American Flyers Fans: Which 2010 Loss Was More Heartbreaking? Olympics or Stanley Cup

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only part that truly stung in Canada winning the Gold was that Crosby scored the winning goal. If it was Richards or Pronger, it would've been celebrated.

Pales in comparison to theoretically being 2 goals away from winning the Cup.

Sean Couturier makes $925,000 a year = professional hockey player

Shawn White makes $10,000,000 a year = amateur snowboarder.

Just sayin.

Yeah, this is the most annoying thing about people saying Olympics are for amateurs. It's supposed to be the best in the world in these competitions. Some sports outside of the Olympics are obviously more lucrative than others, but Lindsey Vonn isn't waiting tables to make ends meet.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
The only part that truly stung in Canada winning the Gold was that Crosby scored the winning goal. If it was Richards or Pronger, it would've been celebrated.

Yeah, this is the most annoying thing about people saying Olympics are for amateurs. It's supposed to be the best in the world in these competitions. Some sports outside of the Olympics are obviously more lucrative than others, but Lindsey Vonn isn't waiting tables to make ends meet.

I'm sure if she were ever slumming she'd just hit up Tiger for his platinum card.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I met a member of the German youth bobsleigh team (u23 or u21) last year on a train in Austria and had a few beers with him... he said he was effectively on ~30-$35k a year (if I remember correctly... had a crazy week in Belgrade and Ljubljana after!) in funding and sponsorship and had travel paid for, meals etc. He did not have to do anything but train and compete while doing a course at Uni part time.

Not amazing money, especially compared to most big sports... but better than a lot of average joes get in day jobs.

Not exactly amateur... and I imagine the ones one the Olympic team get more.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Cup and it's not even remotely close. I was heart broken. I was collecting local newspapers with headlines along the way, you know conference finals and cup final headlines etc. I still have them and when I see them from time to time I get so sad. :laugh: Being a 1990 baby the 2010 playoffs was the best for me. I mean 2004 was fun and all but being in high school I was more focused on playing hockey. 1997 I was too young to really appreciate it but I remember watching every game with my bros and dad.

RJ8812*

there are barely any amateur athletes in the Olympics anymore. The only ones that are, are the ones representing countries that barely send any athletes to the games

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
Game 6 was one of the biggest punches to the gut I've ever felt as a fan. I was convinced that it was our year and that it was destiny. The atmosphere was amazing, and the late goal to tie it up just made me think everything would turn out right.

Then that OT goal and the absolute silence in the building save for Kane screaming. I was in the top row of the second level (at that end of the ice) and I will never forget how stunned I was. Honestly, that was worse than 06-07.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Game 6 was one of the biggest punches to the gut I've ever felt as a fan. I was convinced that it was our year and that it was destiny. The atmosphere was amazing, and the late goal to tie it up just made me think everything would turn out right.

Then that OT goal and the absolute silence in the building save for Kane screaming. I was in the top row of the second level (at that end of the ice) and I will never forget how stunned I was. Honestly, that was worse than 06-07.

Yeah, seriously.

Making the playoffs with that marathon shoot out, the comeback against the Bruins, dominating the Habs as the underdog team; it was a perfect storyline. If we had won the cup in 2010, I really believe we would've been one of the more celebrated teams in NHL history.

And we were so damn close. I could cry thinking about it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am not American... but 2010 was the worst thing ever for me sports wise...

Worse than the Netherlands losing in the World Cup final.

Worse than England never getting anywhere is soccer world cups or euros.

Worse than Man City getting relegated to the English 3rd tier.

Worse than Man City losing the FA cup final last year.

Worse that Schumacher losing the 1998 title and the 2006 title.

Worse than Patrick Kluivert and Eric Lindros's premature end of careers.

Worse than Georgi Kinkladzes sale, decline and waste of talent due to getting fat. (search him... feet as good as Messi... and I do not jest.)

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
The cup for sure. If olympic hockey was never played again it wouldn't matter to me. Although I do enjoy watching it.

As far as amateurs in the Olympics, everyone is a professional at the sport they compete in. Shaun White, professional snowboarder, Lindsey Vonn professional skier, professional figure skaters etc. It's not like they are going around to ski resorts and plucking people off the mountain saying....hey kid, you want to compete in the Olympics?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't care about the Olympics, so Cup.

If you go on the main boards and ask if the Cup or Olympics Gold is more important most fans will say Cup (and this has been asked on the main boards before). Most hardcore fans, like ones that are going to bother to post on a largely NHL website, are going to say Cup. Olympics are more for "fringe" fans and non-fans in my opinion. People who don't really care about the NHL, but care about beating other countries.

EDIT: Also, key phrase there was "more for" not "all for".

RJ8812*

I only say Cup now bc I've already witnessed my country win 2 golds. If I had not witnessed either, I'd go with Gold

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The Olympics are just a 2 week event. Sure when Canada won in 2010 it was amazing. Bars erupted, house shots were had, car horns were honked... But a week later everything was back to normal.

Living near Toronto, I can say the Gold medal didn't even come close to when the Blue Jays won the World Series, back to back.

I've never seen the Flyers win the Cup. When it happens I will be a one man riot. Miles higher and happier than when Canada won gold.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
cup was way more disappointing. i was working during the gold medal game, but i was not-so-secretly rooting for cannon to get the gold. so i wouldn't even categorize that as disappointing. olympic hockey is amazing to watch but i don't feel an urge to root for USA. i just root for whoever has a flyer.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

There is no comparison with today's Olympians and those prior to the Rule change that allowed 'Professionals' to compete... Back then there was an uneven field; now there is for all intents and purposes a level situation... as with the Hockey players from all countries participating. This was not the case before the change. That is my only point in this... not how much an Amateur can rake in off his talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00