American Flyers Fans: Which 2010 Loss Was More Heartbreaking? Olympics or Stanley Cup

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I haven't read through the entire thread yet so I don't know if i'm the first one to say the Olympic loss was more heartbreaking immediately.

I attended the Game Six against the Hawks and was sitting right next to the Flyers bench in row two or three. Great seats...when the play wasn't on the other side of the ice. When the play was down the other end most of the Flyers bench was leaning over the boards watching so the view was obstructed a good amount. Well the goal by Kane was scored down on that end and after he scored all I could see was him skating down the ice throwing his equipment in the air right in front of me. I looked at him and then I looked down the ice and didn't see the goal light on. So I had no idea what was going on. I didn't get the "satisfaction" of that moment where it was all over and I was heartbroken. It simply just ended without that moment.

On the other side the idea of beating Canada to win the Gold Medal was something I was heavily invested in. After seeing Crosby score the goal I had that moment of heartbreak and it depressed me much more than the Kane goal did.

Now looking back the loss to Canada has faded and the loss to the Blackhawks stings much more but at the times they occured I would say the Olympics was worse for me.

Haha nope I think it's just you and me to say choose the Gold Medal game. Glad I'm not alone.

Exactly, to beat Canada, especially on their home ice, 30 years after the Miracle on Ice, would have just been just amazing. Not o mention how much it would've done for the growth of the game in America. I was building the gold medal game in my mind about two years leading up to the Olympics, and to come so close and lose was such heartbreak.

Clown Baby*

I was disappointed when the Flyers lost. That's the extent of it, though. There were so many good memories, and my expectations going in were so low, that a Cup would have been the cherry on top. Plus, I was a little happy to see Blackhawks fans rewarded after having to endure Dollar Bill.

The Olympics were a whole new level of disappointment I haven't felt since the Stevens hit. All those smug Canadian fans came out in full force after their leader, that little **** Crosby, iced the game. I'm still not over it. I want Team USA to curb-stomp the competition so bad, it's almost unhealthy.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Simply put:

Sb5yk4T.gif

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I was disappointed when the Flyers lost. That's the extent of it, though. There were so many good memories, and my expectations going in were so low, that a Cup would have been the cherry on top. Plus, I was a little happy to see Blackhawks fans rewarded after having to endure Dollar Bill.

The Olympics were a whole new level of disappointment I haven't felt since the Stevens hit. All those smug Canadian fans came out in full force after their leader, that little **** Crosby, iced the game. I'm still not over it. I want Team USA to curb-stomp the competition so bad, it's almost unhealthy.

The disappointing part of it is, USA basically came as close as you could to curb-stomping the competition as it possibly could without winning the gold medal.

5-0-1 with a +15 goal differential.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The gold medal.

Just kidding. It's the Cup by a mile. That's the holy grail. Even though the weirdness of the Kane goal and knowing that Leighton was terrible softened the blow in the moment, it's the Cup. I've been following the team for 17 years now and that's as close as they've been to reaching the mountain top, and each year tacks another failure on to that number.

Seeing the US win gold would be nice, but seeing the Flyers win the Cup would be the pinnacle of my sports fandom.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'll put it this way:

Losing the Olympics was a kick in the balls

Losing the Cup was a stab in the heart

Cup, AINEC

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
When the US didn't win gold I didn't really care much, it was a good game I was over it in like 3 mins BUT when the Flyers lost in the finals it took me months to get over it, crushed my soul that's twice in my lifetime I've witnessed the Flyers lose in the finals, (well '87 I was watching but was only 7)
So yeah it's not even close the Cup is waaaaayyyy more important than a medal

1997 sucked on so many levels.
Lindros was a ghost until there was 2 seconds left in game 4 and they were swept out. goaltending once again wasnt good enough. shocking I know.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
1997 sucked on so many levels.
Lindros was a ghost until there was 2 seconds left in game 4 and they were swept out. goaltending once again wasnt good enough. shocking I know.

There was enough blame to be spread around and not let anyone feel left out in '97... As Murray said, it was a choking situation. And Lindros became a ghost after Game Four also as he vanished in thin air leaving Desjardins to face the salivating questioning Media mob.

The only good thing about it was that the Internet was in its infancy and there was no Blogs and/or Twitter to dissect it... especially good for the players and Organization. :shakehead

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was enough blame to be spread around and not let anyone feel left out in '97... As Murray said, it was a choking situation. And Lindros became a ghost after Game Four also as he vanished in thin air leaving Desjardins to face the salivating questioning Media mob.

The only good thing about it was that the Internet was in its infancy and there was no Blogs and/or Twitter to dissect it... especially good for the players and Organization. :shakehead

Let's also not forget that the 97 Red Wings were pretty damn well loaded. Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Larionov, Fetisov, and the rest of those Russians. The Flyers were a good team, but they were overmatched going in to that series.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
'04 was more heartbreaking than '10
I did not think they would beat Chicago
I thought either eastern team would beat Calgary or San Jose

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
'04 was more heartbreaking than '10
I did not think they would beat Chicago
I thought either eastern team would beat Calgary or San Jose

this is a good point.

'04 was kind of a surprise too. it's incredible they made it as far as they did given what happened to the d-core. for me '10 is more disappointing simply because they were 3 wins closer to the end goal.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Let's also not forget that the 97 Red Wings were pretty damn well loaded. Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Larionov, Fetisov, and the rest of those Russians. The Flyers were a good team, but they were overmatched going in to that series.

Looking back now with history as a guide, we can see the '97 Wings as the First of very nice stretch for those players and the Team... That said IIRC the Flyers were favorites with the Home Ice Advantage in hand... The Wings played as well as they should, while the Flyers played like shadows of themselves... The Wing arced up and not only returned to the Dance with many players from that team, but won again with them... The Flyers on the other hand never returned with that group of players and fritted away their chance. It is not that the Flyers lost to what ended up to be nothing short of a great group of players ready to start their run, it's the fact that the Flyers embarrassed themselves and didn't give themselves a sniff at a chance at the Cup. I don't have stats in front of me, but I can remember that the stars of the Flyers did not shine.

... SI wrote the following about the Flyers of that Series:

The choking incident

It isn't much of a word, but then Philadelphia didn't play much of a series. Defenseman Eric Desjardins uttered that description, give or take a yie, last Friday, some 14 hours after Detroit had waxed Philly 6-1 in Game 3 and 10 minutes after Murray .. had stunned a gathering of reporters by saying, "It is basically a choking situation ... for our team right now."
In the first three games, seven of the Red Wings' 14 goals had come off blatant defensive errors or odd-man rushes, and the Flyers had scored only one goal at even strength. What's more, Hextall and Snow had each allowed a 55-plus-foot, kick-your-team-in-the-groin goal; Detroit enforcer Joe Kocur, a beer league refugee who has the shooting touch of a stevedore, had one more goal than Philly star Eric Lindros; and only two Flyers, Rod Brind'Amour and John LeClair, had even scored. All in all, Murray might have stumbled upon the mot juste.

Expressions like salary cap and commercial flight are sure to raise the hackles of a pro athlete, but none guarantees a more visceral response than the word choke ...

"It's probably easier coming from the media," Desjardins said. "But I don't think any pro athlete likes to hear that, especially from his coach." ...

On Friday, as Murray was talking himself into trouble, Lindros, the Philadelphia captain, was heading for safety. After an emotional team meeting, he slipped out of the rink, leaving his teammates to face the media firestorm over the "choking situation." After five seasons in the NHL, the 24-year-old Lindros still has trouble with accountability. He could have scribbled a little happy face on the bleakness, talked about his own play and maybe even bailed out Murray, although given Lindros's cool relationship with the coach, that would have been a stretch. Instead he took the easy way out ...

Lindros, who scored his only goal of the series with 14.8 seconds remaining in Game 4, is hockey's dominant player, but when things don't go his way, he looks as if he wants to stamp his feet and sulk. Sure, the Philadelphia goalies lived down to modest expectations and the Flyers' defense was careless, but as the franchise player, Lindros is expected to carry the team. "A great player has to earn the right to be great," Murray said.

You can read the entire article here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/features/si_stanley_cup/1997/

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I'm a Canadian Flyers fan...can't say anything about 2010 Olympics(Cause we won...sorry) but the Stanley Cup final crushed me...I was so cheering for Leighton and than a shot from behind the goal line beats him...F@#K!!!

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
The '97 loss was tough as that was probably one of my first rabid seasons as a Flyers fan. I was 12, so I finally understood hockey and even further understood that I was watching one of the best players in the game in Eric Lindros. That was a tough, sad series.

The '10 series was just...it hurt and I was pissed, but I knew at the time that Leighton was not Brodeur and we were an 8th seed that made it into the playoffs on a shootout win. I was at the shootout win and that was an exciting time, but it didn't feel right. Hindsight is 20/20 and I feel OK about it now, given Chicago was and is the more talented team, but when Leaky let in that goal........I saw him pinned there against the post and I KNEW it was in. I stormed out of my friends house while everyone looked on and went home to sulk. Childish, but I was upset.

The Olympics do not come close to the pain I felt in either series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad