Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
give me habs in 4k and I'll watch on wish.com idgaf
I get a 4K game or 2 a night on SN, and less frequently on TSN, so there are definitely some habs games in 4K on cable.

Came here to say I only own TSN for golf and football and its a near unwatchable abomination

SN hockey and baseball is heads above TSN and its still pretty dust for the value
Disagree, TSN much better.

Reactions: MardyBum

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not in Canada, sadly I never got to experience free NHL center ice 😔 sounds like it was awesome. I would have loved to have something like that back in the early 90s
It wasn’t free for me, if you bought centre ice on cable, you got the streaming version free as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Honestly, at the end of the day aren't these corporations all evil geniuses?

Bell does "lets talk day" then a month later does massive layoffs. They've also just flat out turned off radio stations and told hundreds of people "oh by the way your job doesn't exist".

Rogers lured a pile of guys over during their early years of the contract, not just analysts either. Only to continue to cut jobs year over year.

If one was to avoid these bad companies you'd have to essentially become a caveman and live off the grid somewhere remote :laugh:

This is why the pro gamer move is to hate the CRTC

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I have no idea what numbers you are going with, seems you keep flip flopping as you don't like streaming. Everything is going this way so it's only a matter of time. People complain the NHL is a bunch of dinosaurs yet this is a non-dinosaur move and they still get blasted.

It'll be a trial run for the NHL to get a grasp on whether or not going to a streaming only system will work.
No, just means another package to subscribe to, that’s all.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Apparently, some folks are happy to pay more, in order to get less. We get what we deserve.
1563039006-gigachad.png

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You are acting like we are all octogenarians who call their children to find out how to change the HDMI channel in Canada.

CABLE IS DEAD!! I repeat , CABLE IS DEAD!

Do you think young adults are buying cable packages? This is good for the game. Much more accessible , Rogers deserves this.

There is certainly more people in Canada that own a Prime subscription than people who actually watch hockey
Not sure why you care, you said 2 days ago you pirate everything, and encouraged others to do the same.

Reactions: ORRFForever

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Honestly, at the end of the day aren't these corporations all evil geniuses?

Bell does "lets talk day" then a month later does massive layoffs. They've also just flat out turned off radio stations and told hundreds of people "oh by the way your job doesn't exist".

Rogers lured a pile of guys over during their early years of the contract, not just analysts either. Only to continue to cut jobs year over year.

If one was to avoid these bad companies you'd have to essentially become a caveman and live off the grid somewhere remote :laugh:

Bell was terrible for that. I've publicly posted against them too.

You can't win but you can pick and choose which of these greedy corps see your hard earned money.

Hockey is one of the few things where I cave. I've said before I wouldn't continue to support Rogers but with limited options I've yet to fully walk away.

The off grid thing is right up my alley.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bell was terrible for that. I've publicly posted against them too.

You can't win but you can pick and choose which of these greedy corps see your hard earned money.

Hockey is one of the few things where I cave. I've said before I wouldn't continue to support Rogers but with limited options I've yet to fully walk away.

The off grid thing is right up my alley.
Or you could buy shares in the company and reap the benefits. :)

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
10 years ago, streaming wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. Streaming is 100% the future. I'm not sure how one argues otherwise.

Streaming isn't the future. It's the present. The only people I know who still have cable/satellite are retired. And all of them also stream.

Maybe people that can't get high speed internet are still stuck on cable but the entire country is slated to get high speed internet by the end of next year.

Bell/Rogers have a foot in the door with the NHL by owning the Leafs but if they don't cough up big money for the next national deal, it'll be gone to Amazon or Apple or Netflix and they'll never get it back.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
As I wrote elsewhere...

An interesting situation for all the posters who said for YEARS that the Rogers deal was a win/win - they wouldn't budge saying Rogers did NOT overpay. Such ignorance / arrogance.

BCE (CTV/TSN) is cutting costs (the stock is tanking and analysts are worried about their sky high dividend) and Rogers wants out of their NHL deal. The CBC won't be intereste - if Pierre Poilievre wins the next election, the CBC may cease to exist. Global TV - don't make me laugh. Amazon won't get many eyes in Canada.

Rogers stock is where it was 10 years ago. Poor leadership. Bad decisions. The NHL deal Rogers made 10 years ago was shameful - Bettman and the NHL took Rogers to the cleaners.

It will be a buyer's market for hockey rights in Canada in 2025. I hope Canadian TV returns the favour and grinds the NHL into dust.
I prefer it goes back to NHL Center ice app

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bell/Rogers have a foot in the door with the NHL by owning the Leafs but if they don't cough up big money for the next national deal, it'll be gone to Amazon or Apple or Netflix and they'll never get it back.
That's how Rogers got themselves in trouble 10 years ago. "We have to pay big bucks or someone else will" - now they're trying to give the content away because it's a money pit.

The NHL needs a presence on Canadian TV. Only TSN and Rogers can provide that but it has to be at a price that makes a profit. Play hardball with the NHL.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That's what they said when they signed the deal 10 years ago - the deal would sell phones and streaming. How has THAT turned out? Rogers has been cutting everything to the bone and they're still losing a ton of money.

TSN and Rogers do business with each other all the time. I'd collude and put the screws to the NHL - if Bettman has a problem with it, he can take his business elsewhere.
The implication that the NHL needs these networks more than the other way around is pretty hilarious

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The implication that the NHL needs these networks more than the other way around is pretty hilarious
LOL. Why?

You don't think TSN and Sportsnet would survive without the NHL? Of course they would. Again, Rogers is trying to give the content away. They'd do just fine without it, thanks.

Let the NHL walk away from Canadian TV revenue. See how that plays out.

Anyway, let's say it's a wash. Neither side needs the other.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is horrible news.

The MLB with Apple TV blacking out games so you have to buy their service to use it to watch 1 game a week is f***ing the absolute worst.
At the end of the day, the NHL will end up on either Sportsnet or TSN or both - hopefully, at the right price, so you can always watch it there.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That's how Rogers got themselves in trouble 10 years ago. "We have to pay big bucks or someone else will" - now they're trying to give the content away because it's a money pit.

The NHL needs a presence on Canadian TV. Only TSN and Rogers can provide that but it has to be at a price that makes a profit. Play hardball with the NHL.

TV channels will be dead in a decade. Everything's going to be streamed.

Sportsnet's streaming service will likely survive because they'll be able to control the broadcast rights to the Jays, Raptors and local Leaf games. TSN's future is a little murkier because they don't have the Jays.

Amazon, Apple and Netflix have started dipping their toes into taking away sports content from the channels. They're going to push even harder because sports means guaranteed subscribers and there's a streaming service consolidation coming. Amazon and Apple are so rich they don't even have to make money on it. They can do it just to push out competitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: