American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nothing to do with Kaplan but taking 13 forwards is such a dumb development decision. It's not hard for the NTDP to get temporary replacement players as needed due to injuries. Why you'd want a top player getting 13th forward minutes for an entire season is beyond me.

Wroblewski has always been very good about rotating the lines, and not putting anyone in a 13th forward slot for too long.

Appert will coach this team, if they do the usual rotation. He tends to play his best players more with more set lines and pairs, although this season he rotated more often than I've seen him rotate in the past.

If he rotates, I don't see anyone it being a big problem where there's one player who isn't taking a regular shift.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
that could very well be the exact team, or close to it. to echo others, the only ones i would question are borgesi, kaplan & brindley being omitted - that would surprise me. would think borgesi over muir, then the two forwards added on (thus one of the listed guys above don't make it - getting the number to 13)

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My sources are telling me:

McGroarty
Nazar
Gauthier
Howard
Fleming
Stramel
Cooley
Lucius
Berard
Spicer
Snuggerud
Hejduk (basically replaces Kaplan because of injury concern)

Brzustewicz
Casey
Leddy
Duke
Hutson
Muir
Chesley
Powell

Silverstein
Behrens

You got it but replace Behrens with Muszelik and add Kaplan.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
that could very well be the exact team, or close to it. to echo others, the only ones i would question are borgesi, kaplan & brindley being omitted - that would surprise me. would think borgesi over muir, then the two forwards added on (thus one of the listed guys above don't make it - getting the number to 13)
yeah borgesi is another good one. always a few good players that don't crack these teams tho

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Duke is definitely short. He was listed at 5'7 by USAH at the YOG and that looked accurate as he was clearly one of the shortest guys out there. To his credit he doesn't play small though, similar to a guy like Krug.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Differences in listed height/weights between YOG roster and most current listing:

YOG roster
Vinny Borgesi (5'6", 132 lbs)
Hunter Brzustewicz (5'9", 171 lbs)
Seamus Casey (5'9", 135 lbs)
Ryan Chesley (6'1", 170 lbs)
Tyler Duke (5'7", 155 lbs)
Lane Hutson (5'5", 120 lbs)

Current
Vinny Borgesi (5'10", 146 lbs)
Hunter Brzustewicz (5'9", 170 lbs)
Seamus Casey (5'10", 150 lbs)
Ryan Chesley (6'1", 176 lbs)
Tyler Duke (5'10", 165 lbs)
Lane Hutson (5'7", 130 lbs)

Could be getting some inflated numbers. Could also be that boys in their mid-teens grow.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
If Pierre ends up signing a tender it’ll be very interring to find out what happened. Whether it’s an issue with him, or USAH, or maybe it’s just a Schingoethe situation where he just opted for a tender over the NTDP.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Differences in listed height/weights between YOG roster and most current listing:

YOG roster
Vinny Borgesi (5'6", 132 lbs)
Hunter Brzustewicz (5'9", 171 lbs)
Seamus Casey (5'9", 135 lbs)
Ryan Chesley (6'1", 170 lbs)
Tyler Duke (5'7", 155 lbs)
Lane Hutson (5'5", 120 lbs)

Current
Vinny Borgesi (5'10", 146 lbs)
Hunter Brzustewicz (5'9", 170 lbs)
Seamus Casey (5'10", 150 lbs)
Ryan Chesley (6'1", 176 lbs)
Tyler Duke (5'10", 165 lbs)
Lane Hutson (5'7", 130 lbs)

Could be getting some inflated numbers. Could also be that boys in their mid-teens grow.

Those "current" listings from Elite Prospects aren't to be trusted.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Those "current" listings from Elite Prospects aren't to be trusted.

The Olympic stats are much more accurate than the Elite Prospect stats.
From tournament playbooks this year I have:

Borgesi 5'7"
Brzustewicz 5'10"
Casey 5'9"
Chesley 6'1"
Duke 5'7"
Hutson 5'6

Leddy 6'2"
Powell 5'11"
Muir 6'

I have met and stood next to all but Chesley, Powell and Muir.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has anyone seen Cole Spicer play? Stats aren't everything - choose from innumerable examples to prove the point - but his stats this season certainly beg the question:
Spicer led Honeybaked in scoring with a whopping 51 goals and 169 points. Nobody on the team was within 40 points of his total, including Michigan commit Frank Nazar, who also earned an invite to the U.S. Under-17 Team.

I suggest you read the full article from Brad Schlossman on Spicer's background and road to the NTDP.

That Honeybaked team was absolutely loaded but it's still pretty insane, especially given Nazar's caliber as a prospect. And even if you grant Nazar his PPG average to make up for the games played difference (Nazar at YOG), it's still a 23 point gap between the two.

Is Spicer a legit high-end prospect? Or more one of those guys that thrives at lower levels with quality teammates but doesn't have the tools to transfer that success as the competition gets better?

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Thought he was a big omission from the new U17 NTDP team. He quickly signs with the USHL

Last edited:
Reactions: JiggsNY

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Has anyone seen Cole Spicer play? Stats aren't everything - choose from innumerable examples to prove the point - but his stats this season certainly beg the question:

I suggest you read the full article from Brad Schlossman on Spicer's background and road to the NTDP.

That Honeybaked team was absolutely loaded but it's still pretty insane, especially given Nazar's caliber as a prospect. And even if you grant Nazar his PPG average to make up for the games played difference (Nazar at YOG), it's still a 23 point gap between the two.

Is Spicer a legit high-end prospect? Or more one of those guys that thrives at lower levels with quality teammates but doesn't have the tools to transfer that success as the competition gets better?

Thanks for the article. The kid sounds like he does everything well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad