Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Exciting news.

The Sportsnet and TSN Apps are absolutely atrocious.
I actually don't mind the SNnow app. Used to rip on it when it came out for lack of features. But I've got used to it and it's nice listening to different broadcasts here and there.

TSN app on the other hand.......feels like an intern developed that

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Instead of buying a cable package with a bunch of extra content you don't care about to consume hockey you can now instead purchase 6 different streaming services with extra content you don't care about to consume hockey.

Sail the seas
I feel it's getting to the point where all these streaming apps are working together. "Lets just randomly switch out content, so that the lazy people have to keep numerous streaming apps to get their fix".

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Came here to say I only own TSN for golf and football and its a near unwatchable abomination

SN hockey and baseball is heads above TSN and its still pretty dust for the value

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Not a fan of the younger generations’ primary means of consuming media having sports game rights? :huh:

This is where everything is headed, it makes sense

This will end up like football (soccer), you will need a different subscription for every cup/league (in hockey, away/home games/every day), it will get out of hand, soon. :thumbu:

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I like the current setup where you can watch all your local games. The last thing I want is you can only watch this game on this.

With baseball certain games were not on cable at all and you had to watch it exclusively through Prime - which sucked.
I don't know about Canada but a handful of Blackhawks games were only broadcast on ESPN+.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
I miss when you were with Rogers you got the NHL package for free and could watch any game you want and could choose home or away feed.

Yet 7 or 8 years later and I feel we are further behind than ever.
Why should it be free?

Anyhow, when the owners locked the players out in the name of a Partnership they took on the moral & ethical obligation to generate as much revenue as possible.

This was their promise and their end of the deal. Players play, owners build revenue.

If they could charge an oxygen delivery surcharge or a step access fee, they must do it. They would be derelict in their duty if they didn’t develop streaming revenues in as many ways as the market presents.

This what the fans asked for and are getting but make no mistake nothing should be free or it wouldn’t exist.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why should it be free?

Anyhow, when the owners locked the players out in the name of a Partnership they took on the moral & ethical obligation to generate as much revenue as possible.

This was their promise and their end of the deal. Players play, owners build revenue.

If they could charge an oxygen delivery surcharge or a step access fee, they must do it. They would be derelict in their duty if they didn’t develop streaming revenues in as many ways as the market presents.

This what the fans asked for and are getting but make no mistake nothing should be free or it wouldn’t exist.
Not saying it should be free, but it sure was nice when it was.

Was also easy to use, which is something I can't say for the current setup

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I miss when you were with Rogers you got the NHL package for free and could watch any game you want and could choose home or away feed.

Yet 7 or 8 years later and I feel we are further behind than ever.
I'm not in Canada, sadly I never got to experience free NHL center ice 😔 sounds like it was awesome. I would have loved to have something like that back in the early 90s

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not in Canada, sadly I never got to experience free NHL center ice 😔 sounds like it was awesome. I would have loved to have something like that back in the early 90s
My dad is the one that told me. He was watching games for a few months and then asked why I don't use it. Had no idea I even had it.

Brent Burns Beard