American Flyers Fans: Which 2010 Loss Was More Heartbreaking? Olympics or Stanley Cup

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
When the US didn't win gold I didn't really care much, it was a good game I was over it in like 3 mins BUT when the Flyers lost in the finals it took me months to get over it, crushed my soul that's twice in my lifetime I've witnessed the Flyers lose in the finals, (well '87 I was watching but was only 7)
So yeah it's not even close the Cup is waaaaayyyy more important than a medal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He did, though. Problem is, Niemi made an absurd save, something entirely missing from our own goalie.

Michael Leighton isn't a goalie you should have on your NHL team let alone starting.

Shocking. Or at least it was to Homer.

EDIT: Yes, I'm very bitter about that SCF.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Michael Leighton isn't a goalie you should have on your NHL team let alone starting.

Shocking. Or at least it was to Homer.

EDIT: Yes, I'm very bitter about that SCF.

I can understand why Leighton was there. What I will never understand or forgive: giving him a contract.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Canadian Flyers fans, which was the more disappointing? Stanley Cup 2010 or Crosby scoring the gold-medal goal?

thats hilarious...you know you are a a true canadian flyers fan when you are more pissed that crosby scored than happy canada won gold.and i was more pissed.
yay...canada won but why did it have to be crosby?it was sickening.
flyers winning the cup would mean more to me than anything.period.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can understand why Leighton was there. What I will never understand or forgive: giving him a contract.

I can forgive them for giving him a contract. What I don't forgive is giving Leighton a contract when 6 or 7 goalies were playing musical chairs for 2 or 3 teams, and not waiting out the process. They were even given a second chance when the Blackhawks walked away from Antti Niemi's arbitration award. Probably could have used a .920 goaltender instead of the **** show that led to Bryzgalov.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Both sucked equally as bad.

Beyond proud of both teams, I did however feel like the Flyers were destined to that cup.

Still waiting on that orange parade down broad....

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Well I expected that the good majority would say the Stanley Cup game, but I'm a bit suprised by the amount of AINEC and "whatever" like attitude towards the olympics.

Is it just that the olympics cannot be compared to the Stanley Cup or do most people just not care about Olympic hockey on here.

In Milwaukee I'd say the olympic coverage is pretty intense here, I believe we were the 5th ranked tv market for the 2010 gold medal game. Maybe it's different out East?

Don't get me wrong, the Flyers winning the Cup would be one of the best days of my life, and I was near tears when Kane scored, but nationally speaking in terms of all North American fans, the 2010 gold medal game would probably be the most memorable game since the new millennium, am I wrong?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If we're on here (a largely NHL discussion forum) we're hardcore Flyers fans which means we're more interested in the Flyers then an international competition that comes about every four years. It's also much harder to get a Cup then Gold. There's 30 teams in the NHL and lots of parity as well as necessary quality management to win the Cup. The Olympics is basically a brief competition of a handful of teams that have an actual shot at Gold and with some teams having an inherent talent advantage (Canada namely).

There's also people who just don't care and/or hate the Olympics, like me. It amounts to nationalistic chest-beating to me under the sake of thinly veiled "fair" competition since it's really a tournament where only a few teams have a shot and every team is worse or better off then others inherently and for the foreseeable future. I hate it and it cuts into the NHL season. That's just me though.

Also, for a lot of Flyers fans none of us have ever even seen the Flyers win a Cup. It's been a very long time since the Flyers have won one and many, like myself, weren't even alive at the time the last one was won let alone old enough to even remember it.

Last edited:

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
This is so absurdly not even close.

When the US lot the gold medal game my reaction was basically, "oh that's a bummer."

I still haven't gotten over game 6. I won't ever forgive Leighton for being terrible.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Well I expected that the good majority would say the Stanley Cup game, but I'm a bit suprised by the amount of AINEC and "whatever" like attitude towards the olympics.

Is it just that the olympics cannot be compared to the Stanley Cup or do most people just not care about Olympic hockey on here.

In Milwaukee I'd say the olympic coverage is pretty intense here, I believe we were the 5th ranked tv market for the 2010 gold medal game. Maybe it's different out East?

Don't get me wrong, the Flyers winning the Cup would be one of the best days of my life, and I was near tears when Kane scored, but nationally speaking in terms of all North American fans, the 2010 gold medal game would probably be the most memorable game since the new millennium, am I wrong?

The Olympics are big to some extent in the Philly Area... but the Hockey in it may not be a major attraction. We Philly hockey fans are Flyers fans first and foremost, and then NHL fans and overall Sport of Hockey fans, IMO... We enjoy our Team and we enjoy the game... but take away OUR Flyers and you'll find us enjoying the GAME of hockey. Our Flyers lose and we feel it greatly; Team USA loses and we take what we can out of the Tourney and while disappointed that our team did not take Gold or Medal... we move on.

I believe there is a great Mystique still around the 1980 USA Team... I believe we all hold up a Gold Medal as being what it was in the 1980 win... But in fact, IMO, it was so much different in 1980 for two huge reasons; 1) we were a bunch of so-so average talented kids with heart... pure amateurs with not a lot of NHL hopes nor aspirations, but coached well. We went up as underdogs against the greats of International Hockey... against players that could not only compete in the NHL and against the NHL, but be superstars IN the NHL... AND... 2) It was the height of the Cold War; Communism was both a bitter rival and one of our greatest fears... We simply hated the Reds; the Commies. To take a bunch of amateurs and mold them into an overachieving TEAM that would beat the Commies and be the best in the World to us was unthinkable and really beyond reality at that time. Miracle was more than a cliché.

A Gold Medal now for Team USA in Hockey would be great... but IMO it would be nowhere close to what it was in 1980... So, not only wouldn't losing the Gold not be as disappointing as losing the Cup for Flyers fans, but winning the Gold would not be as great for a Flyers fan as winning another Cup would be... I lived through two Flyers Cups and eight SCFs and two Gold Medals -- only one of which I remember/care about -- There is no doubt in my mind that I would trade all future Olympic Gold won by Team USA for one more Stanley Cup in the time I have left... AINEC

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
1980 was also, again like the Flyers Cup wins, very long ago from a very different era of hockey (and different cultural era in general with the Cold War) that people like me weren't even alive for. So it doesn't have any impact on people like me.

I'm glad the Flyers won Cups back when they did and that the USA won Gold when they did, but it has no impact on me whatsoever because I wasn't alive for it and therefore can't associate it with any kind of feeling or memory. It's that way for everyone my age too whether people talk about it or not.

EDIT: I'm turning 23 very soon so that's how old I am, to give this post some context.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
1980 was also, again like the Flyers Cup wins, very long ago from a very different era of hockey (and different cultural era in general with the Cold War) that people like me weren't even alive for. So it doesn't have any impact on people like me.

I'm glad the Flyers won Cups back when they did and that the USA won Gold when they did, but it has no impact on me whatsoever because I wasn't alive for it and therefore can't associate it with any kind of feeling or memory. It's that way for everyone my age too whether people talk about it or not.

EDIT: I'm turning 23 very soon so that's how old I am, to give this post some context.

Oh I see that point perfectly... and yes, to your generation and other generations, the 1980 USA Team means nothing, as the Cold War is nothing more than a hollow history lessen. I'd say that you probably can understand the Flyers Cups more if you tie it with the 2008 Phillies WS... or just the desire to feel what other NHL teams feel... But that said, you can never understand what the Flyers wins did for all of the Philadelphia fans who were long suffering and had an inferiority complex... Maybe to a point you can see it again with the Phillies 2008 win... if you could imagine it if the Phillies had won again in 2009 against the Yankees, and then went to the WS again in 2010... and then the Phillies' Championship led to a chain reaction where all the Philadelphia teams excelled and all went to the Championship Finals.

I feel for all you young Flyers fans who have never experienced a Cup win... but on upside... you have not been as long suffering as we who have not won one in almost forty years now... Maybe this year we will all be relieved. :D

... Damn you, Michael Leighton and Patrick Kane. :cry:

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

You could be 33 or possibly even 43 for your statement to still have merit in terms of not seeing/remembering both the cups and gold medal win.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
To me, it's more heartbreaking when the Flyers lose in any round of the NHL playoffs, whether it be the first round, or the SCF, than it was to lose the gold medal game. Hell, I would probably be more upset if the Flyers lost a close game to the Pens in a meaningful regular season game.

I just don't have the same level of attachment to a group of players thrown together for the olympics that play for 2 weeks as I do to guys that I see play 3 times a week for an entire season.

Last edited:

MadFerIt95*

Yeah, seriously.

Making the playoffs with that marathon shoot out, the comeback against the Bruins, dominating the Habs as the underdog team; it was a perfect storyline. If we had won the cup in 2010, I really believe we would've been one of the more celebrated teams in NHL history.

And we were so damn close. I could cry thinking about it.

DOminating the Habs was awesome, but I really thought we were the favorites to win that series. We had a much better offense and were the higher seed. Only thing they had over us was goaltending, but Halak was bound to cave eventually after carrying the Habs the first 2 series. That was the only series was the only one I expected to win going in.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I haven't read through the entire thread yet so I don't know if i'm the first one to say the Olympic loss was more heartbreaking immediately.

I attended the Game Six against the Hawks and was sitting right next to the Flyers bench in row two or three. Great seats...when the play wasn't on the other side of the ice. When the play was down the other end most of the Flyers bench was leaning over the boards watching so the view was obstructed a good amount. Well the goal by Kane was scored down on that end and after he scored all I could see was him skating down the ice throwing his equipment in the air right in front of me. I looked at him and then I looked down the ice and didn't see the goal light on. So I had no idea what was going on. I didn't get the "satisfaction" of that moment where it was all over and I was heartbroken. It simply just ended without that moment.

On the other side the idea of beating Canada to win the Gold Medal was something I was heavily invested in. After seeing Crosby score the goal I had that moment of heartbreak and it depressed me much more than the Kane goal did.

Now looking back the loss to Canada has faded and the loss to the Blackhawks stings much more but at the times they occured I would say the Olympics was worse for me.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
I was also at game 6 of the 2010 finals. that was undoubtedly more heartbreaking than the Olympics. I was probably more heartbroken about the end of being able to watch an entire period of hockey on TV without having to see one commercial, than I was about the gold medal loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00