL...

Center Colby Saganiuk is leaving USA Hockey’s NTDP to join the OHL’s Erie Otters. The Plainfield, Ill., native had previously committed to Penn State, but will forgo his collegiate eligibility to sign with the major junior franchise. In 59 games with the NTDP U-17 team this past season, Saganiuk registered eight goals and 11 assists. On the smaller side, Saganiuk was once considered one of the top forwards in the ’03 birth year.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

Center Colby Saganiuk is leaving USA Hockey’s NTDP to join the OHL’s Erie Otters. The Plainfield, Ill., native had previously committed to Penn State, but will forgo his collegiate eligibility to sign with the major junior franchise. In 59 games with the NTDP U-17 team this past season, Saganiuk registered eight goals and 11 assists. On the smaller side, Saganiuk was once considered one of the top forwards in the ’03 birth year.
Yep. hope he does well up there. Wonder if NTDP will replace him or what

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

I can never understand why parents let their kids do this. Unless they’re going to be a guaranteed 1st round pick with at most slipping to the 2nd, it just seems irresponsible to forego college for juniors. I know CHL teams will guarantee scholarships for kids but it still doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: ASPIFC

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Saganiuk is not really a loss. Not a bad player at all but he's basically a poor man's Sean Dhooghe at the same age.

I understand his decision to leave the NTDP though. He was a bottom tier forward on the team and wasn't going to supplant those above him. He wants more opportunity, so I get it.

He likely has 3 years in the OHL since he's not (at least now) an NHL prospect. Also, I think it's more complicated to say one should go to the NCAA if they're not a legitimate NHL prospect. Everyone's situation is different. Maybe he's a bad student? Maybe his family is well off and the NCAA scholarship is irrelevant? Maybe the CHL education package is sufficient for his needs?

I wish him well. Hopefully he gets more of an opportunity and does well with it. And hopefully the NTDP doesn't add anyone. They still have 12 forwards. Carrying a 13th is pointless.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Colby is from PA, so likely it played part of this. Penn State was waiting for him tho...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad