Trade: Amari Cooper to Dallas for a 1st round pick

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
No he hasn't. He's the same player. Carr being a giant ***** is what has been the main cause of his "regression". He has been open all year. Gruden practically had to beg Carr to throw him the ball and not dump it off underneath just because he saw a flash of an opponent. Bigger question is how this affects Demarcus Lawrence. You aren't replacing D-Law without a first round pick. Are the Cowboys going to tag him again? I like the move for the Cowboys because their division is beyond mediocre and no team has pulled away. They can play defense. They needed a playmaker in the passing game.
Cooper has some serious drop issues, but he brings something they don't have. No other pass catcher on the roster can make plays like him.

But.... I think the question is about the cost. This Cowboys team isn't a WR away from being a contender. Trading this pick also locks them into Dak for next season when there's a strong possibility the season ends with the Cowboys thinking they need to go find a QB, and they just gave away the one main avenue to getting a QB.

Sep 19, 2008
The Cowboys D is fine. THe Cowboys kicker is fine. The Cowboys RB is fine. The Cowboys QB is even fine.

The team literally has people that came off the street at receiver. Having Cooper there is big but won't make them a playoff team.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Will be interesting to see how he fits in the Cowboys offense and with Dak.

Definitely pretty costly for the Cowboys but Cooper still has lots of upside.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nice deal for OAK.

Dak has someone to throw too now. I doubt it will create more success for DAL overall, but anyone who has Cooper on their fantasy team are happy

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cooper has some serious drop issues, but he brings something they don't have. No other pass catcher on the roster can make plays like him.

But.... I think the question is about the cost. This Cowboys team isn't a WR away from being a contender. Trading this pick also locks them into Dak for next season when there's a strong possibility the season ends with the Cowboys thinking they need to go find a QB, and they just gave away the one main avenue to getting a QB.

Who besides the Rams looks like a contender in the NFC? It's wide open. This quarterback class is entirely dependant on two players that are most likely staying in school. Plugged in draft media guys are saying it, you better believe NFL teams know it. Herbert and Haskins are the only 1st round QB prospects.

Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008
Who besides the Rams looks like a contender in the NFC? It's wide open. This quarterback class is entirely dependant on two players that are most likely staying in school. Plugged in draft media guys are saying it, you better believe NFL teams know it. Herbert and Haskins are the only 1st round QB prospects.

I heard Herbert would be staying in school and wouldn't declare for the draft. How do you feel about this?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good pickup for the Cowboys. Still think a 2nd for Cooper would have sufficed.
Well, given that B. Cooks was dear in consecutive years for a 1st, no reason for the raiders to demand less. And Cooks is in his 5th year option and signed a new deal with the Rams.

Sep 19, 2008
What? A 1st? This is the Roy Williams deal all over again.

Super Bowl contender now!!!! /Michael Irvin

I hope he come on First Take to tout about the virtues of the Cowboy and Stephen A goes off :laugh: Those two have had epic arguments on First Take

NO MATTA WHAT HAPPEN YOU DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY

YOU DON'T HOLD EM ACCOUNTABLE :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No he hasn't. He's the same player. Carr being a giant ***** is what has been the main cause of his "regression". He has been open all year. Gruden practically had to beg Carr to throw him the ball and not dump it off underneath just because he saw a flash of an opponent. Bigger question is how this affects Demarcus Lawrence. You aren't replacing D-Law without a first round pick. Are the Cowboys going to tag him again? I like the move for the Cowboys because their division is beyond mediocre and no team has pulled away. They can play defense. They needed a playmaker in the passing game.

It’s definitely enough to make a difference because 9-7 probably wins the division. Wonder what the Eagles can come up with to match because they want a receiver too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Shocked they were able to get a 2019 1st for him straight-up, especially one that may end up being in the top 15.

That said, I do like Amari Cooper the player. He's the same player that he was in the draft and his ability to get open will be great for Dak. He's essentially the opposite of Dez where he won't win any jump balls or be a red-zone threat but will be open all the time. I think he's at his best in the slot, so with Beasley already there we'll see how they use him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Its bad but is it worse than the Bills this season or last years Bears?

The Buffalo Bills, a team who I think about so little I completely forgot that they still have basically only Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones, neither of whom are good. You're right, they are probably worse. At least Beasley can be that 4-40-0 guy while Gallup is a 3rd round rookie who may or may not be decent.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Overpayment but it will be very interesting to see Amari with the Cowboys. He can get open and between a decent o line and Dak's ability to move with his legs and throw on the run, he will have time to run his route and get open. Carr was scared of anyone within 5 feet and loved the dump off/short routes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is such a Jerry Jones move, doesn't surprise me one bit.

With that said, they have a pretty good roster outside of receiver and that division is up for grabs so it might pay off this season.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Now... let's say Cooper doesn't result in monumental change and the Cowboys miss the playoffs... and let's say Dak's play leaves the team thinking they need a new QB...

Well, you just traded away your first rounder, so you obviously aren't getting your QB in the draft. You also just took on a WR whose contract jumps to $14 million next year, so you might not have tons of cap room to chase a free agent QB.
This is probably the best part of the deal for Dallas.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Snarky remarks about Dallas aside, this can easily be a win-win trade. Everything in the NFC is up for grabs with exception of the Rams and upcoming eliminations of the Giants, Cardinals and 49ers.But this all depends on Cooper finally living up to his potential.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
The Cowboys overpaid by a round, but they desperately needed help at WR. I think they would have taken a WR in the first round this year regardless. This pretty much means that Dallas will give Dak the rest of this year and next to prove that he can be a high level QB.

The Qb class this year is up in the air with most experts saying Herbert and Haskins are likely headed back to college, which means the draft in two years is lining up to be loaded at the QB position. So it's smart for Dallas to go all in on Dak before the 2020 draft to see what they have in him. I wouldn't have given up a first because it has the chance of being a high pick but I get the reasoning behind the move. No more excuses for the Cowboys coaches and offensive personnel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad