American Flyers Fans: Which 2010 Loss Was More Heartbreaking? Olympics or Stanley Cup

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Around Olympic years the question always arises which would you rather win, gold medal or Stanley cup?

Us Flyers fans from the USA were fortunate enough to experience both events, but also unfortunate enough to come up short on both occasions under eerily similar OT goals.

So my question is what loss was more heartbreaking for you? And was it by a lot or by only a little?

For me it was actually the Olympic Gold Medal game.
It was only by a little, and maybe because I missed all of regulation of Game 6 because of a baseball sectional tournament I didn't get as emotionally involved in the game as the Gold Medal one, but I'd consider the gold medal loss the hardest loss I've ever experienced as a sports fan.

I'd also say I'd rather win the gold medal than the Stanley Cup this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Stanley Cup, I'm a Flyers fan first. In terms of 2010, my expectations for the US team that year wasn't that high. I would have settled for a bronze going into that tournament because of the youth on the team anything further was just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The spectacle of the Olympics is something to marvel at. Hockey does it so well. It really is the best of the best against eachother. Its so much fun to watch I could watch Latvia vs Slovenia and be entertained. The Flyers are MY team though. The cup and its not close.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but if you lived in the Philly Area for some time, you may feel quite differently.

I was at Game Six... and after I finally realized that the gloves flying off was not due to a brawl breaking out, but that the OT goal had been scored... I was proud of my team, but greatly disappointed and... yes... heartbroken. That may have been my best chance ever to see the Flyers win the Cup in person, since I share my Season Tickets 50/50... so the Flyers would have to be in a clinching position at home, and then I would only have a 50% chance of having the ticket. So, after being a Flyers Fan since their inception and a Season Ticket Holder since the Mid-Seventies... and coming up short so many times in the SCF -- I did not attend the 1974 Clincher -- you may say that that stinkass goal that an average minor league goalie would have stopped 99.999% of the time, after such a stellar Playoff Run that included coming back from 0-3 goals afte 0-3 games, was indeed a heartbreaker.

They didn't even get a medal... losing the SCF nets you nothing... An Olympic Gold would be nice, but 1) I would not be in attendance, and 2) while I do enjoy the Olympic hockey as it is a World Tourney with some of the greatest players on earth... I really hate the Olympics itself, stemming from the Cold War and the unfair decisions, Pros playing against Amateurs, and capped off with the adding time on the clock to allow the USSR to STEAL the gold in Basketball.

... And it really isn't even close for me.

RJ8812*

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but if you lived in the Philly Area for some time, you may feel quite differently.

I was at Game Six... and after I finally realized that the gloves flying off was not due to a brawl breaking out, but that the OT goal had been scored... I was proud of my team, but greatly disappointed and... yes... heartbroken. That may have been my best chance ever to see the Flyers win the Cup in person, since I share my Season Tickets 50/50... so the Flyers would have to be in a clinching position at home, and then I would only have a 50% chance of having the ticket. So, after being a Flyers Fan since their inception and a Season Ticket Holder since the Mid-Seventies... and coming up short so many times in the SCF -- I did not attend the 1974 Clincher -- you may say that that stinkass goal that an average minor league goalie would have stopped 99.999% of the time, after such a stellar Playoff Run that included coming back from 0-3 goals afte 0-3 games, was indeed a heartbreaker.

They didn't even get a medal... losing the SCF nets you nothing... An Olympic Gold would be nice, but 1) I would not be in attendance, and 2) while I do enjoy the Olympic hockey as it is a World Tourney with some of the greatest players on earth... I really hate the Olympics itself, stemming from the Cold War and the unfair decisions, Pros playing against Amateurs, and capped off with the adding time on the clock to allow the USSR to STEAL the gold in Basketball.

huh?

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

I do agree the fact I live in Milwaukee may distort it a bit.

I cheer for the popularity of the game in the Milwaukee area a lot and a gold medal would do wonders for growing the game. Plus during the olympics I could actually cheer with other fans here (shocking I know there are not many Flyers fans here).

It was very close, about a tie which loss was worse, but if I had to choose one game to win it would've been the gold medal game.

As bad as some aspects of the olympics are, the best players representing their country on an international spotlight every four years really gets me pumped.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Re my writing; "Pros playing against Amateurs".

Before 1986, Professional Athletes were not allowed to compete in the Oylpics... America, and Canada, as well as most of the Western Nations, would not be allowed top send members of their Pro Leagues... Other nations did not have that concern since they really had only Amateurs, since they did not have the Pro Leagues. In the US almost all the most talented athletes would become Professional, and thus could not participate in their Sport in the Olympics... For example, none of the Flyers of the Bully Era could play in the Games, and you'll notice that the 1980 Gold Medal USA Hockey team were entirely made up of Amateur players... of course including college players. Players for the USSR and most other nations had no such problem as their top athletes were Amateurs... unlike the West, not having any Professional Leagues... So what resulted was basically the College kids and pure Amateurs of America playing against the best athletes of other nations, who would be Professional had they paying Leagues, and a culture that supported them... In basketball there were no real problems -- before the rob-job I alluded to -- but in other Team Sports, there was often a great disadvantage.

In some cases such as Boxing, Cuba had their best boxers free to compete, and they were outstanding at the highest level of their classes... The US would be hard pressed to beat the likes of Teofilo Stevenson who was a Heavyweight who could have been the World Champ had he been able to compete as a Professional by the Castro and the Cuban Government.

This is what I meant when I said Pros playing against Amateurs... The West had the true Amateurs, while the USSR, China, Cuba, East Germany and most other countries had what were for all intents and purposes, Professionals... and the competition at times was not fair. I suppose 'Pros against Amateurs' was technically not the case... but in all reality it was the case. Of course, today such a rule would not be as disastrous with so many nations best athletes being Professionals in one League or another, in one country or another.

I hated the Olympics for having that situation... along with the East and West judging being almost entirely bias.

Sorry to be misleading... and I'm also sorry for my long winded explanation. LOL

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Cup for me.

The Olympic squad gets thrown together for 3 weeks, you watch them, enjoy the hockey (it's awesome), either your country wins or they don't, then it's over. Way more invested in the Flyers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
2010, not close either. The Olympics are bonus hockey to me. I enjoy the games and definitely pull for the U.S., but I don't get overly involved. My parents on the other hand, love the Olympics. Then again, my dad openly admits that the "Miracle on Ice" was better than the Flyers' two cups.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I wasn't even that disappointed when Canada won in overtime. I was happy for Richards and Pronger. I doubt you'll find many people from Philly who were more upset over the Olympics. Not that it is a bad thing, but people around Philadelphia tend to grow up "Flyers fans" more so than "Hockey fans".

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Not that it is a bad thing, but people around Philadelphia tend to grow up "Flyers fans" more so than "Hockey fans".

The reason why you say this is because people around Philadelphia are usually introduced to the sport of hockey via the Flyers and so the Flyers become the gateway into the sport. At the age of six, I was introduced to the sport of hockey because my Uncle had been a Flyers season ticket holder. Since then, my love for the sport has grown exponentially, and I watch and research as much as I can about the sport, but my first "true love" in hockey was the Flyers, so they will always come first. I consider myself a hockey fan, but I am only a hockey fan because of the Flyers, and I bet the majority of hockey enthusiasts in the Philadelphia area have similar experiences in being introduced to the sport and feel the same way.

That being said, I enjoy watching the Olympics, but I tend to root for the Flyer players and/or prospects participating. I'm American, but I've never had a big connection with the American team. Perhaps if I was around when the Miracle on Ice happened, I may feel differently. Then again, those were much different times with all that surrounded the Olympics politically speaking to allow that team to become such an important symbol for the country.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Cup. My rooting interests are usually local over national. It's nice if your country's team wins gold, but the idea of celebrating that accomplishment pales in comparison to celebrating a cup (and parade, etc.) with your friends and neighbors. And I'm sure that's a very big possibility of celebrating/partying in Canada when they win gold, but it's not going to happen here in the states. When USA won basketball gold in the summer Olympics we basically as a collective said "good, they better have won." Now, maybe if American Football was an Olympic sport, you could see that change.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Re my writing; "Pros playing against Amateurs".

Before 1986, Professional Athletes were not allowed to compete in the Oylpics... America, and Canada, as well as most of the Western Nations, would not be allowed top send members of their Pro Leagues... Other nations did not have that concern since they really had only Amateurs, since they did not have the Pro Leagues. In the US almost all the most talented athletes would become Professional, and thus could not participate in their Sport in the Olympics... For example, none of the Flyers of the Bully Era could play in the Games, and you'll notice that the 1980 Gold Medal USA Hockey team were entirely made up of Amateur players... of course including college players. Players for the USSR and most other nations had no such problem as their top athletes were Amateurs... unlike the West, not having any Professional Leagues... So what resulted was basically the College kids and pure Amateurs of America playing against the best athletes of other nations, who would be Professional had they paying Leagues, and a culture that supported them... In basketball there were no real problems -- before the rob-job I alluded to -- but in other Team Sports, there was often a great disadvantage.

In some cases such as Boxing, Cuba had their best boxers free to compete, and they were outstanding at the highest level of their classes... The US would be hard pressed to beat the likes of Teofilo Stevenson who was a Heavyweight who could have been the World Champ had he been able to compete as a Professional by the Castro and the Cuban Government.

This is what I meant when I said Pros playing against Amateurs... The West had the true Amateurs, while the USSR, China, Cuba, East Germany and most other countries had what were for all intents and purposes, Professionals... and the competition at times was not fair. I suppose 'Pros against Amateurs' was technically not the case... but in all reality it was the case. Of course, today such a rule would not be as disastrous with so many nations best athletes being Professionals in one League or another, in one country or another.

I hated the Olympics for having that situation... along with the East and West judging being almost entirely bias.

Sorry to be misleading... and I'm also sorry for my long winded explanation. LOL

Sean Couturier makes $925,000 a year = professional hockey player

Shawn White makes $10,000,000 a year = amateur snowboarder.

Just sayin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad