Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That sucks, I already subscribe to Sportsnet
As I wrote elsewhere...

An interesting situation for all the posters who said for YEARS that the Rogers deal was a win/win - they wouldn't budge saying Rogers did NOT overpay. Such ignorance / arrogance.

BCE (CTV/TSN) is cutting costs (the stock is tanking and analysts are worried about their sky high dividend) and Rogers wants out of their NHL deal. The CBC won't be intereste - if Pierre Poilievre wins the next election, the CBC may cease to exist. Global TV - don't make me laugh. Amazon won't get many eyes in Canada.

Rogers stock is where it was 10 years ago. Poor leadership. Bad decisions. The NHL deal Rogers made 10 years ago was shameful - Bettman and the NHL took Rogers to the cleaners.

It will be a buyer's market for hockey rights in Canada in 2025. I hope Canadian TV returns the favour and grinds the NHL into dust.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Here we go, they will sell Monday night to someone, Saturday to another one, Wednesday to another company, we will need to subscribe to 20 companies, in order to watch the full season, and then they will cry, because people are turning toward piracy. :popcorn:

See: NFL

At least the NFL has the good sense to make local games completely free at all times

Reactions: DaveG and Lt Dan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
In fine with this, so long as Amazon doesn't pay Rogers, and simply threatens to cut off service to its employees.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
great news , cable is dead what are you guys still doing with cable in your houses , shame on you , you guys are getting completely fleeced, by Rogers Canada none the less that's crazy to me

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator and MMC

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I watch all my games in the browser on fibeTV. I don't want having to f*** around between that and the prime app. I HATE APPS

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Rogers and TSN (BCE) should put together a joint package for the NHL: "We'll take the same games we get now but at 60 cents on the dollar for the next 10 years - and we want a guaranteed minimum number of Canadian teams". Take it or leave it.

Then walk away. What would Bettman do? He has NO leverage. Let him go to Amazon and Facebook, etc. They'll lose 80%+ of their Canadian viewers over night.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rogers and TSN (BCE) should put together a joint package for the NHL: "We'll take the same games we get now but at 70 cents on the dollar for the next 10 years". Take it or leave it.

Then walk away. What would Bettman do? He has NO leverage. Let him go to Amazon and Facebook, etc. They'll lose 50%+ of their viewers over night.
I have no idea what numbers you are going with, seems you keep flip flopping as you don't like streaming. Everything is going this way so it's only a matter of time. People complain the NHL is a bunch of dinosaurs yet this is a non-dinosaur move and they still get blasted.

It'll be a trial run for the NHL to get a grasp on whether or not going to a streaming only system will work.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If it means a better presentation in 4k I'd actually rather Amazon get the entire week. Rogers has a terrible presentation. I thought when Rogers originally won the bid we'd see an upgrade to the presentation but I think it's taken a step back from what TSN offered. I'm ready to let another take it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How popular is prime in Canada? Trying to figure out the economics here
Really popular with anyone that shops online as it's essentially a throw in to being a Prime member for quicker deliveries.

Although I do foresee an issue with the senior citizen group that only knows how to use cable.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Rogers and TSN (BCE) should put together a joint package for the NHL: "We'll take the same games we get now but at 60 cents on the dollar for the next 10 years - and we want a guaranteed minimum number of Canadian teams". Take it or leave it.

Then walk away. What would Bettman do? He has NO leverage. Let him go to Amazon and Facebook, etc. They'll lose 80%+ of their Canadian viewers over night.

More like TSN and Sportsnet would lose 80% of their subscribers over night without NHL hockey.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

You are acting like we are all octogenarians who call their children to find out how to change the HDMI channel in Canada.

CABLE IS DEAD!! I repeat , CABLE IS DEAD!

Do you think young adults are buying cable packages? This is good for the game. Much more accessible , Rogers deserves this.

There is certainly more people in Canada that own a Prime subscription than people who actually watch hockey

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Really popular with anyone that shops online as it's essentially a throw in to being a Prime member for quicker deliveries.

Although I do foresee an issue with the senior citizen group that only knows how to use cable.
Could be a way to get them to subscribe. Grandpa from Red Deer wants to see his Oilers play.

Reactions: varsaku

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hello Amazon,

Long time caller, first time listen. I would subscribe to a package that actually let me watch all of the games regardless of network. I don't want ESPN+, TNT, NHL Network, and...whatever the others were on. I want one source. I would pay more than I do for ESPN+ and my DISH account to facilitate this. No blackout dates, no multi-channel broadcast, just access to 82 games and the playoffs.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Sincerely,
The average consumer aka the average hockey fan aka the guy with common f***ing sense aka literally everyone.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

I know plenty of seniors that use Prime Video without an issue. Prime Video on a Fire Stick is way easier to use than most cable boxes.

Reactions: OddyOh

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Can someone potentially clarify:

Does this mean, if something like this were to ever happen, that you’d need to subscribe to two different apps to watch all your games? That’s how it came across to me but not sure I got it right, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad