AM34 Contract

What will make him worth it?

• Total voters

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
40+ goals & 90+ points, two way centre and produces in the playoffs.......if he does that he's worth that contract, if he can't then he's not.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
What a weird poll. OP there is literally zero chance you don’t have motives to cause ****

"literally zero chance"...... when you assume, with such vigorous confidence, despite having zero insight into what you are talking about you only make yourself look foolish.

This poll, was in response to the (un) fair criticism Matthews has received on this board since signing the new contract. If you look up my post history you will see that I've been a pretty staunch advocate of Matthews for years.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A mix of A & B.

Obviously if they don’t win a round or two but he still performes very well in the playoffs that’s not his fault as others must of crapped the bed.

But yeah, being the seconds highest paid player with only 5 years on his contract means you better be playing at least close to a ~100pt pace. Should be in the top 10 in points and top 5 in goals.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
He’s already worth it. Caps doing nothing but going up. Even Nylander doesn’t have a bad contract people are just jealous of Toronto.

Reactions: wetcoast

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
If someone says Nylander has a bad contract I just assume they don't watch games.
Not just a bad contract, a terrible one. I watch all the games, and he has been much better, bottom line is he is not actually contributing to Goals, which is what he is paid for. 7M for a 30~ point player this season is a major issue. Not to mention the biggest floater in the playoffs since Jordan Eberle.

Reactions: Snowman

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
There will be two different versions of Leafs fandom this summer depending on the first round of the playoffs....If it's an early exit and Matthews under performs there will be great pressure on him.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I picked A & B, he needs to be productive at least in the playoffs and be a 40-40 guy consistently, playing at least 70 games a season and move into being one of the top 7 or 8 centers in the league.

He's being payed to be one of the best centers in the league and right now he's not even the best center on his team.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
His PPG is higher than Tavares and he doesn't have Mitch Marner on his wing, but sure.
Right, but Matthews needs to be sheltered by Tavares because he can't handle 1C duties full time. Tavares doesn't need to be sheltered.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
right, Matthews only started scoring once Tavares arrived to shelter him. More great insights.
No, I think the Leafs just realized after last year's playoffs that Matthews doesn't have the stones to match up against the top centers in the NHL as a 1C when it matters and needs help. Hence Tavares was brought in to shelter him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No, I think the Leafs just realized after last year's playoffs that Matthews doesn't have the stones to match up against the top centers in the NHL as a 1C when it matters and needs help. Hence Tavares was brought in to shelter him.

You don't really think that. You know the Leafs just went after the best free agent and would have done the same thing if Matthews was PPG against Boston. But it's okay, do your shtick.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm not sure about Matthews. I get the sense that he's just mailing it in sometimes. But then he does end up producing.

Still, I'm not seeing what I saw the past few seasons. Something's missing. But I'm not sure how to quantify it...

Anyway, if Matthews can develop and put in the effort, she might be worth the contract. But still, it is a serious overpay. You aren't supposed to give RFA contracts of THAT TERM with such an AAV and hope that it gets met. It needs to be an 8 year contract.
A 60 point center isn't worth 6.9 AAV? Please tell me you are not suggesting a 22 year old has peaked?
Nylander has 16 points. Not 60. Just correcting a little mistake here.

BTW, forwards tend to peak at 22, historically.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Option B

Not an exact science really but AM alone cant make them win 2 rounds so option 1 doesnt make sense

This is my answer as well and his 53-30-30-60 line is in line with that.

He needs some health and they will eventually get past Boston or some other team into the 2nd round, it's not like they have a short window here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not sure about Matthews. I get the sense that he's just mailing it in sometimes. But then he does end up producing.

Still, I'm not seeing what I saw the past few seasons. Something's missing. But I'm not sure how to quantify it...

Anyway, if Matthews can develop and put in the effort, she might be worth the contract. But still, it is a serious overpay. You aren't supposed to give RFA contracts of THAT TERM with such an AAV and hope that it gets met. It needs to be an 8 year contract.

Nylander has 16 points. Not 60. Just correcting a little mistake here.

BTW, forwards tend to peak at 22, historically

This season has been a bit of a right off, missing training camp ect.

He has 2 solid 60 point seasons already and can easily be considered as much going forward.

Lots of guys over the age of 22 in the scoring leaders this year as well BTW

2018-19 NHL Skater Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Or are you suggesting that somehow Nylander is now a 25 point guy?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I picked A & B, he needs to be productive at least in the playoffs and be a 40-40 guy consistently, playing at least 70 games a season and move into being one of the top 7 or 8 centers in the league.

He's being payed to be one of the best centers in the league and right now he's not even the best center on his team.

Who is the best center on the team?

Tavares with 13 more points in 14 more GP?

Look Tavares is a great player but Austin is just as good, if not better.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
A 60 point center isn't worth 6.9 AAV? Please tell me you are not suggesting a 22 year old has peaked?
No, I'm not suggesting he's at his peak. However, Nylander is a winger that is on pace for 34 points over 82 games and by Leafs fans own admission, can't produce unless he plays with elite talent.

That isn't worth 6.9 AAV.

Last edited:
Reactions: theblackadder

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No, I'm not suggesting he's at his peak. However, Nylander is a winger that is on pace for 34 points OVER 82 games and by Leafs fans own admission, can't produce unless he plays with elite talent.

That isn't worth 6.9 AAV.

Draisatl couldn't do it until the end of the year this season so seems unfair to say Nylander could never do it. He just played a stretch of games as a center so not sure how you can call him a winger. Not his fault the Leafs have the best C depth in the league.

I'd like to see a player making 7M produce with Marleau and Brown as their wingers lmao

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
There will be two different versions of Leafs fandom this summer depending on the first round of the playoffs....If it's an early exit and Matthews under performs there will be great pressure on him.
yup, and if he underperforms the pressure is 1000% justified

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The only way Matthews earns his contract is if the coach gives him the same opportunities every other star player gets, which will never happen under Babcock.

Opportunity to do what? Is he playing on the 4th line right now? 11 min icetime?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Draisatl couldn't do it until the end of the year this season so seems unfair to say Nylander could never do it. He just played a stretch of games as a center so not sure how you can call him a winger. Not his fault the Leafs have the best C depth in the league.

I'd like to see a player making 7M produce with Marleau and Brown as their wingers lmao

Check out Crosby’s wingers over his career. Much worse.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad