Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have no idea what numbers you are going with, seems you keep flip flopping as you don't like streaming. Everything is going this way so it's only a matter of time. People complain the NHL is a bunch of dinosaurs yet this is a non-dinosaur move and they still get blasted.

It'll be a trial run for the NHL to get a grasp on whether or not going to a streaming only system will work.
That's what they said when they signed the deal 10 years ago - the deal would sell phones and streaming. How has THAT turned out? Rogers has been cutting everything to the bone and they're still losing a ton of money.

TSN and Rogers do business with each other all the time. I'd collude and put the screws to the NHL - if Bettman has a problem with it, he can take his business elsewhere.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
SN+ crashes constantly on my gaming laptop and nothing else even lags. I don't have an Amazon account as I hate what the company has meant for small business. That said, I welcome this change as they might finally get me with this move. SN+ is garbage and it's been a maddening experience being their customer.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hello Amazon,

Long time caller, first time listen. I would subscribe to a package that actually let me watch all of the games regardless of network. I don't want ESPN+, TNT, NHL Network, and...whatever the others were on. I want one source. I would pay more than I do for ESPN+ and my DISH account to facilitate this. No blackout dates, no multi-channel broadcast, just access to 82 games and the playoffs.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Sincerely,
The average consumer aka the average hockey fan aka the guy with common f***ing sense aka literally everyone.
I'm going to assume you're young, but the VAST number of people I know will not watch the NHL streaming.

You are acting like we are all octogenarians who call their children to find out how to change the HDMI channel in Canada.

CABLE IS DEAD!! I repeat , CABLE IS DEAD!

Do you think young adults are buying cable packages? This is good for the game. Much more accessible , Rogers deserves this.

There is certainly more people in Canada that own a Prime subscription than people who actually watch hockey
The number of people I know who will watch the NHL on a streaming service is miniscule.

Rogers and BCE have to answer to their shareholders. WE want a return on our investment (and they have NOT been providing that), so if Rogers signs a deal anywhere close to what they signed before, I, and the rest of the shareholders, will want them fired.

If Amazon wants to give the NHL money for the Canadian market. Go for it. We'll see how that plays out. Otherwise TSN and Rogers should let Bettman come to them.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You are acting like we are all octogenarians who call their children to find out how to change the HDMI channel in Canada.

CABLE IS DEAD!! I repeat , CABLE IS DEAD!

Do you think young adults are buying cable packages? This is good for the game. Much more accessible , Rogers deserves this.

There is certainly more people in Canada that own a Prime subscription than people who actually watch hockey
P.S.

That's the EXACT argument people made 10 years ago when the initial deal was signed. Cable is dead, streaming is the future, this will sell millions of cell phones and bring in endless streaming revenue. 10 years later, Rogers is bleeding money on the deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm going to assume you're young, but the VAST number of people I know will not watch the NHL streaming.

The number of people I know who will watch the NHL on a streaming service is miniscule.

Rogers and BCE have to answer to their shareholders. WE want a return on our investment (and they have NOT been providing that), so if Rogers signs a deal anywhere close to what they signed before, I, and the rest of the shareholders, will want them fired.

If Amazon wants to give the NHL money for the Canadian market. Go for it. We'll see how that plays out. Otherwise TSN and Rogers should let Bettman come to them.
americans-when-europeans-suggest-switching-to-the-metric-v0-65e70xwamggc1.jpeg

Change is tough for older people but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a market with newer, more streamlined options.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So it will be $20 a month to watch some games? i'll stick to watching any game for free thanks. Hard times to live today with crazy prices everywhere as it is.
Everyone will. The NHL will need a cable presence in Canada so, if TSN/Rogers play their cards right, they can stick it to Bettman and the NHL. I hope they do.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
americans-when-europeans-suggest-switching-to-the-metric-v0-65e70xwamggc1.jpeg

Change is tough for older people but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a market with newer, more streamlined options.
The same argument was made 10 years ago when many of us said Rogers OVERPAID. Turns out the people who said Rogers overpaid were right.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Everyone will. The NHL will need a cable presence in Canada, so if TSN/Rogers play their cards right, they can stick it to Bettman and the NHL. I hope they do.
Rent is so high, food prices are so high because price gougers, gas is so high. I'm already paying for prime, I am not paying extra for a hockey package, i'll just watch for free.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Rent is so high, food prices are so high because price gougers, gas is so high. I'm already paying for prime, I am not paying extra for a hockey package, i'll just watch for free.
I assume you mean on cable. If so, me too.

My point is : This day has been coming for a long time. The Canadian TV / cable / streaming market is simply NOT that profitable and TSN / Rogers need to stand strong against Bettman and the NHL. If they do, they'll be able to get the exact same deals they have now, for a fraction of what they paid 10 years ago - and, as a shareholder, that is EXACTLY what I want.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I assume you mean on cable. If so, me too.

My point is : This day has been coming for a long time. The Canadian TV / cable / streaming market is simply NOT that profitable and TSN / Rogers need to stand strong against Bettman and the NHL.
Sure...cable. *shifty eyes*

I dunno what this means, but looking on prime it says to pay $19.99 a month to sub to sportsnet and watch sports, so assuming it will be the same and will cost me another $20 to sub to their sports channels?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sure...cable. *shifty eyes*

I dunno what this means, but looking on prime it says to pay $19.99 a month to sub to sportsnet and watch sports, so assuming it will be the same and will cost me another $20 to sub to their sports channels?
They'll want extra.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didnt streaming become huge once covid started?
It became a lot larger as people had no options. You are also seeing more and more of these streaming apps adding things such as more "original TV shows" or "original direct to Streaming movies".

And now of course sports are following this trend of going to streaming apps

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
10 years ago, streaming wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. Streaming is 100% the future. I'm not sure how one argues otherwise.
That's fine but Rogers and TSN don't need to chase what Bettman is selling. If the NHL wants to make a deal with Amazon for the Canadian market, good for them. But, as a shareholder of BOTH TSN and Rogers, the two carriers better stay out of a bidding war for something that will not be profitable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
SN+ crashes constantly on my gaming laptop and nothing else even lags. I don't have an Amazon account as I hate what the company has meant for small business. That said, I welcome this change as they might finally get me with this move. SN+ is garbage and it's been a maddening experience being their customer.
Honestly, at the end of the day aren't these corporations all evil geniuses?

Bell does "lets talk day" then a month later does massive layoffs. They've also just flat out turned off radio stations and told hundreds of people "oh by the way your job doesn't exist".

Rogers lured a pile of guys over during their early years of the contract, not just analysts either. Only to continue to cut jobs year over year.

If one was to avoid these bad companies you'd have to essentially become a caveman and live off the grid somewhere remote :laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Honestly, at the end of the day aren't these corporations all evil geniuses?

Bell does "lets talk day" then a month later does massive layoffs. They've also just flat out turned off radio stations and told hundreds of people "oh by the way your job doesn't exist".

Rogers lured a pile of guys over during their early years of the contract, not just analysts either. Only to continue to cut jobs year over year.

If one was to avoid these bad companies you'd have to essentially become a caveman and live off the grid somewhere remote :laugh:
In chronological order...

1) BCE laid HIGH SPEED fiber across the country - at a HUGE cost.
2) Justin told BCE they had to share the fiber with their competitors.
3) BCE laid off 9% of its work force.

If the Feds / Justin has stayed out of it and let BCE profit from their investment, those 9% might still have jobs.

Last edited:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd happily pay 10+ ish bucks a month, or a hundred something a year, to get access to stream all NHL games. But the NHL seems uninterested in letting their fans pay a reasonable price to get all of their games easily.

So I use other methods to watch hockey. Because that way I can watch any game I want.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It better not means that hockey games won't be available on free cable in Canada.
It won't. The NHL will want their games on cable. BCE / Rogers just won't need to over pay for it - assuming they learned their lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad